RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Radios (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11223170-radios.html)

ARUP 09-12-2012 05:15 PM

RE: Radios

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

Hmmm ''Last Radio I will ever need''.

I can remember muttering that exact same phrase when I purchased this radio in 1970 from Brookhurst Hobbies, Anaheim Calfornia for 199.95.

Oh my how wrong I was[X(] And there have been dozens litterally in the technology parade ever since right up to my last two radio purchases which were A9's (Oh man I sure do love that sexy gal they found for the voice to yell at me every time my airplane battery or tx battery is too low).

Now due to the miracle of Hitecs 2.4 system I am able to use that old black tranny once agine and just flew it last weekend. Another nostagia kick to tell us how much better we have it these days.

Nope If you are a true enthusiast there will never ever be a final ''last Radio''.

John
Ha ha hah! Sir, you don't know me! lol So long as 2.4 continues then this will be IT!!!!!

Gray Beard 09-12-2012 05:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My first two computer radios?? Sort of, kinda sorta. The Hitec is anyway. John, were you an OC kid?? I grew up in Huntington Beach/Fountain Valley and flew U-Control and Free Flight at Mile Square. Anyway, both of these radios still work very well. I bought my 9-C when it first came out because the Hitec only could program 3 planes. I still use them once in a while when the grand kid is in town.

JohnBuckner 09-12-2012 09:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Cool GB, not to far away. Grew up on a peach/walnut farm just up from you on Highway 39 in Puente. My early flying fields were the flower fields at the right season and the school yards which were always open. Later my first formal flying field was Whittier Narrows. Cool place but the boats on .27 at legg lake shot us down with great regularity.

GB I now have just converted one of my old Prism 7X's like yours from an RC radio to a Controlline radio. With the Hitec 2.4 module its like magic, I no longer have to use the old technologie electronic over the wire pistol grip throttle system which was very cumbersome to set up. I attached a neck strap to the sides of the case instead of in the front and another to go around my back so the radio is supported on my chest with the sticks facing away from me and toward the airplane. Much better than the pistol grip and much quicker to set up with no performance robbing special flying lines required. This set up is for throttle and a release stooge.

Sorry if I offended ARUP but heck here are some pics of yet another radio system in the interim that I also said "last radio I will ever need" Yup I was wrong yet agine. It was a pre processor controlled radio that had most of the bells and whistles of a modern computer type such as end points and even Expo and a host of mixes also PCM only. Only it was all controlled by 48 yes 48 pots and dip switchs under the front panel. But and this was the killer butt. There was no multiple airplane storage, Strickly a 'one airplane/one transmitter system[8D]

I was at a float fly about ten years ago and fellow walked up and tryed to buy from at more than I paid for it, he said man I sold mine and really wanted another bad. I kept it.

John

Hill202 09-13-2012 12:44 AM

Looks like Futaba is winning. I fly with a Futaba 12z.

Gray Beard 09-13-2012 07:47 AM

I'm very surprised there are so many guys here flying with Futaba. Where I fly there are about 30 or 40 different pilots out there in a week and there are only a couple of us using Futaba. JR and Spektrum are number one. JR pushed to get there 2.4 systems out on the market a couple years before Futaba and Hitec, most the guys jumped on the train, pretty much everyone of them has lost at least one plane to the rushed system with there mystery crashes and brown out problems but if you speak with them today about it they are still loyal to them. Last week I got to fiddle with a couple of the new JR 18s that a few of my wealthy friends bought. Truth be told these radios are about 800 bucks so not so out of line when compared to other high end radios. I was impressed with some of the features and under whelmed with others. I got the feeling it was more of a good 9 channel with a lot of programming improvements. It's really a great radio for scale pilots and multi engine pilots. 3-D pilots with a lot of servos will also find it useful.
For most sport pilots it is just over kill though. I'm at a point in time when I'm building smaller planes with less sophistication so my old Futaba 9-C still works for me. I'm building a plane as a gift for an old friend with a like new 9-C and he has bought a couple of the JR radios. I have hopes that maybe he will see his way into handing over the old Futaba to me. Mine has been in the shop a couple of times in the last few years. I don't need better but one less used then mine would be nice!!:D
John, were you from one of the original farming families?? Or like me and moved there when they started building homes in the area??

Chucksolo69 09-13-2012 08:56 AM

I just got the new Tactic AnyLink adapter for my Spektrum DX6i. I have bought 3 Flyzone RX-R planes and they each came with a free $30.00 Tactic 6 channel RX. I bought the AnyLink for $25 so that those RXs will not go to waste. I tried one of them in a new Flyzone Focke-Wulf FW 190 Select Scale last nite and it worked great with the AnyLink installed on my DX6i. The range is supposed to be 1000 feet so it should be just fine. I'll find out this weekend.;)

ARUP 09-14-2012 05:17 PM

No worries, John! That's why I put the 'ha ha ha' and the 'lol' in my post. I am very reluctant to change thus my comments/ opinion! I used to race bicycles and like, Sean Kelly, was one of the last to change to clipless pedals! My peers used to laugh and make fun of me. Most of 'em weren't laughing after I put the hurt on 'em come race time! This is all fun and great braggin' rights! Cheers!
P.S.- I still think the Graupner is the best lookin' radio out there!

acdii 09-14-2012 06:03 PM

<font size="+1">Futaba "Attack" 4NBL 4-channel AM system</font>

ira d 09-14-2012 09:49 PM

Airtronics SD10G, Futaba 9C, Hitec Optic6.

