Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Swap Meet Tri Pacer Sterling 135 Find

Old 08-29-2010, 12:23 PM
tamiya84

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Swap Meet Tri Pacer Sterling 135 Find

I found this at the local Flea market today, What do you guys think its worth, the seller told me it was his uncles plane that his uncle built in 1960. Its a neat peice needs a restoration but it looks like its all there and nothing looks broken (rear wing became unglued)

The motor in the plane says FOX 35

Old 08-29-2010, 04:31 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Swap Meet Tri Pacer Sterling 135 Find

Its definately the Sterling kit of the Tri Pacer and you can tell by the grossly oversized horizontal stabilizer that was an earmark of that design (roughly 50% oversized from scale).

The Engine is a Fox .35 combat special. It is not an RC engine and would be inappropriate in that application in contemperary times.

The engine would have some value to the controlline folks but it is not a gold mine.

The airplane itself is virtually worthless and would need to find that certain person with a lot of love to give it a restoration.

John
Old 08-29-2010, 07:05 PM
tamiya84

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks John, I paid $100 bucks for it, I dont care because I LOVE the way the plane looks, Its a great show peice, I just wanted to make sure it wasnt rare before I went a head and started fixing it up, Its a neat plane but I dont think ill have the guts to fly this one
Old 08-29-2010, 08:02 PM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thats fine and you apparently are that one person. Nothing wrong with that and I certainly have been there.

If you were to measure the full size airplane you find that the fuselage around the cabin is much fatter than scale. The reason for this is The Receivers of the time (this design dates to the middle fifties actually when the Tri Pacers were only a couple of years old) Were huge and had glass tubes. They were mounted completely suspended by multiple rubber bands and the room was needed. If I remember correctly the original plans showed this type of Rx installation.

A Few years ago I helped a fellow get one flight ready he had built from a kit. When I first looked at it I suggested he take over to our local airport compare to several that were tied down there. Well when He seen them together he could not stop laughing. That is when he noticed that hugh parachute of a horizontal stabilizer. Next time I seen it he had built a whole new stab and elevator much smaller. I did the intial test flight and it flew pretty nicely although I can,t remember the engine but most certainly a contemperary forty of some sort.

Cleaner all up and she'll be a wonderful attention getter

If you want to check on the sale boards for the engine its a Fox Combat Special with the square venturi and replacable inserts. You may recover a fair amount of your investment with that.

Enjoy[8D]

John
Old 08-29-2010, 08:18 PM
tamiya84

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks For all the help John, Its going to be a long term project, I have removed the Fox 35 and there is some sort of custom made tank in the plane which i dont have a use for, I was staring at the plane at the flea market and walked away the first time when the guy said he wanted 100 for it, but i just could not get over the vintage 60's look of this plane, I noticed it was from the sterling Series, Which is awsome because I have a few Chris Craft Sterling Models, But Even the paint on the plane was screaming 60's and I was loving it. Looking in the plane I knew there was tons of room to mod it with todays electronics - tank- servo etc. I would have never guessed the reason the plane was so wide was because of its receiver, I wish the plane still had the original reciever it would have been nice to put on the shelf, I just wanted to make sure bringing this thing up todays standards wouldnt be reuining history lol
Old 08-29-2010, 09:34 PM
ARUP

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have one of those NIB. If you need copies of any parts/ plans just let me know. I can scan and send. Those old Fox 35's where great motors once broken in. The funny thing is that when broken in they are screamers and it won't be long before they throw the rod through the case! A bunch of us did some Foxberg racing and other 'stuff' with them.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:10 PM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tamiya84

Even the paint on the plane was screaming 60's and I was loving it. I wish the plane still had the original reciever it would have been nice to put on the shelf, I just wanted to make sure bringing this thing up todays standards wouldnt be reuining history lol

That "screamin sixties paint job" is actually more like a 'Our Miss Brooks' fifties paint job. That fuselage paint design is actually fairly close to original Piper factory designs that many PA-22's were delivered with. It was likely copied by the original builder from the Box art.

By the way you are not ruinning history you are honoring it and man that is great.

Here is a contemperary Babcock Magic Carpet system from about 55 to 60 that may have actually been the system shown installed in the plans, Perhaps Arup can have a look see. It is my first radio from about 57. The Rx portion was suspended in the four corners with rubber bands.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17973.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	1492361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99378.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1492362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51771.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	1492363   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oq21380.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	1492364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zl60393.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	1492365  
Old 08-30-2010, 12:58 AM
ThomasD59

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

nice buy at $100.  Sweet piece of history, thanks for sharing.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:11 PM
ARUP

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: tamiya84

Even the paint on the plane was screaming 60's and I was loving it. I wish the plane still had the original reciever it would have been nice to put on the shelf, I just wanted to make sure bringing this thing up todays standards wouldnt be reuining history lol

That ''screamin sixties paint job'' is actually more like a 'Our Miss Brooks' fifties paint job. That fuselage paint design is actually fairly close to original Piper factory designs that many PA-22's were delivered with. It was likely copied by the original builder from the Box art.

By the way you are not ruinning history you are honoring it and man that is great.

Here is a contemperary Babcock Magic Carpet system from about 55 to 60 that may have actually been the system shown installed in the plans, Perhaps Arup can have a look see. It is my first radio from about 57. The Rx portion was suspended in the four corners with rubber bands.

John
I'll take a looksee tonite!
Old 08-31-2010, 05:43 PM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cool will be very interesting to see what system they showed in the plans[8D]
Old 08-31-2010, 07:21 PM
ARUP

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The kit mentions the E.D. Boomering radio set by name. It resembles the escapement set you show. The instructions tell you to follow 'the manufacturers recommendations' for radio installation but does have some wordage and illustration 'how to do's'. This kit has a stamped metal nosebowl! I forgot all about that!

To Tamiya84- see if the previous owner has the nosebowl laying about. You would want that for any restoration!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:44 PM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That system is unfamiliar to me.

Say I have been meaning to ask have you modeled an ARUP?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:51 PM
JB-Heli

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

GREAT !!

That was the exact first plane I remember as my dad built one from the Sterling kit and installed a Fox .15 and used a Controlaire Galloping Ghost radio.  I don't think he ever got it to fly but we eventually installed the old Ghost in a Sterling Mambo and had a measure of fun with it until we built another and installed a Kraft 4 channel.  Brings back many memories and I always have an eye out for this kit (as well as the Mambo). 

Congrats to you and enjoy the rebuild, that is a real piece of R/C history you have there!
Old 09-02-2010, 02:34 PM
ARUP

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

That system is unfamiliar to me.

Say I have been meaning to ask have you modeled an ARUP?
Sure did! It flew okay one time! C.G. not proper. There is a pic of it in my gallery. I will build another.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:01 PM
JohnBuckner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Indeed what a lovelly ship it was and a nifty collection of your other projects.

The reason I asked is sometime in the late eightys or possibly early ninetys I was in my full scale hanger at Whiteman Airport, in the San Fernando Valley near Los Angeles and a gentleman approached and asked to photograft my airplane (a Sportavia Fournier RF-4D) for a scale project and of course I did. The one thing about him I remember is he talked of building an ARUP scale model among some others so naturally this peaked my interest when I first saw your user name. All of aviation tends to be a small world and just wondering if this could have been you?

John