Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Radio / servo adjustments?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Radio / servo adjustments?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:06 PM
justinCO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio / servo adjustments?

I am looking for tips on how to properly adjust my servo throw with the control surfaces and throttle. I have a couple issues.

With my throttle servo, the carburetor will go from fully closed to fully open before my transmitter throttle stick travels from full off to full on (stick down to stick up). The carb' is at full open when my throttle stick is about 65% throttle.

With my control surfaces, when the stick is at full throw I can hear the servos straining like they want to go further.

Is this just a matter of adjusting the clevice on the control horn for each control surface and throttle?

I have all the control surfaces aligned even with the transmitter trim set to 0, so that is good. Just want to fine tune the rest of the system.

Thx,
Justin
Old 06-14-2011, 06:27 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default RE: Radio / servo adjustments?

Justin, it is obvious that you have too much travel. Not knowing what radio you have it is not possible for me to tell you how to reduce travel via the radio or if your radio even has that capability. If it does it is usually called ATV. It is however better to do it mechanically. The easiest way to get this done is simply moving your control linkages in on the servo arm towards the center of the servo.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:31 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

On your throttle, you want to place a shorter arm on the servo, the idea is to be able to use all the travel volume on your stick with the ATVs set at default of 100% before you start playing with the ATVs. This applies if you have, or do not a computer radio, proper setup first! On your control surfaces, if you have a computer radio, you can just turn down the ATVs and get rid of the buzz, if you do not have a computer radio, move your clevis on the control horns further away from the surfaces, or move your clevis closer to the center of the servo, or both if you must. By doing this, it will reduce your throw and render better mechanical advantage at the same time...

Bob
Old 06-15-2011, 04:39 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

What radio do you have?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:33 AM
justinCO

Sorry for the late reply, I have a Futaba 6EX radio.

I will make some mechanical adjustments with the servos/control horns tonight to see how close I can get it. Then, read up on ATV for the radio (I assume it has it).

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:41 PM
justinCO

For future reference, the setting for this Futaba radio is called End Point Adjustment (EPA). That allowed me (along with mechanical adjustments) to get my throws setup right. Thx for the help!
Old 06-17-2011, 02:19 PM
The Ghost

Always set up mechanical throws first, then fine tune with EPA

Cheers
Old 06-17-2011, 02:23 PM
justinCO

ORIGINAL: The Ghost

Always set up mechanical throws first, then fine tune with EPA

Cheers
Yep, I was able to get the throttle almost perfect without having to mess with EPA. I decreased the EPA a little bit for the control surfaces where the servo was buzzing at full throw.

Thanks.