Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Starting Problems ??

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Starting Problems ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 05:40 PM
DragonHeart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Problems ??

Hi,

Hope someone can help on my starting problems, im using an OSMAX 46LA engine with a spinner, the problem is once ive filled the tank and put my electric starter on the spinner, the spinner just pops off, which has become really annoying. Does anyone have any ideas what can cause this as the spinner is on tight and the nut is allways done very tight but when the starter is applied it just forces it off, not allways but probably 80 percent of the time........

Any help would be appreciated, many thx ive been told at the club it could be caused due to overfilling to so losen the glow plug and turn it with the starter but it still sometimes happens ;-0
Old 07-27-2003, 06:04 PM
jacs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How hard is it to turn with bare hands and no power to the glow on. If you are trying to break it in I wouldn't recommend a electric starter. You can bend the conrod with that one.

Just my 2öre.
Old 07-27-2003, 06:50 PM
DragonHeart

it turns quite easily with the starter but without the glow plug in
Old 07-27-2003, 07:07 PM
jacs

You need to have the glowplug in but not connected to power. Hold the engine in one hand and turn the propeller with the other. If it's easy to turn then there should not be any problems othervise go to your local modelflying club and ask them whats wrong.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:51 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Try making sure that the prop is rotated so that it can swing a bit before the piston meets the compression.
Old 07-27-2003, 11:23 PM
jettstarblue

Over primimg, or to rich, backfiring will be caused by these conditions, and will cause this to happen.

Jetts
Old 07-28-2003, 06:35 PM
djay

The clue is in the question, 'after filling the tank'. You will find that the fuel is pushed up the feed pipe to the carb during filling and it fills up the crancase of the engine, and if you are not using the exhaust pressure line to fill, fuel will travel up this when the tank is full, filling up the exhaust pipe,(especially when yacking to someone at the time) which feeds fuel onto the top of the piston causing the engine to lock up when trying to start it, turn the model on its side with exhaust pointing down, after filling and turn the engine gently by hand to allow the exhaust to drain, when the engine starts keep it at idle with glow connected for a short time to allow any excess fuel to be purged from the engine.
Hope this helps, works for me everytime, just remember to drain the engine each time, soon becomes second nature on all your engines.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:38 PM
jacs

How many fill theirs tanks through the exhaust tube (Not me). If you only have 2 tubes from your tank you shall always fill through the feed tube NOT the exhaust tube. And if you do fill through the feed tube there can be fuel in the exhaust tube and fills the muffler and then you engine but it's just to lift the model up and drain it through the muffler. Any waste fuel will come out that way and you have just primed your engine so turn on the glowplug and start it with one flip (Mine does that anyway). The extra fuel that didn't come out in the first time comes out now and smutters all over your model.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:38 PM
jettstarblue

djay,
I think most of us understand what you are saying.
Dragonheart, has the problem ceased?

Jetts
Old 07-28-2003, 08:42 PM
djay

Jacs is right about the extra fuel coming out and smuttering all over, usually all over the person(s) standing behind the model who then start moaning about everything.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:48 PM
DragonHeart

Thx all for your imput, i'll give what djay says a go tommorow about once ive filled the tank, turn the model on its side and turn the engine by hand first to drain any fuel out of the exhaust, then use the electric starter, as i dont really want to take the tube of the exhaust every time i fill the plane.

My fuel tank has 3 lines, one to the carb, one to the exhaust and one filler, normally i just fill up with the filler line, then the problem happens, i think it makes more sense to leave all the lines connected and turn it on its side to drain anything out before i start

Thx once again for all ur imput
Old 07-29-2003, 01:35 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Everyone I know fills through either a third line or the carb line, AND pulls the vent line off so they know when the tank's full. That way there's no danger of trying to start a hydro locked engine (potentially destroying it), AND you don't have to pick the plane up and drain fuel from the engine/muffler every time you fill.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:00 PM
djay

unfortunatly if your model is fully cowled it is not easy to do that, I usually add a remote filler point but all the pipes remain connected, if the model is uncowled you can fill through the carb line but you tend to get pin holes in the pipe eventually, the 3rd line is the best way, but it is whatever works well for you that counts.