RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   MonoKote reds (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11223724-monokote-reds.html)

JollyPopper 09-10-2012 07:32 AM

MonoKote reds

MonoKote offers three shades of opaque red, Missile Red, True Red and Dark Red, all of which are very close in color. Which is the deepest red of the three and which is the lightest red of the three? I have several rolls of red with the little identifying discs on the ends gone and I can't tell the difference in the rolls. I think I have started covering an airplane with different colors of red and am not quite sure what to do about it.

Mk23socom 09-10-2012 09:38 AM

RE: MonoKote reds

I have some Missile Red and IF I had to put money on it, I would guess that it is the brightest of the three. My stuff seems to be rather bright compared to other reds that I have seen on other planes. I can't speak for the other two though.

JohnBuckner 09-10-2012 10:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Thirtyeight is Missle Red.

The little T-6 racer is True red.

The Q-500 is Dark Red.

All Monocoat and I have used a lot of the transparents including the Transparent Red but have never heard of an Opaque Red. I beleve any referance to opague is just to deliniate between the three solid or opaque reds and the transparent red.

Of the three opaque reds Missile Red is the lightest and brightest and the the dark red is darkest, or so I am told by my buds since my color perception had been rapidly deteriating in recent years:D

John[8D]

JohnBuckner 09-10-2012 10:54 AM

I have had much the same problem as you and getting them mixed up. Missile Red is the easist to separate and is considerably lighter with a orange hue. The other two are the most difficult and about the only way is to hold sample right next to each other.

John

JollyPopper 09-10-2012 01:18 PM

My color perception must be pretty bad also. I have unopened rolls that I can barely distinguish the difference, even side by side. I didn't realize I had different colors until I screwed the servo hatches into the wing. They are definitely a different color than the rest of the wing. I'm afraid I may end up with two different colors, maybe three, on the plane when it's finished, but at this point I have no intention of ripping the covering off and starting over. The covering job is pretty good. I'll probobly dumb thumb it soon enough and then I'll make sure of the colors when I have to replace some.

John, I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't saying I had a color called Opaque Red. I was just saying there are three shades of red that are not transparent and I may have some of all three.[:o]

JohnBuckner 09-10-2012 02:07 PM

Ya I figured that out after I posted. I have tried looking at the differance under a very direct and bright lite but yes it sure is difficult. Something else that may effect this is batch differances, Dunno?

John

daveopam 09-10-2012 02:36 PM

If you lay the three together. Dark red is the darkest, Missle red is the brightest, and true red has a orange cast compared to the Dark red.

david

dbacque 09-10-2012 04:16 PM

I've also used them all. Nearly all my planes are red/white or red/cream. Red is just very visible to me. And yes, the Missile Red is the lightest, brightest red of the lot as well as being my personal favorite. When I have a roll of Missile Red next to a roll of True Red, it can be hard to tell them apart. But put them on an airplane and the difference is striking.

Funny thing is that once I open a roll I know immediately I've got the wrong red. I've wondered if the cellophane wrap hinders matching of colors.

Dave

Fs one 10-07-2012 12:41 PM

Dark red is the deepest red for monokote colours.

red head 10-07-2012 04:19 PM

Just a quick hint here : When you get ready to use the covering ( when new ), peel the little color disc off the end of the roll and slip ( stick ) it into the end of the tube. That way you will know which one you are using, won't help match unless you logged it somewhere. By the way the disc. come off pretty easy. ENJOY !!! RED

Bozarth 10-07-2012 10:20 PM

By the way, I have found that older roles don't necessarily match the newer ones. I have encountered this numerous times and now plan accordingly (i.e. for a large plane, I use one role for the top and one for the bottom, just in case they don't match perfectly). The biggest differences I have found are with Metallic Charcoal and Metallic Blue.

Kurt

daveopam 10-08-2012 08:46 AM

Rolls from batch to batch dont always match either. So if you buy two at a time, check them.

David