Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

1st attempt at gas, MAYBE!!

Old 08-18-2010, 08:09 PM
josh42575
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 1st attempt at gas, MAYBE!!

I recently got hold of a Great planes 1/4 scale extra 300 and i'm not sure what to power it with. Ive flown large scale planes but never owned one. The plane calls for a 180 four stroke or a 25cc gas. Im thinking of a good 30cc but im not sure which would be the better or more reliable option. I can get a saito 180 FS which i am much more familiar with but gas is most certainly an option. Im not sure of what are the better engines out there. I'm sure of Saito and if i go with gas im looking for the same reliability. any imput would be greatly appreciated!!!
thanks,
Josh
Old 08-18-2010, 08:54 PM
basman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 1st attempt at gas, MAYBE!!

Josh welcome to the dark side ????? IMHO you can't go past DLE a 30cc rear carb or even side carb if cowl has the room. I have 50 Dl ( deceased front in at 1/2 throlte ) 2/ 55DLE and a 30DLE side carb. I love these motors good price can be picked up local or OS if you are an internet trader heaps of parts muflers readly available.

The 30 DLE I have mounted in a Seagull Super Star 69.3inches http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_guide/kitCompare.cfm
Heaps of power easy to start cheap fuel. I haven't got say more than 8-10 flights on it just because my attention is with the 55 DLE's and doing a lot of practice with that size plane. How every I did hear roomer that there had been some idling issues with the 1st batch 30DLE. Having said that I have had none to speak of and find thier motors awesome.
It wouldn't be hard to find a forum on these motors here somewhere.

One point, don't bench run these motors in. They are air cooled and require that air flow over the fins to maintain a good operating temp. Start em up get it running good ( I haven't had to adjust one from factor set for start up yet ) and get them in the air. Don't do a lot if any long verticle and no hovering. Run them in on standard oil, say lawn boy not synthetic @ 40:1 ADJUST THE RPM RANGE UP AND DOWN !!!!!
I usally mix up a 5lt container of fuel at this mix, then reduce to 32:1 on synthetic premium fuel after that 1st 5lt of fuel.
You can change the plugs if you chose I have had good results with both standard plug and after market.

What wing span What weight the Extra ?
Old 08-18-2010, 09:05 PM
josh42575

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

75" wing span.  My neighgbor is innto large scale aerobats.  I wont have the instruction manual till tomorrow so i cant even remember if it is the great planes model.  I traded a 40 size Ultimate w/ a saito 82 for the plane unused.  The ultimate was beat up but the engine was good so i figure it was a fair deal but now im looking for that unlimited vertical im used to by overpowering my smaller planes.  "60 size extra w/ a saito 115"  type of pull.   without all the extra weight.  Ive got about $350 to spend without having to spend any more on a divorce lawyer so i know im limited but i dont want to sacrifice power and especially reliability. 
I heard the same thing about the DLE 30 but heard the newer or updated version with rear carb has solved their issues

Old 08-18-2010, 09:28 PM
josh42575

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It is the Great Planes Avemco sponsored Extra 300
Old 08-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't even have to give it any thought, the DLE 30cc. I like the side mounted carb but only because it's easier to set up but both rear and side carbs are great engines.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:28 AM
basman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Josh Divorce lawer we have all been there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you are one for over powering then here are a couple Iv'e done

1. Sig Extra 300s 72" wing span (DL 50 )
2. Edge 540 77" wing span ( DL 50 )
3. Great Planes Sukhio SU 31 77" wingspan Dle 55 )
All worked extreemly well as it was a choice of lead weight or usable power, so I opted for power and thats what I got , unlimited verticle short take off's and almosy enough power to be close to much ...alost

The Extra I actually had to move the fire wall back 20mm but gave me a change to strenghen the landing gear, all the others the motors fitted straight in. Now because of ground clearance I ran a 20x10 prop with no issues. It didn't over rev the motor and the only time you full throtle was verticle up lines.

You can go here for a thread on the Sukhoi http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_61..._1/key_/tm.htm
The reason I mention this tread is there is a comparison between the 30 and 55 DLE, both have been installed and flying so you can work it out for yourself. The reason I choose the 55 was as I said either weight or power I have every thing up as far forward as possiable and got a perfect balance that included bringing the rudder servo forward not mounted in the tail as suggested.

I am not famillar with the GP Extra 300 so there might be some home work on your part. By the way I fly a Aeroworks 300 Extra .............................love the Extra it does all I want

Hey the GP Sukhoi is a beauty two I get comments every time it's at the feild, nice build too covering and all good job Great Planes [8D] [8D][8D]

Old 08-19-2010, 05:31 AM
basman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Extra 300

Edge 540

Sukhio SU 31
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78194.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	1486426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98401.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1486427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52818.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1486428  
Old 08-28-2010, 03:25 PM
josh42575

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
went with the FUJI IVMAC 43.   Very easy to start the first time.  ran through about a gallon on the ground with a 20-8 prop.  Saw some elevator flutter which turned out to be the servo reverser i was using.  got rid of it and used mixing instead.  flutter gone.    taxi out and off she went. 

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     lots and lots of power!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-22-2012, 11:04 AM
billgiacomo615
My Feedback: (111)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

where can i find the instructions how to change it from side to rear,i bought a dle30, used one, all the parts are there are there,but there are no instruction, where can i get the instructions that tells how to do it