Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

GP Patriot 40

Old 09-11-2010, 01:45 AM
Wingspam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default GP Patriot 40

I have just finished out fitting my GP Patriot 40 size, its powered with an Os 55Ax w/a 10x8 prop. Its ready to go for maiden tomorrow, or so I hope. My question is on the CG, the instructiions recommend starting at 8 1/2 back from the leading edge my battery had to be positioned in the tail right at the servo tray, and I still need to add about 4 oz more on the tail. The battery is a 5 cell 2000 mah, if any one has any suggestions on the CG let me know.

Thanks
Old 09-11-2010, 06:49 AM
summerwind

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GP Patriot 40

probably too late now, but i have mine powered by a Jett 50. i used 2 5 cell 600mah packs and 2 switches for a redundancy system. NO, probably not needed, but i take all precautions i can with fast airplanes. anyways, this allowed me to mount one of the 3 oz batteries right inside the tail cone and gave me the option to mt the 2nd battery wherever it was needed which ended up being an inch behind former F3 which worked out well as i can move it back a couple inches to change the CG later.

i would highly recommend getting the CG on the 8.5" mark though. the airplane comes in for landing like any other pattern plane i have flown, but when it hits stall speed, it's stalling, and recovery takes a bit of altitude to gain control. hey it's a Delta wing right?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50147.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	1498684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56723.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	1498685   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot46685.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1498686   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh13371.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1498687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sd43707.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	1498688  
Old 09-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Charlie P.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wow! I've never added 4 oz to anything I've flown (of .40 to .60 size)! That's a lot to haul on an already hot model (as in high wing loading). I added just 1 oz to the very tail of a 15-1/2 pound model to get it where I wanted it. Also, on a .55 engine I'd be thinking a 12 x 8 prop, not a 10".
Old 09-11-2010, 09:37 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How many prop jets have you built Charlie?
They really struggle to get the CG back due to the heavy ol power plant hanging off the nose and still look right. All the ones I have done needed help in the tail end. Heck, I even cast a lead tailcone for the Combat Models F-16 in addition to all the other tricks to move weight back.

Great lookin Pat S.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:55 AM
summerwind

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

Wow! I've never added 4 oz to anything I've flown (of .40 to .60 size)! That's a lot to haul on an already hot model (as in high wing loading). I added just 1 oz to the very tail of a 15-1/2 pound model to get it where I wanted it. Also, on a .55 engine I'd be thinking a 12 x 8 prop, not a 10''.
WOW....everytime i read one of your replies, you still amaze me in that you add nothing to the content other than to make the OP feel worse..............why not reply to something you've owned that is just close to what we are discussing here?

i had to put a 3 oz battery in my tail cone on my Pat and i even moved the engine back 3/4", so we must be on par.

i personally wouldn't add 1 oz to get a CG right on a 15lb model either as there is more than enough room to move components around to achieve that.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:57 PM
cutaway

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A wood prop can save between a half an ounce and an ounce on the front versus something heavy like an APC. A light foam versus rubber nose wheel will save a lot too (but become a more constant maintenance item due to accelerated wear).
Old 09-11-2010, 02:25 PM
vicman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wood prop at 18K??? no thanks! [X(]
Old 09-11-2010, 03:02 PM
A6TEXAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

this is my old patriot. (i sold it a short while back) same setup as you describe. i finally settled on a 10 x 7 prop with the 55. the c.g. was dead on 8 1/2 inches. i only used 1 4.8 rx battery. my reciever was located as far back as possible. the retracts may have made the difference. also as stated above i used foam tires. as summerwind says dont slow on landing, keep speed and fly it all the way to the ground, there will be no suprises if you keep your speed up .also be sure to have plenty speed before rotating for takeoff. good luck on maiden.
as i was posting pics figured i would add a couple of my other propjet. has OS 61sf. this one is a bit more of a handfull than the patriot.
if you want to see something really insane, do a search on youtube for the twin patriot with rocket assist. you talk about fast !!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	qo40619.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	3.37 MB
ID:	1498858   Click image for larger version

