Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Why Have 72 mhz Radios Not Come Down In Price?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 10:13 AM
mistermnkim
My Feedback: (153)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why Have 72 mhz Radios Not Come Down In Price?

i just bought my first 2.4 a futaba 10cap, i have it in my 1/3 pitts and so far its great. i like so many here have been in this a long time and have tons of 72 stuff and will continue to fly it a long time. ill tell you where the 72 prices have gone WAY down!! right here on the radio classifieds, i still find myself buying up peoples old radio stuff because they bought 2.4 stuff.....
Old 08-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: moodier

HI;What about the fact that now with the avaiable modules can use many of the 72 radios on 2.4 and have the best of both worlds!I have all 3 brand modules for my 9Cs!Looking to get away from Faast and there pricing?Waiting for couple of the HK receivers that work with fast system see they also have them for SPectrum think it was like $15@and the faast were $30!Interesting to see how they work there is a test on them on another site and sounds favorable maybe little less range but they are 8 channel will try them on electric first!!Happy Flying!!
I fly with another pilot using his 9-C with the JR module, JR has the best selections of RXs and better prices. I bought the Hitec module for mine. One thing I don't like is HT goes from 7 to 9 with there RXs and I like using 8s because of the default for two elevator servos. Just a simple thing but it counts. Anyway, for $20.00 I have the module, wish the RXs were cheaper but there prices aren't tham much different from 72. I do like the system Futaba has better then JR but they really have to start giving there RXs some thought, Hitec too. Both make great radios but I think the selection of there RXs is slowing down there sales.
Most of the giant scale pilots I fly with are using JR and they upgrade a lot on there RXs and sell the other guys there lower end RXs for next to nothing. By going Hitec I mess out on that deal.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:24 PM
dcnbear

72 mhz has dropped... New equipment prices may not have dropped but just try to sell your used 72 equipment... Can't hardly give it away... I have a shoe box full of Futaba, JR, Hitec, and other receivers... I have 8, 72mhz transmitters hanging around the shop... At our field there is a box with 6, 72mhz transmitters in it and the box has been there for two weeks and no one has bothered to take any of them home... Bob
Old 08-28-2010, 03:07 PM
PJAMESRC
My Feedback: (19)

THERE IS A COMPANY DYMOND WHICHS ADVERTISE IN MODEL AVIATION MAGAZINE THAT SELLS A TRANS MODULE AND 8 CHAN REC TO CONVERT 72 TO 2.4
CHECK IT OUT ITS ONLY $69.00
Old 08-28-2010, 07:35 PM
cremation101
My Feedback: (2)

Why would someone go and buy a brand new 72 mhz radio with 2.4 availible? Just wondering.

I did. Went into my LHS and saw a JR XP7202 sitting under the glass for $100 with receiver batts 4 didgital servos and hardware.
I bought it and that move upset my old Hitech Prism 7x enough that the module quit.
I like being able to select any channel i need to fly when i want. just go look at the pins on the board, take one down and use it.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:03 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmm, and freedom from the board for me is what it is all about and avoiding that walk or in my case roll to the board to look at pins altogether. That is priceless.

John
Old 08-28-2010, 09:06 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Hmm, and freedom from the board for me is what it is all about and avoiding that walk or in my case roll to the board to look at pins altogether. That is priceless.

John
It is kind of nice and didn't take me long to get used to that luxury. Also, I don't have to worry about forgetting to extend the antenna on the Tx or trying to disguise the antenna on the model.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:00 PM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

I've been flying RC since the early 80's... I still have some old Kraft radios that I don't use. I did retire all my AM radios.

I now fly almost all my planes on a 9C super with a synth module and all my 'Important' ships have a synth RX in them so channel conflicts are nill.

Where I fly there is no interference nor any channel conflicts so as good as the new systems are... I'm not going in that direction until I'm forced too. 

Even though it would be cheap to buy the new module for my Tx ....dollar wise,  it would be very expensive to change out all my receivers.

Call me old school but there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with 72.

Flame on... 
Old 08-28-2010, 10:23 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

ORIGINAL: sensei

Why would someone go and buy a brand new 72 mhz radio with 2.4 availible? Just wondering.

