Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

ARF manufacturers afraid of??

Old 08-28-2010, 02:37 PM
summerwind

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default ARF manufacturers afraid of??

ARF manufacturers don't like to answer many questions in regards to their products even if PM'ed do they?
i try to ask questions here, but sometimes feel it's best to ask the maker via PM first so as not to ask them to extend themselves liability wise.

what gets me is that whenever i send anyone a PM i always check the "read receipt" box so i know they got the message...................i always get the confirmation too, and maybe once out of ten do i get a reply and the answer is always a beat around the bush solution.

maybe that's why i no longger buy ARFs, and do my own building.

is it really a liability issue going on here?
Old 08-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Steve Percifield
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ARF manufacturers afraid of??

I think part of the problem is that you are PMing a distributor or importer and not the manufacture. So, the people on the other end are not capable of answering many of our questions. I've had the same experience as you, and now, just take my chances.

steve
Old 08-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Lnewqban

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: summerwind

ARF manufacturers don't like to answer many questions in regards to their products even if PM'ed do they?
That has happened to me with two manufacturers that I contacted directly (VietNam and China) by e-mail.
In both cases the response was similar: "Sorry, we cannot offer additional information."

Would liability be the reason?
May be; however, mine were very inconsequential questions.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:27 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

how many of the crashes can be blame on mfg,s they know this and blame pilot error and the less they put out there the better they are they will get two out of you before you realize its junk
Old 08-28-2010, 07:52 PM
da Rock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah, but if you look at how difficult it is to get enough info out of the average modeler to diagnose his problem (look at these threads for awhile ) it's clear why they don't try to help. They don't usually have the manpower.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:02 PM
Charlie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The manufacturers won't tell you anything for fear of crossing their re-label distributors. That is not uncommon for any product that is manufactured by one company and carries another's name on the box/product.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:12 PM
SeamusG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The old "it depends" response holds true here as well.

SIG has been very forthcoming on questions about their ARFs including construction and design compromises as relating to the "China (build) Syndrome". They will share ARF / Kit differences and will make suggestions to the kit builders based on what they have learned about their ARFs as well.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:14 PM
ChuckW

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: da Rock

Yeah, but if you look at how difficult it is to get enough info out of the average modeler to diagnose his problem (look at these threads for awhile ) it's clear why they don't try to help. They don't usually have the manpower.
I do some tech in-house tech support for our products at work and I used to provide support on electrical test equipment and software at a previous job. You are absolutely right. A huge majority of the end-users and "professionals" out there can't describe anything even close to detailed or accurate. I get things like "It won't start, tell me what is wrong" without any other description, testing information, etc. I will ask "what model is it?" and I get "I don't know, I think it is yellow or maybe orange." Then they cop an attitude when you ask for more information.I can only imagine some of the crazy calls they tech guys get at the RC companies.

As for the ARF manufacturers/distributors I imagine the reason for occasional lack of communication is multi-faceted. They are likely understaffed and inundated with calls & e-mails. Certain individuals also may not know certain information so it takes a while to research it. There is also the fact that you have to be very careful what you say in an online arena. Use one wrong word and misinformation spreads like wildfire online; it could cost a lot of money.

I've generally had pretty good luck getting questions answered and problems solved with the more reputable companies. I always handle it in a way that I would like to be approached and anticipate the kind of information they will need and I have it ready. Once the person I am talking to realizes that I am going to be somewhat easy to deal with, they often open up quite a bit more and get more generous.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:34 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

ORIGINAL: da Rock

I do some tech in-house tech support for our products at work and I used to provide support on electrical test equipment and software at a previous job. You are absolutely right. A huge majority of the end-users and ''professionals'' out there can't describe anything even close to detailed or accurate. I get things like ''It won't start, tell me what is wrong'' without any other description, testing information, etc. I will ask ''what model is it?'' and I get ''I don't know, I think it is yellow or maybe orange.'' Then they cop an attitude when you ask for more information. I can only imagine some of the crazy calls they tech guys get at the RC companies.

As for the ARF manufacturers/distributors I imagine the reason for occasional lack of communication is multi-faceted. They are likely understaffed and inundated with calls & e-mails. Certain individuals also may not know certain information so it takes a while to research it. There is also the fact that you have to be very careful what you say in an online arena. Use one wrong word and misinformation spreads like wildfire online; it could cost a lot of money.

I've generally had pretty good luck getting questions answered and problems solved with the more reputable companies. I always handle it in a way that I would like to be approached and anticipate the kind of information they will need and I have it ready. Once the person I am talking to realizes that I am going to be somewhat easy to deal with, they often open up quite a bit more and get more generous.

I think this area begs for more topics. I have been in tech support for a very long time. Actually to me, it is really customer support that is what needs to be addressed. I find a number of issues and I am glad you pointed out some of them. I could almost write a book on this but will certainly refrain since this is a discussion forum.

I can understand if tech support is not getting correct information and that is why they cannot handle the problem. Where does the responsibility belong. We know most end users don't know what is going on and can barely describe their problem. I can understand if tech support is understaffed. What I cannot understand is why a company has something they KNOW is wrong and don't do anything about it.

The time I came along we simply were not taught to give something to someone knowing there was something substandard or we knew "doggone" well it was a problem...substandard glue comes to mind when dealing with ARFs. Let's thin that glue out to save money and throw a covering on it, it should hold up for a little while and the consumer will have to buy another one to replace it. That way we can make more. Isn't that really the mentality that companies have? Let's use the poorest quality of metal for control rods that we can because it don't cost us much of anything to use those cheaper rods. We can save about 1/10 of a cent on each one we produce.

We were taught differently and I do miss that pride in quality that used to exist in our society. Back in the day, you did not last long in business if you did not support your customer. Most would mark you and not buy from you unless there was no other way to get what they needed. You simply lost their business.

If you think this support stuff is bad now, can you even begin to imagine how this will be when the generation(s) of cell phone "texters" come along in our country? Just think, there will be absolutely no personal accountability from anyone. I shutter to think what it will be like in those days.

I think you stated it well when you stated to hang with reputable companies. Many of the companies that we have trouble with should use this slogan, "Let the consumer bear the burden of our problems upon their backs."

After all, it is the government way and companies are falling right in line [X(]

Old 08-30-2010, 12:18 AM
jester_s1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

On quality- Yes, they do cut every corner they can to save a dollar. But a dollar saved in manufacturing is $10 off the retail price. The manufacturers could put the same quality in their planes that a talented kit builder does. But who would buy a $400 ARF when the competition has it for $200? I wouldn't.

As for the original question, if you've ever worked in a service industry you gotta understand that the person answering the phone is on the bottom of the totem pole. If he shows the bosses that he even has a pulse he'll be moved up as soon as there is an opening. The reps for these companies haven't ever built their products. They have gone through the most basic of training and have been given a list of the most common problems and how to fix them. The good reps learn over time what to do and can tell you more, but don't expect to talk to an RC flyer who's been at it for 20 years.