Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Trailer Buying Help Needed

Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Trailer Buying Help Needed

Old 08-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Flyin Beagle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trailer Buying Help Needed

I am beginning the process of buying a trailer for my planes. I have one major limiting factor that I must contend with in my search. I am required by my neighborhood covenants to store my trailer in my garage. The problem I have is that my door is only 7' tall and I am 6' tall. I have noticed a big differnece in ride height between trailer brands. Does anyone have any info or suggestions on which trailers have the least amount of ground clearance therfore the most potential interior headroom possible. Are there any differnt types of suspension or axles that I should look for that will help me gain more interior height. I know that I am not going to be able to stand up in the trailer, but at the same time I dont want a trailer that is jacked way up in the air wasting potential interior space. The lowest riding trailers I have seen are Uhaul trailers, and I know they will fit in my garage as I used one when I moved some furniture in the rain this spring. Does anyone know who makes these?

Also any other suggestion or lessons learned (door types, lock types, vents, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I have read through the majority of the trailer threads here and while I have come across some great ideas, I have not found any info specifically regarding this subject.

Thanks for your insight.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:53 AM
RICMOD5634

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Trailer Buying Help Needed

Well I am sorry you have to deal with the neighborhood issue. I really hate the idea that others can tell you what you can and can't do on your propery. That said, I'd suggest looking at something in the line of a pop up or fold up top. Torsion axles have less bounce than spring axles. And as a personal thing I'd stay with something in a 13" tire rather than the little ones that look like they are for a wheel barrel. I think the ride is better and they don't sway as much. Sorry I can't be of more help. Best of luck.
Rich
Old 08-11-2010, 02:37 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your close enough to take a ride up to one of the trailer manufactors and REALLY get the straight scoop. Most dealers will try to sell you what they have on the lot.
By talking with a mfg you can see what you need then the dealer can order it. ( some mfg won't sell direct but will help you figure out what you need.) ENJOY !!! RED
Old 08-11-2010, 02:40 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I have a 6x12 Haulmark for my planes with a low roof.
Fits in my garage....

had a bigger trailer but same thing, when we moved it had to go in the garage.....

not the best picture but gives you an idea,,,,

Old 08-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Flyin Beagle

Exeter,
Thats exactly what I am looking for.

I was hoping that someone could give some input on the diferent types of suspension or axles that would allow me to maximize the interior headroom of the trailer. Given that the load on the trailer will be minimal with the planes I didnt know if I could go with less suspension travel and smaller tires to gain some headroom. Any thoughts

BTW not to derail the thread, But I am not at all upset about the neighborhood covenants requiring me to keep my trailer inside. I live in a beautiful neighborhood with an active HOA, and am very happy that they enforce the regulations. That is why I chose to buy here, and that is why and my neighborhood is still one of the most desirable places in Lexington even though it was built 20+ years ago. Most subdivisions this age, that do not have an active HOA would be littered with broken down cars, boats, and overgrown lawns and landscaping. Not mine it is full of beautiful homes with well manicured lawns and mature trees. I love it.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Roo Man

I can share what I have hope it helps.

As you can see by the pictures, it is made by Haulmark [sorry the K is missing]. It is classified as a 5 x 9 inside dimensions are 8'6" length [to the center/front of the radius], 4'9" wide. Ceiling is 5' 1 1/2" to center [roof have curved top] of top measured inside the frame. The door opening is 55" tall by 49" wide. Deck to ground is 15" to 18" depending on how it is leveled with tongue jack.

It has a standard steel axle with leaf springs and 15" wheels and tires. Rides a little rough but I have cushioned all mounting surfaces with foam and have not experienced any problems from rough roads, etc.

I am 6' 3" and have no problem with the inside height. As you can see from the interior picture, I have racked the front of the trailer so I only need to be inside to remove fuse and wing, I can sit on the floor and reach all other items I need.

I am in the process of adding a 110 Volt power outlet that will come in through a port that will let me use 110V with the trailer locked. Also am adding an opening roof vent to help keep heat down.

By the way, I did not buy this as a mobile hanger, it was originally used to move my mother from Houston to Jackson, TN. It cost very little more than U-Haul wanted for three round trips to Houston. If I were to buy for a hanger, I would havegone a little bigger, with double rear doors and a front side door. With my size planes, I prefer the doors over the rear fold down ramp/door, I find you can get closer to work tables, overhead covers, etc with the doors, it also allows you a place to sit confortably if you need one.

Gary
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31860.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	1483060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65162.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	1483061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67782.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	1483062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Io29174.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	1483063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pi16449.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	1483064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xj63083.jpg
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	1483065  
Old 08-13-2010, 01:24 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flyin Beagle,
Not to muddy the waters here, but have you considered buying an entirely seperate vehicle for your planes? I too was considering buying a trailer to pull behind my Jeep Cherokee, but instead I just purchased a full sized GMC cargo van. I can remember having trouble backing my dad's boat into the lake when I was younger, so I decided that a single specialized vehicle would be easier to deal with. My van has a huge cargo space in the back (about 5' x 5' x 10') and doors on the side as well as the back. I plan to hang some shelves on one side and build a 3 tier rack out of PVC pipe where I can strap-down wings or whatever.

It might take me a little while to get used to driving and parking this battleship, but I think it will haul anything I can build!
Old 08-13-2010, 08:56 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: Flyin Beagle

Exeter,
Thats exactly what I am looking for.

