Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Does anybody pay attention to the classifieds anymore!!

Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Does anybody pay attention to the classifieds anymore!!

Old 08-17-2010, 03:10 PM
bblizzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Does anybody pay attention to the classifieds anymore!!

Just wondering, because there are so many stupid cheap deals that have been listed for months now! On everything giant scale, motors, receivers, servos etc. Is everybody that scared or that broke?
Old 08-17-2010, 03:27 PM
ChuckW

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Does anybody pay attention to the classifieds anymore!!

Unemployment is still hovering at nearly 10% nationally. Some areas are 12%-16%. Those that are working are nervous. People are only spending what they have too and this hobby, being a luxury, has to be put on hold for some.

The good news is that there are some great deals for those who have the money and are willign to part with it.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Lnewqban

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bblizzard

.........there are so many stupid cheap deals that have been listed for months now!
I am not aware of those;.....I see models listed at $5K a lot still.[sm=confused_smile.gif]

The only items selling for less are the non-spectrum radio systems.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:52 PM
bblizzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ya,

but no one is parting with it!![&o]
I don't know, but with some things selling for 70% or less than new it just hard to understand.
There are $7000 airplanes for sale for $3000 or less.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Roo Man
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I look every day but nothing has pulled my chain that I can afford. I even sort by the price.

Even if you find a good deal, then you have to d3eal transportation unless you get lucky and find something local.

Gary
Old 08-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Lnewqban

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have to double check those deals.

Again, for people with family obligations, it is easier to buy small and economic staff than otherwise during these times.

One of the reasons for which I don't check the classiffieds as frequently as before are the prices that are off the reality.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:30 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just wondering, because there are so many stupid cheap deals that have been listed for months now! On everything giant scale, motors, receivers, servos etc. Is everybody that scared or that broke?
How many of those deals did you buy?

Old 08-18-2010, 08:44 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I check once a week or so. Didnt see any deals I was interested in. There might be some for planes I dont fly.
Edwin
Old 08-18-2010, 09:40 AM
TFF

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A $7000 airplane might be a good deal at $3000, but 95% of everyone here dont just plop 3Gs at one hit. Even if you have that much in a plane most have to take it in bites and end up spending that much. I usually put more time than money into my planes; that much money and it is going into my homebuilt.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:51 AM
drube

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I look daily but most of the planes I drool over are wayyyy over my budget. lol Hours cut and all..
Old 08-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Tarasdad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you can convince the Social Security Administration to increase my disability income by, oh, 500% or so I might consider looking at a $3k RC airplane, but not before.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Tarasdad

If you can convince the Social Security Administration to increase my disability income by, oh, 500% or so I might consider looking at a $3k RC airplane, but not before.
I hear you Bro!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right now filling the gas tank in the van hurts and I have given up a lot of driving for single items. I try to get everything all set for one day, one trip.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:20 PM
bblizzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

damn, sorry you got harry reid for a senator!

well, i guess from what i am hearing, that maybe people should wait to post items for sale for a while to see if things turn around. Dosen't seem that cheap makes a difference right now, nobodys buying regardles of price even if it may cost them considerably more if things get better.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:58 PM
Gray Beard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well, i guess from what i am hearing, that maybe people should wait to post items for sale for a while to see if things turn around. Dosen't seem that cheap makes a difference right now, nobodys buying regardles of price even if it may cost them considerably more if things get better.
Look at the thing that is running against him. I think he is good for another run in office? So far all it is is a slam campaign, not once has a real issue come up?
Buying a used anything sight unseen on line when i can find better deals right at home also makes no sense. Giant scale is pretty normal in my area and great deals are always right in front of me. I can't get over some of them. I just got rid of my last giant a few weeks ago. We have one great hobby shop here that sells used planes and gear, you get to look it over and no shipping. Just no reason for someone like myself to be bothered looking on line. I also agree that shelling out thousands all in one shot may be cheaper in the long run but it isn't as painful to do it a little bit at a time and you get to choose your gear of choice. Market place shopping just isn't something I like to do. I also decided I enjoy flying smaller planes a lot more and I enjoy building my own. ARFs don't thrill me no mater what size they are.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:59 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I see where kits seem to be at or above the market value...ARF's are everywhere nowadays....come this fall I might unload a bunch of kits (I'll never live long enough to build them all)
Old 08-19-2010, 04:35 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The problem /opportunity in my opinion is also the online retailers are offering great deals .
As stated why buy something on line unseen , ect , plus shipping ?
You look at Tower , Hobby Lobby and Nitro and Hobby King , the deals , the off price coupons , ect make some very interesting combo programs come down in price .
The biggest online retailer again in my humble opinion not offering any great shakes is hobby people -Every week I get there emails "lowest price , great deals lol , not really .
They raised the price on the Black Horse P40 over $100 from the introduction based on demand , now they are sitting with them and the new Top Flight P40 is much better .

