Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Where to fly near Disneyland?

Old 08-20-2010, 05:55 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Where to fly near Disneyland?

Been in Disneyland for the last couple of days, and im thinking about tanking my kids somewhere to watch guys fly tomorrow. Any one know of a popular field in the LA area? Thought about bringing an EP plane to CA, but didn't have room.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:13 PM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Where to fly near Disneyland?

Whittier Narrows recreation area a Forty five year old public model airplane field. Good place to watch on a visit and quite busy on weekends. If you are lucky you may even see a controlline event going on or even tether cars at the permanent tether car race track, those things reach speeds over 200.

I will look in a few and see if I can get you link to the club there with info. and maps. Its about as close to Disneyland as you will get.

John
Old 08-20-2010, 06:25 PM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

http://www.sgvrcl.org/
Old 08-25-2010, 06:13 PM
scooterinvegas

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Went there Saturday afternoon and there was only one guy there flying. Didn't realize till later that is were Pete from banana hobby films his movies. Next time I drive though the area, I might take a EP plane with me to get in a few flights. Thanks for you help. Scoot
Old 08-25-2010, 06:39 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What time of day were you there?
The sun chases most guys off in the afternoon, because of the south west facing flight-line.
Most activity morings to 1-2pm max

Next time, it's a little further down the road but If you want to see lots of planes on the weekend afternoons, you need to hit Apollo 11 field AKA Sepulveda Basin.
That place is a zoo every weekend (my home field, when I lived near home ;-)) http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=34....8&lvl=17&sty=h
Old 08-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

What time of day were you there?
The sun chases most guys off in the afternoon, because of the south west facing flight-line.
Most activity morings to 1-2pm max

Next time, it's a little further down the road but If you want to see lots of planes on the weekend afternoons, you need to hit Apollo 11 field AKA Sepulveda Basin.
That place is a zoo every weekend (my home field, when I lived near home ;-)) http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=34....8&lvl=17&sty=h
I started flying there in 59 and it was great, I have heard it turned into a zoo but it was the hot ticket for those of us growing up in the valley back then.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:50 PM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas
Thanks for you help. Scoot

Your welcome Scoot. The Narrows was my first adventure onto a developed field and off the schoolyards and produce fields all around the San Gabrial Valley area. Quite an adventure, at that time Phil Kraft used to fly there with some regularity as well as some other great flyers and even Joe Bridi would on occassion come up from the Secret flying site on Terminal Island.

When those guys were doing their thing I would be to embarassed to dig out my junky stuff and Would instead just have a great time watching.

John
Old 08-26-2010, 06:14 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

I started flying there in 59 and it was great, I have heard it turned into a zoo but it was the hot ticket for those of us growing up in the valley back then.
Still a great place to fly,, just gets very busy on the weekend afternoons, just like the 405,,, I can only imagine how many planes are up at once now that 2.4 is here strong... When I flew there It was mostly a midweek or early moring weekend flyer.. My buddy and I would show up early, get in our flights in, break out the lawn chairs and watch the show,, OMG those were good times
Old 08-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When I was flying there, FF and UC, we used to walk over to the RC site and watch the men crash there planes all afternoon long. That was fun for a kid to see and we would laugh ourselves silly watching them. Pulling out the nose of the plane and taking there converted egg beaters to wind up the rubber bands and counting knots. We really have it easy these days and the prices for our toys compared to back then is a really a steel. There weren't any kids flying RC back then, only adults could afford them. We just got a new pilot here from the SFV and he was telling me about weekends there. He really likes our dry lake bed a lot better. I do miss the green though. They were still farming it back in my day.