Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

A wiring question

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

A wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 06:23 AM
lablover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A wiring question

I'm working on a plane that is using a castle creations ICE 75 ESC The wires on it are 10Ga I have to run some wire a good distance (b-25) to the batteries. The batteries use 12 ga wire. I can't get the 10 ga wire to fit in the connector I use (xt60) the wire is too thick to solder in the hole.

Suggestions? I was thinking of thinning down the 10 ga wire at the solder point so it fits the connector? Bad Idea????

I have to extend the esc wire at least 10 inches to get to the batts Should I use 10 ga or 12 ga? Again, wires on esc now are 10 ga

I don't think making motor wires longer is an option due to esc location for cooling
Old 09-07-2010, 06:37 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: A wiring question

Can't you just put a Deans connector on each side and plug them in?
Old 09-07-2010, 06:56 AM
lablover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could use deans...I just don't like them..But hey, I may have to compromise
Old 09-07-2010, 12:50 PM
FallDownGoBoom
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you've got an XT60 connector on the battery?

I'm facing a similar situation on an OV1 Mohawk I'm building: twin electrics, ESC's in the nacelles, battery in the fuselage, and some kind of extension needed to get through 1/2" tubes in the wing. What I'm going to do is solder 3.5mm male bullet connectors to the ESC battery leads, and 3.5mm female bullet connectors to what I'll call the "ESC" end of the extention wires. These will have heat shrink tubing around them to ensure they hold together and insulate them, but if I need to, I can go in an separate them. At the battery end, you could either solder another set of appropriate bullet connectors and plug them directly into the battery's XT60 (less desirable as you might inadvertantly short the battery when pulling out the extension wires), or you could solder an XT60 plug to that end of the extension wires. The bullet connectors should handle the 10 ga wire on the ESC end; the guage of the extension wire would probably depend on how many amps you'll be pulling through the circuit. If you have to go out and buy extension wire, then I'd get the 10 ga just to be safe. If you've got some 12 ga in hand, and are going the XT60 route, then you'll probably be OK.

Are you going to power the Mitchell with one battery or two? I'm going to be running off a single battery, so I've got to build a "parallel" splitter adaptor for the battery end of the connection.