Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Airtronics Radio

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Airtronics Radio

Old 08-20-2010, 09:45 AM
Penuts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airtronics Radio

Iv'e been thinking of buying a RSD-8000 2.4 radio, i was just wondering if anybody out there has one,and what is your oppinion about it?
Thanks
Dick
Old 08-20-2010, 10:19 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Airtronics Radio

It is a very economical radio.

I've a friend bought one when they first came out as he has always used Airtronics

I cannot see that it is any different than using Futaba, JR, or Spektrum?

It does not have some of the programming features of other brands of eight channel radios but you didn't pay that much for it either and do you really need those features in the program?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I have one and like it. I also have the low end of the Futaba and Spectrum on 2.4. All have performed quite well. Test that I have made on the bench show that the Airtronics and Futaba are more tolerant of brownouts caused by low voltage spikes on the receiver bus. As an electrical engineer, I have convinced myself that the FASST systems used by Futaba and Airtronics is slightly superior to the system used by Spectrum/JR and I'd suspect the same for the Hitec system as it is also a FASST system. Now Spectrum is far more popular, primarily because they were the first into the 2.4 field with reasonably priced systems and, if you are planning to use the Bind and Fly units so popular today, you will be forced to go with their system. I think as time progresses, you will find Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics slowly pull even with and surpass Spectrum purely from a reliability factor but it will be a close race. Fortunately, you will probably fare fine with whatever system you choose as they are all quite good.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:02 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Dick, I have been using an Airtronics 8000 for about a year now. Prize at a Scale Masters qualifier. Has worked fine in two airplanes. My son-in-law lost a model with his due to some sort of radio failure. I was watching and we have not determined what went wrong. The only gripe I have is that you cannot assign a slave channel to the flap channel. Slaves can be assigned to all the other channels. I planned to use two flap servos in a scale model. Had to use a "Y" harness and install the servo in an awkward position to get correct throw direction.
Chuck
Old 08-20-2010, 11:07 AM
w8ye

There are a lot of the Spektrums at our field and there have been unknown failures especially with the 5 channel
Old 08-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Penuts

Strange you cant assigned a slave to the flap channel.However i wont be useing flaps anyways so makes no difference to me.
I have a different brand of radio(wont mention the brand)for argument sakes. I lost one 25% extra 260 to a failure of the elevator pot in
the transmitter.bought a new Katana 140 and lost it on my second flight due to complete radio failure,i had no contact with the plane at all. so you can see why i want a change. one engine and two 25% planes within 2 months is to much for me to handel.
By the way the radio was sent in for repairs after the fist crash, they gave it a complete tune up and informed me no other problems
were found,and gave it a complete bill of health. ya right.I also use two 1000 nicads for my receiver useing two different switches and two different channels in the receiver,over 5.16 volts in both batteries when i got it back to the field.I just cant trust that transmitter anymore.So im looking for a good radio.oh dont mention Futaba please.oops

Dick
Old 08-20-2010, 01:39 PM
w8ye

The programming options on the RD8000 are limited and more like what is found on the 6 channel transmitters of competitors

There are ways to work around the situations.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:26 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I've had one for almost a year. My only complaints are that you can't assign mixes to switches, you can't set one switch for all your dual rates, no expo or dual rates on the rudder, and the sticks aren't as stiff as I would like. But for its price, I'd still pick it above any of its competitors and I've had zero problems with it.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:33 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

I have been flying mine for two years. Pretty boring, it just does exactly as advertised, I have never had a brown out or loss of bind or radio problem of any kind. I fly both gas and glow on mine. Oh, and Airtronics has come out with an economical 5 ch RX, of which I have two but have not used them, yet.

If you fly complex models with need for many mixes, you may need to go to a higher priced more specialized equipment. But for general sport and sport scale flying, these are hard to beat. I also fly Futaba FASST and like it. Futaba costs a bit more. I previously flew JR on FM, but I see too many issues with Spectrum to go 2.4 with them.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:21 AM
lann2004
My Feedback: (8)

Penut I have a RSD 8000 I broke the retract Gimble and sent it in to be fixed 2 weeks ago. I have since bought a new JR since everyone in my club thought I needed to and I gave in. I would like to sell it when I get it back I have 2 recievers and a charger that go with it. If you are interested let me know.

Thanks Lanny
Old 08-21-2010, 09:03 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dick, a coworker of mine recently got back into flying and joined the club. When he did, he bought the Airtronics radio. He claims that he is very pleased with the overall quality and function and the receiver price is great. I was personally impressed with how much radio he got for the money. I definitely like it better than my old DX-7.I think I've seen a couple others at the field too with no complaints.

I am also very happy with my Futaba 8FG. The only down side to it is the initial price I think. It will be more than enough radio for me for quite a while though.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Penuts

Lann, thank you for the offer,but a member at our club has a new RSD8000 he won as a door prize,I will most likley buy his.
thanks again for the offer.
Dick