I was hoping that someone could give some input on the diferent types of suspension or axles that would allow me to maximize the interior headroom of the trailer. Given that the load on the trailer will be minimal with the planes I didnt know if I could go with less suspension travel and smaller tires to gain some headroom. Any thoughts
The torsion axles give a smother ride and sit lower, you can have a trailer custom built to your specs if you have the $$

prebuilt/designed
Look at Continital Cargo "Low Rider" they come stock with the torsion axles and have an extrior height of 81'-82" so the'll get in a garage
http://www.continentalcargotrailer.c...r&choice=specs

Haulmark has a similar "Low Hauler" line,,
Examples not far from you http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/1867437927.html http://dayton.craigslist.org/ctd/1826303981.html

I've had a CC 7x16 V-nose for 4 years now set up for my Bikes,, they are very good quality trailers

good luck

Name:	Vt57912.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1483301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kb43966.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1483302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp69261.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1483303  
Old 08-13-2010, 12:14 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

I bought my trailer a year ago, and with the research I did, I found the Road Force series from Wells Cargo to offer (what I thought) was great value for the money. They will make any size you want , and I do not believe they will gaff (overcharge) you for a custom order. I ordered a non-standard size (8' wide by 14' long) and I believe they basically charged me basically by the size/area. They did NOT add a lot of extra $$$ just because it was non-standard.

Something else to think about when you order a trailer are the side doors. For only a few hundred dollars more, I got a second door (now I have one on both sides), and I paid a bit extra for the wider ones (36 inches). Even if you go with only one side door, I highly recommend paying a bit more for the wider (36 inch) one.

Order one, get exactly what you want ! This trailer has made life so much easier.

Bob

Old 08-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Flyin Beagle

Thanks for all of the help.

Ho2zoo - I had thought seriously about purchasing a van to use, but I already have 3 vehicles between my wife and I and think the expense of purchasing a semi reliable van, insurance, and maintenance would far exceed the the $2,500 I have budgeted for my trailer.

Scale Only - I really like the idea Low Rider trailers, i looked at one for salre by a private party locally, but he was wanting a mint for it, and it had a lot of rust showing up on the exterior, and the sides were faded pretty badly. Now that I know the terminology I guess its time to start looking online, and talking to dealers.

Thanks for your help and research and stats you all provided.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:07 PM
scale only 4 me

I just meant custom ordering you'll pay a little more than a stock off the shelf model and a lot more than used.

You're right about the front doors,,
When I bought mine it didn't have the front door, my local trailer service/dealer told me "No" I couldn't have one put in because the frame wasn't built for it..
I hate taking No for a answer, so I did it myself. Found the right size door on ebay,,,

p.s.
The RV door is the way to go, can't unlock a regular one from the inside like an RV model,, not to mention the screen

Name:	ec88998.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1483379   Click image for larger version

Name:	fa85482.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1483380   Click image for larger version

Name:	sy63700.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1483381  
Old 08-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Flyin Beagle

Wow, you did an excellent job installing that door. It looks like it was always supposed to be there including the step.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:09 PM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: Flyin Beagle

Thanks for all of the help.

Ho2zoo - I had thought seriously about purchasing a van to use, but I already have 3 vehicles between my wife and I and think the expense of purchasing a semi reliable van, insurance, and maintenance would far exceed the the $2,500 I have budgeted for my trailer.

Scale Only - I really like the idea Low Rider trailers, i looked at one for salre by a private party locally, but he was wanting a mint for it, and it had a lot of rust showing up on the exterior, and the sides were faded pretty badly. Now that I know the terminology I guess its time to start looking online, and talking to dealers.

Thanks for your help and research and stats you all provided.
$2500 is a tight budget for a low boy, but you never know, you look hard enough you'll find one,,, good luck
Old 08-14-2010, 04:30 AM
Roo Man

Flying Beagle,

How big do you want. I would also make sre that the low boy style is going to be cost effective, you may be paying a premium for a few inches. It looks to me like most of the photos show the bottome of the trailer on the center line of the wheels with what looks like very little difference in height aove the road. Just for reference, I paid Approx. $1,600 for my 5' x 9' in early 2007.

Gary
Old 08-14-2010, 05:19 AM
scale only 4 me

deals are out there
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7X12-...otors_Trailers
Old 08-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Flyin Beagle

Scale, only.
I thought that was the perfect trailer for me. It even gave me an excuse to go visit some friends in Nashville. I put a bid in on it, but then I looked up the specs for the overall size and found that it would be a bit too long and wide to comfortably fit in the garage with my wifes new car, so when I got out bid I just let it go.
I talked with a local dealer last night and they can get a 10x6 Homesteader Challenger custom built with a 4" drop axle, and 13" load range D tires, that will make us only have to cut 6" off of the interior height of the trailer. I already hit my head on the roof of a 6' trailer so thats not a huge deal. They priced the trialer at $2200 plus tax. The only question was if they could cut down a side door to fit as well. im waiting to hear back.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:15 PM
scale only 4 me

Wow, that sold cheap too,,, forgot to ask you,, what are you towing with??
Old 08-19-2010, 05:12 PM
huck1199

Why not buy a mini van? I love my T&C, it has plenty of room and stow&go seats.