Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Wing Bolt Solutions

Old 08-27-2010, 05:42 AM
RICMOD5634

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Wing Bolt Solutions

I have a new ARF and the Nylon wing bolts go into installed blind nuts. The problem is that these nylon wing bolts are very loose fitting, to the point that one will not even tighten up, but shows NO sign of being striped. It is just that loose.
What are your suggestions to this problem. I don't trust them the way they are. And If I can find 1/4-20 metal screws they might just vibrate loose.
Thanks
Old 08-27-2010, 05:57 AM
da Rock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Wing Bolt Solutions

The solution I'd do would be to tap out the metal T-nuts and plug the holes with dowels. Drill and tap new 1/4-20 threads and have a perfect solution. It's as light as is possible, strong as before, and vibration proof. Of course, most modelers nowadays don't have a tap and wouldn't do that amount of work.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:01 AM
da Rock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Most home improvement and hardware stores carry 1/4-20 blind nuts and nylon bolts. The ones your ARF mfg supplies have either defective nuts or bolts or both. (you got an "excellent price" right)

Buy both from the closest home improvement/hardware and replace what came in the ARF.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:06 AM
da Rock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh, I should mention.................

It's quite easy to tap out installed blind nuts in most ARFs. Of course, you need a bolt that fits, but you thread it into the blind nut and then tap it. Look first to see if the nut has been glued, but they usually aren't. If it has been, then go ahead and tap away. The glue usually doesn't hold. I've yet to encounter any that were glued securely at the wing hold-down. Firewall nuts usually are glued almost securely. The thick glue most often seen isn't epoxy and usually hasn't penetrated much, especially on ply.

In a lot of ARFs, the bolt/nut is smaller than 1/4-20 and I've been able to thread the existing holes for 1/4-20. Retrofitting those took only a couple of minutes.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:40 AM
RICMOD5634

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

da Rock, I like the idea of knocking out the blind nut and putting in a dowel and redrilling and retaping. Then I could also add an extra piece of maple under the current block. But I will stop at the local hardware and see if they have any 1/4-20 nylon screws/bolts to check for better fit. I need some extras anyway.
Thanks
Old 08-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just an FYI, the blind nuts you get in most hardware stores are some cheap, soft metal made in China and not worth the effort to install them. Those little tabs tend to break off or go flat when installing them. I just spend the extra money and buy mine at the hobby shop, made in America does mean something these days. The other thing is you can knock them out and dowel the holes then just under drill new holes and tap to 1/4X20, harden the wood with thin CA, let it set and run the tap through again to make the threads smoother. If for any reason the holes ever get buggered up you can drill them bigger and install the way cool threaded brass inserts. I use those once in a while on LG blocks, just saves on doweling if I pull the LG out. I pretty much never bother with blind nuts for wing mounting, the hardened wood works better for me.