Name:	zx72246.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	3.50 MB
ID:	1498859   Click image for larger version

Name:	yw68251.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	765.1 KB
ID:	1498860   Click image for larger version

Name:	hf98183.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	826.6 KB
ID:	1498861  
Old 09-11-2010, 03:16 PM
summerwind

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey A6,

i see you got some tip drag too

i think i got my tips on the second landing............where did you get the tip skids?
Old 09-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Wingspam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Took the Patriot out to the field today, I ran a 2 tanks of fuel thru the motor before the maiden flight and it ran strong. I taxied up and down the field a couple of times and lined her up for the maiden flight, it tracked pretty well as it headed down the grass runway. It didnt really want to lift off so I just helped it along with a little extra elevator, as the plane took to the sky I saw something fall from the plane. Someone yelled I got it, as I was trying to trim out the down wind leg. A minute or so later he brought me my right landing gear that broke off smooth as glass about an inch out from the plane. Not sure what brand of retracts these are but they are just some type of cast material, there was no bend around the break just a smooth almost machine cut break. I got this plane from a friend and its been sitting in his garage since 2006 and was never flown.

So as I was flying around trying to figure out how I ws going to land this thing with only 2 wheels, I decided to make the most of it and flew it hard and fast after about 6 mins I decided I had better land and decided to do a wheels down landing. I lined it up cut back on the throttle and was suprised how fast it sank toward the ground, with just a quick burst of throttle it leveled out and plopped down to earth. There was no damage to the plane, but the pilot was in a little worse shape. Heart racing and hands shaking I packed it up and got ready for the night fly that was just a few hours away.

So now I need to replace the retracts, what brand should I go with? I am thinking of just staying with mechanical retracts.

Thanks
Old 09-12-2010, 02:13 AM
SpeedBoy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wingspam ,

I have been using Dave Brown mechanical retracts for more than 8 years now , with no problem so far , that brand are my first choice when looking mechanical retracts.

Regards.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:07 PM
vicman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Good job getting it down in one pc.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Wingspam

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Took the Patriot for another spin this past weekend, the new retracts held up. The grass was grown up enough to provide a very challenging takeoff with the stock wheels, they are very small.
I now have the CG at 8 1/2 and it fly's better, it still seems a tad heavy in the nose, especially when I drop the gear, but what can you do when they just hang in the wind. As far as the front gear goes should this plane be level tip to tail or should it have a slightly positive angle in the nose?

Thanks
Old 09-24-2010, 11:51 PM
littledevile420
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

speedboy what mods are doene to your rossi and what pipe is that look great
Old 09-25-2010, 10:15 AM
jaka

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi!
18000rpm using a wood prop! Why not?! 18000rpm isn't that much!
Old 09-25-2010, 12:22 PM
A6TEXAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

summerwind, the tips are a great planes item. should be able to find at you lhs.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Farshid

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Wingspam

I have just finished out fitting my GP Patriot 40 size, its powered with an Os 55Ax w/a 10x8 prop. Its ready to go for maiden tomorrow, or so I hope. My question is on the CG, the instructiions recommend starting at 8 1/2 back from the leading edge my battery had to be positioned in the tail right at the servo tray, and I still need to add about 4 oz more on the tail. The battery is a 5 cell 2000 mah, if any one has any suggestions on the CG let me know.

Thanks
I have a patriot 40 & it is flying since 2005. I remember I had problem with CG adjustment. At end I modify battery & re arrange them to diamond configuration & fit it right in to the tail cone at the back. It is 1300mAh 4.8 4cell. In addition to that I add some lead to back get CG right. I did some other modification as well. It makes easily serviceable. Recently I change engine to OS 55Ax & add another servo to aileron to use them as flaporan with help of my mixing radio. I could not get a chance to test fly it so far. Patriot is one of my favorite plane.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:49 PM
SpeedBoy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: littledevile420

speedboy what mods are doene to your rossi and what pipe is that look great
littledevile , sorry by not have answered your question , I didnt see it until today.

The engine is totally stock no mods on there , the pipe is the muffled pipe 7.5 cc by macs products.

Regards.