Bob

Brown outs and mystery crashes are just two reasons, other then the fear of hits 2.4 isn't any big deal and 72 is proven over time. If I was buying a new radio I would go 2.4 but yes, 72 is kinda being fazed out with time. Some events are now 2.4 only, that's up to the club or promoter but it is happening slowly. A lot of folks, myself included have too many planes running 72 so if you toss in the price of a new radio and 10 RXs your talking a big pile of cash. I just now bought a 2.4 module for my 9-C and will be slowly changing over as RX money finds it's way into my pockets. Anyone new just getting into the hobby would be silly to buy a 72 system but a lot of us have been doing this for a lot of years and own a lot of gear. OH, I forgot one, pulling out the antenna, I forgot to do that once!!!!!!!!!!! It was ugly!!!!!!!!
Well I guess I am just lucky, but I have been flying with 2.4 for nearly 3 years now and have yet to experience a brown out or mystery crash. I go to many giant scale events and it has been real nice to not worry about somebody leaving a transmitter on in the impound or having to place my transmitter in the impound, while I was attending the Joe Nall this year, it was 2.4 or you did't fly.

Bob
Old 08-28-2010, 10:36 PM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

Bob,  Luck has nothing to do with it......with the size planes you BUILD and fly there's no wonder why you elected to go this route.

Let me ask this though... How many of us are as thorough as you. Many of us will flat out LIE and say ... "yes we are"  but to experience your build threads made me take a second look at the way I've done things in the past and I know for a fact that my planes are alot safer now.  For that I will say THANK YOU SENSEI !!

John Walega
Old 08-29-2010, 12:19 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: wahoo

Bob, Luck has nothing to do with it......with the size planes you BUILD and fly there's no wonder why you elected to go this route.

Let me ask this though... How many of us are as thorough as you. Many of us will flat out LIE and say ... ''yes we are'' but to experience your build threads made me take a second look at the way I've done things in the past and I know for a fact that my planes are alot safer now. For that I will say THANK YOU SENSEI !!

John Walega
Thank you for the kind words John, I have always hoped that the build threads I have done would help others in their builds.

Bob
Old 08-29-2010, 01:08 PM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sensei

Bob

fear, resistance to change oh and the ocst of convertinga fleet of over 30 model airplanes to 2.4Ghz recievers...

I know of many people in this situation. They acknowledge that 2.4Gz is superior technology but the fear of the "black magic" nature of the technology, general human resistance to change and the cost of receivers are the biggest stumbling blocks.

This means that FMPCM still has a market therefore it will attract a premium price. As the shift to 2.4 gathers momentum, and critical mass is reached, FMPCM will drop in price andt then disappear.
However, with ever encroaching property development squeezng our airspace (or forcing us further out of town) I think FMPCM will be banned before that point is reached.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:01 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't think it'll be banned in the US before fading into obsolescence. It's obvious the manufacturers want to get us all on 2.4, given the deals that have been coming around lately. As the market drops out for new 72mhz stuff, they'll stop making recievers and 72mhz will only be available used. Eventually you won't be able to get service for the old transmitters and the recievers will fade out from crashes and age. Given the prices of the Airtronics and Hitec line (and this is just the 1st generation of their products), the holdouts will have to be really motivated to keep 72mhz going once they actually need new stuff. It'll become a choice of $15 for a used replacement reciever vs. maybe $25 for a new 2.4 and another $150 for a radio to go with it that's better than the one you have now.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:23 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

of ocurse when I talk about 72MHz i srefer to Fm in general. Over here 72MHz is used by another user group. We have 35Mhz, 52Mhz and I think 55MHz.

Now that 2.4GHz transmitters hae type approval from the Independant Communications Authority of SA, 2.4GHZ wil rise in popularity. Type approval was one the stumbling blocks since using a transmitter that is not approved is illegal over here. Thats all just changed.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:54 AM
Augie11

About 50% of our membership has converted to 2.4 (52 of 112 members). But many still have some 72, including myself. With 17 aircarft in 'the hangar', I've got 14 on 2.4 and everything new goes on it. But for 3 'oldtimers', 72 is still functional.

We have a youth training program which was kicked off by a substantial donation from a club member who unfortunately passed away several years ago. We offer flite instruction and a complete aircraft to those young people who join and complete the program. Most of us have donated our old (but functional) 72 systems to this program in order to keep it going as long as we can. I would never advise someone new to the hobby to go out and buy a 72 but using it to get folks started has worked out well for us.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Oberst
Banned

Mark my words, 72mhz will not be faded out with the help of AMA, Too much demand for them. If any show bans the 72mhz, well then, I don't go like so many other people.

Pete