WILDCRASHWILLY 09-15-2012 07:52 AM

Running A9 with Optima 9 rx's in all my planes except two. In those I have optima 7 rx's.

Gray Beard 09-15-2012 07:55 AM

ORIGINAL: ira d

Airtronics SD10G, Futaba 9C, Hitec Optic6.
After I was finished with my quest for a new radio and decided to just fix my 9-C I read a review of the Airtronics new 10. I'm not a big fan of Airtronics at all but I was very impressed with that radio and put it on my list of maybes. How does it compare to the 9-C in mixing and ease of use? I know no one that has it but I'm still interested in it. So far the Hitec A-9 is still on the top of my list. Just wondering.

Twin_Flyer 09-15-2012 09:26 AM

What needed fixing on your 9C?

Bill S.

pjb2005 10-04-2012 10:53 AM

I travel a lot. Has any one taken a transmitter and put it in a smaller case and recessed the switches and sticks. Any ideas how would one take the components out of dx7 and put into a small box that could travel in a brief case?

tlandon 10-04-2012 11:45 AM

Turnigy 9X. $60 delivered w/receiver. Works excellent. 60 bucks vs several hundred? You do the math. and I dont care about warranties either. If the radio has a problem, I just buy a new one and still pay less.

maukaonyx 10-04-2012 01:37 PM

Two Futaba 7C's and an Airtronics SD-10G.

k3 valley flyer 10-05-2012 08:13 AM

Two Hitec Auroa 9 and a Spectrum DX8. Like them both very much. My son, age 40, is into the high end JR stuff, also good radios but too pricey for me. Several friends, all very good pilots, are into the Airtonics SD10 and have had good results. Used Futaba for years and liked the 9C also. Held off going to 2.4 and when Hitec came out with the Auroa 9 felt it fit my needs at a reasonable price. Some brands have more features, some have easier programming, some "feel" better, but all of them get better over time. Like John I have learned not to say I will never want another radio.

Fs one 10-11-2012 03:35 PM

Spektrum #1 go with the best and forget the rest.DX8

cfircav8r 10-11-2012 04:47 PM

DX8, DX7, Airtronics Infinity 600, Various Airtronics 4-5 channel, but I am slowly converting them to the Spektrums. I really want to convert my old Kraft 5ch to 2.4, I love the gimbals, they are the smoothest I have ever used. I have seen it done some where in a post but can't find it anywhere to see how he did it.

JohnBuckner 10-11-2012 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: cfircav8r

I really want to convert my old Kraft 5ch to 2.4, I love the gimbals, they are the smoothest I have ever used. I have seen it done some where in a post but can't find it anywhere to see how he did it.

If your old unit is AM if can be done and I did it with the help of two very smart electronic type fellows and a good scope, very successfully. I choose to convert my original 45 year old AM Orbit using the Hitec system and off course Hitec is my preferrence for all my contemperary needs.

Now here is an interesting dicotomy as a result of this conversion. There are no modern features at all and of course no servo reversing and this is all as expected and desired. But, because the inflight battery telemetry feature of the Hitec system is a function of the receiver/ module and has nothing to do with the transmitter I actually have a system with no servo reversing but I do have inflight airborn battery pack low voltage warning (telemetry) :D

John

mscic-RCU 10-12-2012 10:57 AM

Futaba 9C with a Hitec 2.4 module

opjose 10-12-2012 01:02 PM

JR's only

Current:
9503 DSMX/DSM2
11X DSMX/DSM2

Older upgraded to 2.4ghz, used on a few foamies
8503's
x347's

The 9503 is my workhorse with 50 model memories of which 30+ are in use.
The 11X I use for specific models and helis where I want some of the extra functions.

IMHO the 9503's side lever layout is MUCH better than the more expensive 11X's back slide switches...

Rubbernecker 10-12-2012 05:28 PM

Futaba 8U and Multiplex Evo 9.

John

J330 11-15-2012 07:21 PM

ORIGINAL: tlandon

Turnigy 9X. $60 delivered w/receiver. Works excellent. 60 bucks vs several hundred? You do the math. and I dont care about warranties either. If the radio has a problem, I just buy a new one and still pay less.
hmmm....and perhaps a motor, an airplane, and whatever else was shot down out of the sky, when it has a problem?

Warbird40 11-15-2012 11:46 PM

Futaba 8J....love it

evabuick 11-20-2012 12:19 AM

<h1>see it
</h1>