Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

SUPER TIGER

Old 09-01-2010, 07:08 PM
cpt nj

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SUPER TIGER

Does anyone happen to know the low end setting screw position on a ST .45, the manuel has nothing. Thanks NJ
Old 09-01-2010, 07:23 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SUPER TIGER

I don't know for this engine, but here's a technique I have used with success. Put some fuel line on the carb inlet and close the throttle to the point where it is just barely cracked open. Now blow into the fuel line. If no air passes thru at all, then the low speed is obviously too much closed. If the air rushes thru the carb it is probably too far open. I like to close it down to the point that no air passes. Then open it back up until you can just barely hear the air hissing thru the low speed jet. This will usually be close.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:29 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Take the carb out of the crankcase

open the throttle fully and look up inside the carb from the engine side.

The low speed needle should be half way across the notch or slit (depending on Italian or Chinese) for the intial factory setting.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:44 PM
cpt nj

Sounds good I'll try it tomorrow morning ,it's gettin late and thanks for your help. i'll post when I get it to run. NJ
Old 09-02-2010, 12:58 PM
cpt nj

Great advise for the starting point on the low end......... once I removed the obstruction in the brass tube that houses the high end needle. I sold this almost new engine to a friend at the field and recently bought it back a little worse for ware, seems he lacked the finess of carburator removal and replacement cause it looks to me that he took a HAMMER to it to get it back in. You can tell by the flang he created. I call that GORILLA MECHANICS. Well she's up and running now.Once again I apperciate the help NJ.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:07 PM
w8ye

Glad it worked considering the damage
Old 09-02-2010, 03:10 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: cpt nj
seems he lacked the finess of carburator removal and replacement cause it looks to me that he took a HAMMER to it to get it back in. You can tell by the flang he created..
Is there a better way to do it???
Old 09-02-2010, 06:50 PM
w8ye

Don't forget the plier marks on the prop drive washer and the marks where the crankcase was clamped in a vise to run it.

A guy gave me one to fix that had plier marks on the cylinder head where he had tried to twist it off after removing the screws
Old 09-02-2010, 08:33 PM
cpt nj

Yeah man I guess you see just about everything if you hang around this hobby long enough. Ha hammer !
Old 09-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here are the instructions we tell everyone to use. They're also posted in the SuperTigre Direct support Forum, here on RCU and they're on the SuperTigre FAQ page:

http://www.supertigre.com/faq/product-faq.html#q22

To properly set up your carburetor, there are a few steps...

Make sure the spraybar is set so that the fuel slot is pointed straight down the center of the carburetor. You will have to look through the carb from the bottom, with the venturi opened to full. Loosen the two screws next to the high-speed needle valve to rotate the spraybar so that the slot is centered.

The idle needle can be seen in the slot of the spraybar. It looks like a piece of wire that has the end squarely cutoff. It should be less than one-half way across the slot when the venturi is opened to full.

The high-speed needle should be opened about 2-1/2 to 3 turns out from closed.

All of these settings are very rich. You'll have to start the engine at about 1/4 to1/3 throttle. Once the engine starts, advance the throttle to full. You can then lean the high-speed needle until the engine is running just rich of peak RPM.

Once you have the high-speed needle set, you can retard the throttle a bit and use the idle needle to adjust the engine. Retard a bit, and adjust. Keep doing this until you have reached the desired idle RPM and mixture. Remember, since we started out with an intentionally-rich setting, the idle mixture will have to be leaned.

Finally, the midrange can be adjusted by rotating the spraybar a hair. Just loosen the two screws next to the high-speed needle and rotate the spraybar just a tiny bit. Either direction is OK. This will help you get a good transition and midrange.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:05 AM
ARUP

Great instructions. Tip: just envision the 2 needles with a separation distance between them. When you turn one in the other has to be turned out. This will help maitain low setting while adjusting the high one.