Also if you exapnd your horsion from fule to e-flight , the new FMS/Airfield planes by Nitro RC (warbirds) well for $99 thru $219 you get a great flying warbird epo complete with 2.4 radio . I bought the complete package for $209 , took the 2.4 out and installed my spectrum 7 .
Funny thing is that the cheapy 2.4 I got from Nitro with the arf , is now in my A-10 , and it work better , binds easier , and has performed flawlessly vs my Spectrum 7 from Horison . Imagine that ????
Old 08-19-2010, 06:46 AM
summerwind

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

you still didn't answer the question that was asked of you............how many deals have you taken the cheap sellers up on?
Old 08-19-2010, 11:30 AM
bblizzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

since your so worried about it, i bought a 2.4 10x last month and and 2 32x10 props. it's not about me, i am simply stating the fact that there are items for sale now for much less than they were 4 to 6 months ago that sold for much more then. It's an observation nothing more.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Gray Beard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

since your so worried about it, i bought a 2.4 10x last month and and 2 32x10 props. it's not about me, i am simply stating the fact that there are items for sale now for much less than they were 4 to 6 months ago that sold for much more then. It's an observation nothing more.
Some kits I wanted I have seen come up but not any good deals. I found auctions a better way to get my kits in the past. Sense I moved here I haven't found any club auctions worth there salt so i have pretty much gone back to plans building. I'm also keeping my new planes under 80 inches. If I see a real good deal on a kit I may pick it up but then shipping kills most the deals anyway. I just shipped an engine to a friend and UPS got $17.00 for one small box. I went back to the postal service with there if it fits boxes, a better way to go!!
Old 08-19-2010, 07:25 PM
summerwind

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

LOL..just ribbin ya cuz you were asked previously.
same problem though right now for me is lack of hobby funds........just enough to get the stuff like covering and whatnot.
i do look almost everyday though as once in awhile a killer price is posted for something i really want and amazingly i find a way (thx sweetheart[8D]) make the deal.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Klaatu
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

From Walking Tall (1973)
Luan Paxton: Lookin's for free... What I mean is lookin' don't cost nothin'.

I look, which is about all I have the budget for lately. I have noticed some pretty good deals though.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I look and once in a great while buy, but use the advanced search for my state. I want to see you eye to eye. I'm not a very trusting person anymore. There are some long time rcu guys that I will buy from only because I've seen them around for years.
Edwin
Old 08-24-2010, 02:26 PM
bblizzard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow! looks like anything over $1000 isn't getting a second look no matter the value or condition or how cheap it is.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:02 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

And kit sales are at an all time low ....maybe in a month or two when the building season starts things along the kit line will pick up.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:52 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I look, and I have stuff listed too, I'm not giving it away, but I take offers, doesn't bug me that my ads get 1000-1500 hits and no offers,, A lot of guy just window shopping, cash is tight

It has to be a smokin deal and if it's a built plane it must be local for me to bite even if I have the cash,, I would never buy a built plane sight unseen,, that's just crazy in my book, I know people do.

Recent I longed for a 20 size Top flite Elder,, I used to have one on floats years ago and wanted to build another. I saw one posted in the for sale section,, I think he was asking $80 + ship,,, I offered him $50 shipped a couple times as his post renewed over and over, because that was my limit for that plane. he refused over and over,, a few weeks ago I got one on Ebay for $38 + shipping,, under $50 to my door.

Another Deal,,
A few months ago I was browsing the FS and found this local deal http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=635137 That turns out to be an Old Berkley '50s era C/L- R/C kit. He had offers but wasn't willing to ship, which is understandable with the 90+" one piece wing. I drove down (10 miles) to look it over and like many of use he had a bunch of stuff hanging in the garage. He and I wheeled and dealed and He threw in this if I bought the a-26 http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=661220 Well you can see what I sold it for because I was willing to crate and ship it. I may just bring the A-26 down to our warbird fly-in this Sunday along with a few other things I might not build.

I'm always willing to wait for the right deal weather I'm buying or selling. I think many others are doing the same