RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Im depressed! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/10833409-im-depressed.html)

SCOTT42 11-28-2011 04:07 PM

Im depressed!

Ok well its really not that bad but I think I might want to cry! I have found a saito FA 100 twin cylender engine thats like brand new for 200.cash and my wife wont let me buy it! Dont get me wrong shes a great girl for understanding my hobbie needs and wants but its too close to cristmas and WE need to focuse on that instead. Why do all the great deals apear when you cant have them? Im thinking about doing it anyways and dealing with her afterwards, but not sure if i want to push it?

MinnFlyer 11-28-2011 04:08 PM

RE: Im depressed!

Don't push it. It's not a very powerful engine

TFF 11-28-2011 04:56 PM

There is always another engine.

Oberst 11-28-2011 05:10 PM

One thing that needs to be understood is if you're married like I am, I have to always had to pay my bills first, before spending anything on my hobby. It's called responsibility. When I got into this hobby my wife said she would support me in what I do just as long I gave her what she needed to keep on top of things. She told me as soon as I start spending my money on my hobby before the family needs were met, then she would not endorse my hobby.

It makes sense if you think about it. I always tell my wife what I would like, and if I have the money she has always told me it's OK to order it, just because I made sure the chunk of my bills were payed first ahead of time.

If you don't believe me, just go and ask some of your friends wives that are in this hobby, they will tell you the same thing. The only time I have ever seen a girlfriend or wife not happy that their significant other in this hobby is when they put the hobby before anyone else.

Thought I'd share my experience.

Pete

biam 11-28-2011 05:45 PM

first thing that comes to mind is, dont you have a stash that she dont know about? Second is, " It's always better to seek forgiveness than ask permission"!:D

SCOTT42 11-28-2011 05:50 PM

Oh by all means my bills are meet first, allways have and allways will be. Its just ironic how little things happen, its more of the "WHY ME" lol, shes great and I couldnt ask for more out of her. Like the saying goes, if momma aint happy then nobody is happy! and thats the truth at my house!

Gray Beard 11-28-2011 06:24 PM

ORIGINAL: biam

first thing that comes to mind is, don't you have a stash that she dont know about? Second is, '' It's always better to seek forgiveness than ask permission''!:D
Biam is quoting the Man Law. It's called the secret stash. The only problem I have seen is when a friends wife discovered his. She asked if he had any money on hand for something. Why no dear, I don't. Once he said that he didn't!!:) True story and he couldn't say a thing about it.
When I was shooting I got a deal on a new shot gun. My wife knew I spent my secret stash on her. I had the gun leaning on my leg when she came home. Look Honey, it followed me home and it's so sweet, it leans on my leg and wags it's tail. I still have that gun and the wife.;)
As mike mentioned, it isn't a real power house, has a few quirks but that engine does have a cool factor and just begs to be installed in a nice Cub.;)
Maybe it could just follow you home??:D

SCOTT42 11-28-2011 06:57 PM

Your right grey beard, Ive got a Carl Goldburg cliped wing cub thats got a saito 91 in it now and I was day dreaming allday today with that engine in that plane. But being what it is I told the guy that I would have to pass on the deal, maby some other time???

Gray Beard 11-28-2011 07:28 PM

ORIGINAL: SCOTT42

Your right grey beard, Ive got a Carl Goldburg cliped wing cub thats got a saito 91 in it now and I was day dreaming allday today with that engine in that plane. But being what it is I told the guy that I would have to pass on the deal, maby some other time???
It's not an engine that people are beating a path to the guys door for. I'm sure it will be there when you get the bucks. I stash away 10 or 20 bucks every time we go to the bank. It adds up pretty fast. Just do what I did after my friend got the burn from his wife. I always stash it under something heavy and flat. Women don't do a lot of lifting just for the fun of it.;)

nh4clo4 11-28-2011 07:39 PM

GB is right the secret stash is the way to go. The other option is the 48 hour rule (local talk show Joe Soucheray). Once it has been in the house for 48 hours you just say "that old thing, I've had it for months". It usually works when you have a few items the same, guitars, motorcycles, engines. But like the others said, stash 5-15 dollars every payday, and keep it in a hidden place. So when you buy something, there's no paper trail.

MetallicaJunkie 11-28-2011 08:10 PM

ARUP 11-28-2011 08:18 PM

How about posting the contact info for the engine? :D

Desertlakesflying 11-28-2011 08:47 PM

Yet another reason to stay single......And Minn is right. My buddy cublover had one and it wasn't that great. granted it was cool and all but not great.

ScottMcM 11-29-2011 03:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:D

Cougar-RCU 11-29-2011 07:54 AM

Oh SHAME ON YOU !! *LOL* :D looks great , I love all my cubs.!

SCOTT42 11-29-2011 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: ScottMcM

:D
OUCH! Man thats like rubbing salt in a fresh wound! But heres the one she would have gone in.

Edwin 11-29-2011 10:48 AM

Grey Beard and I are on the same page. I give myself an allowance every week and a little of that goes into my hobby fund envelope. Keeps the impulse buying to a limit.
Edwin

RCFlyerDan 11-29-2011 11:07 AM

Well, doesn't Santa deserve a gift too? Otherwise, Christmas has become truly a commercialized business and everyone has forgot the true meaning, even though I am not religious. Used to be fun, now it is who gave the most in gifts or spent the most........ususally going in debt too.

SCOTT42 11-29-2011 11:13 AM

I agree RC, I tried saying" If I get this it can be my gift from you this year for cristmas" needles to say it didnt work! I do keep a stash put back, I just recently got into it and those funds are now low again.

RCFlyerDan 11-29-2011 11:27 AM

Well, give your best RC buddy some ideas on what your "hobby wish list", and either have her call him or the other way around. This way, she gets to buy it, wrap it, goes under the tree, and you get something towards the hobby, rather then ties and socks and underwear.......lol.

Teachu2 11-29-2011 12:25 PM

Many years ago the wife and I sat down and made up a household budget. First, we got a couple of pocket-sized notepads and wrote down EVERYTHING we bought for a month - amazing what Starbuck's costs over a month...

We used the budget to decide what we could afford for our personal expenditures. We then opened three checking accounts - hers, mine and ours. Our paychecks go to ours, then we draw our monthly allowances. I don't care how much she spent on a pair of shoes, and she doesn't ask where the money to buy the new Saito/DLE/Craftsman motor/tool/whatever came from. Expenditures for the house come out of our general fund, and anything extraordinary we discuss before spending the money. Takes all the power struggle and bickering out of the equation. Now I don't have to race her home to see/hide what UPS left on the porch...

michaelj878 11-29-2011 12:45 PM

do it anyway,,,,, its much easier to get forgivness than permissionhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../sad_smile.gif

tkline 11-29-2011 01:00 PM

Hey now I've been trying to get up there to pick that engine up since he posted it I may have to get one of my buddies that live up there to go pick it up for me

Teachu2 11-29-2011 01:06 PM

ORIGINAL: michaelj878

do it anyway,,,,, its much easier to get forgivness than permission[img][/img]
That's good advice if you're tired of being married, or if you value the relationship with a motor more than the one with your wife....

cloudancer03 11-29-2011 01:06 PM

I see guys join the hobby and go hog wild buying everything and spending thousands and I shake my head.I buy what I can afford and have learned to enjoy what I have.you can only fly one at a time.your family and kids are the prioirty not the hobby.!!