Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Saito muffler connection reliability

Old 08-28-2010, 10:56 PM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Saito muffler connection reliability

Hi All, well I am relatively new to the hobby, may have progressed faster then my experience. I have gravitated to the Saito 4 stroke glow engines, I think they are great and they provide great realism and joy in this hobby.I have a Saito 56, 100 and two 150s My 100 has been giving me fits with the muffler coming loose all the time. It has gotten to the point that the threads in the cylinder are all wallowed out and I need to get a new cylinder. Is there a way to keep the muffler well secured to the cylinder? I have not had any problems with the 150s, mostly because I am using the stock muffler. The 100 I used a Slimline Pitts. The Pitts came loose a few times and I was never able to get it to stay. I used high temp silicone gasket sealer, red lock tight, and anything ells that was recommended. So my question is, how do you insure that the muffler does not come loose from the engine.
Thanks
TB

Old 08-29-2010, 08:14 AM
jay2000dakota

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Saito muffler connection reliability

are your props balanced?, I use red high temp gasket sealer by permitex and never had a problem. I guess you could try j.b weld but I dont know how good it hold on worn threads.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:20 AM
alfredbmor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The plumbing white teflon rolls of tape are great for worn out threads, use the amount that will help you to keep the muffler tight.

I also use (not combined) the Gasket sealer red, but I ussualy do when my engines are new.

I have around 8 Saitos, and no one have had that problem, I understand that your problem comes because of the use of a slimline pitts muffler, then if I were you, I would try the tefflon tape before buying the cylinder. If you already have the new cylinder then I would use the red gasket sealer.

Best regards.

Alfred.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:56 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When I Google Slimline 4-stroke mufflers they show several ones for different engines & they all have a short steel adapter with a bolt plate that screws into the engine & it has a "O" ring & the muffler slips over that & is held on with one or two bolts . It also comes with a bracket that bolts to the muffler & engine for support. Looks to me if yours is like that & installed properly it should not have come loose . Give it a look . Max H.