RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Weight limit (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11288011-weight-limit.html)

JollyPopper 11-05-2012 05:55 PM

Weight limit

Is there an absolute upper weight limit for RC planes and, if so, by whose rules?

sensei 11-05-2012 06:29 PM

RE: Weight limit

Oh yes, the upper weight limit is when the weight exceeds the available lift and that is by the rules of gravity...;)

Bob

sensei 11-05-2012 06:37 PM

Just curious, why do you want that information?

Bob

Gray Beard 11-05-2012 06:51 PM

Yes, the AMA set the limits, been a long time and I don't really recall them. I think it was up to 50 pounds wet then you had to get them inspected for up to 100 pounds then you needed a waver? I'm sure John or someone is more up on the rules. We had an AMA inspector that would come out to our IMAA event every year and re qualify the pilots and planes in the 100 pound range. Been a while sense I have been involved in IMAA and I have forgotten the rules but they are in place. You can also look them up on the AMA site.
Gene

JollyPopper 11-05-2012 07:05 PM

Gene, to begin, we are not an AMA sanctioned field, so do they still have any authority over us? And even if they do, they have no policing power other than what we allow them to have, do they? My question really was who has policing powers over a bunch of guys who are not AMA? Anyone? What set of rules do we have to follow to avoid spending time in the lock-up? If we are doing something wrong, whose rules are we breaking?

We used to be AMA, until about four years ago, and then we weren't. It is an interesting story.

sensei 11-05-2012 07:16 PM

If it is not a sanctioned club then it is your own governing rules.

Bob

Live Wire 11-05-2012 07:26 PM

As long as you are ready to asume responsibilty and liability for you and your club have at it. The FAA would be the one you have to look out for:eek: This drone thing may come into play.

sensei 11-05-2012 07:35 PM

Oh hell, three years ago I sat on the AMA board in discussions of giant scale aircraft exceeding the 55 lb. rule and setting new rules for aircraft in the experimental category due to my heavy involvement with very large airplanes. So as I stated if you are not flying at a sanctioned club then it is your rules, your responsibility and your liability, so just use common sense.

Bob

TFF 11-05-2012 07:36 PM

The FAA has accepted the 55lbs as reasonable, 100 with inspection, by believing in the AMA rules. The problem comes in that the FAA owns all US airspace, period. It is their playground. There are generic laws in place that you are subject to. If you are on you own land and can crash only into your own stuff, who would know. If you are more public and something happens to the extreme like killing someone by accident, the FAA will make it true federal law of what they would like it to be if we dont self police. Think 2 1/2 lbs like the UAV people lobbied to FAA for a hobby model plane. The fight, that is going on, is trying to keep model airplanes out of the federal regulation code; right now we still are in grey area FAR wise. If things go wrong and we get full FAR regs like full size planes, it will kill model airplanes, but also we will be subject to the same penalties like $10,000 per infraction occurrence. Piss your neighbor off and he said he saw you do it 50 times; that would be quite a bill and probably jail. These are the same kinds of penalties that pilots, businesses, and mechanics are subject to everyday if they dont follow the law. The thing to do even if you are not an AMA member is at least keep the spirit of the rules in hand.

JollyPopper 11-05-2012 07:37 PM

We are not even a club insofar as there are no dues, no meetings, no rules. Just a bunch of guys who have a really nice place to fly and we get together a couple times a week and do just that. The only guidelines, as set down by the owner of the property where we fly, are that when a full suze aircraft sets up to come in, we have to get out of the way. The other thing is that anyone who shows up and wants to fly is allowed to until he demonstrates that he is a danger to others. Then we are allowed to ask (pretty emphatically) that he not fly any more.

So the FAA would be our governing authority? What do they say constitutes a drone? When does a radio controlled aircraft become a drone?

JollyPopper 11-05-2012 07:53 PM

TFF, that is what this is all about. We were wondering what the spirit, if not the letter, of the rules is. How big can we go without offending anyone? Or breaking any laws.

JollyPopper 11-05-2012 07:58 PM

So if we were to build a plane over 55 lbs. and under 100 and wanted to have it inspected, who would we contact to do that?

Limitless Aero 11-05-2012 09:23 PM

There is no actual weight limit if it is a non AMA field. if it is then i think inspected its up to 125 now.

Gray Beard 11-05-2012 10:17 PM

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

So if we were to build a plane over 55 lbs. and under 100 and wanted to have it inspected, who would we contact to do that?
No problem at all then. We had people over the weight limit that couldn't fly there planes at the show but would fly them at a lake bed in Calif. Here at the lake bed we have had real models of the V-I with a ram jet engine. I have one on film, OOPS and SON of OOPS, all crash video's. Of course, we have 7 sq. miles of open flat with desert all around us. It's normal to see a few Ultra Lites flying out there too. We all get along except maybe the motorcycle people that tend to like to ride across our flattened runway.
I'm sure a lawyer would be able to make it against some FAA law but we have never had any problems.

saramos 11-06-2012 02:05 AM

AMA rules only apply to AMA members and AMA Charter clubs. They only apply if you are a member, fly at an AMA field or at an AMA sanctioned event. They may be adopted by the FAA as an approved set of community based rules which when followed will be exempt from FAA regulations. This is still in progress and has not been finalized by the FAA. Even if RC models end up falling under FAA regulations, the enforcement will be reactionary, meaning that they would only come into question when some incident has been brought to the attention of the FAA. The AMA guidelines can be found at www.modelaircraft.org.

Scott

bps 11-06-2012 03:14 AM

First off I applaud those pilots trying to adhere to the spirit if the law, all good stuff here. Second AMA member AMA field or not if something happens with a model airplane outside of the self regulating rules the FAA will see it as a model airplane community thing, not just an organization incident and all of model aviation will suffer. We have to remember we are all in this together if we want to continue to fly!

sensei 11-06-2012 03:46 AM

ORIGINAL: wkdbuell

There is no actual weight limit if it is a non AMA field. if it is then i think inspected its up to 125 now.
I think your right last I heard, 125 is the number inspected.

Bob

sensei 11-06-2012 04:02 AM

An AMA designated inspector so you could have liability coverage under the AMA blanket, but as you stated you guys are not AMA members so all liability stops with you and the owner of the property you are flying from.

Bob

j.duncker 11-06-2012 05:28 AM

In the UK there is no upper limit but there is an inspection scheme which is operated by the Large Model Association on behalf of the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA)and is a legal requirement that applies to all model aircraft exceeding 20Kg and their pilots who operate them within the confines of the United Kingdom.

I do not know of the current heaviest model in use in the UK but suspect it will be in the region of 250 to 300 lbs.

Top_Gunn 11-06-2012 05:42 AM

There's some misinformation in this thread, so let me put the answer to the OP's question simply:

1. There is no law limiting the weight of model airplanes. This is true whether you are an AMA member or not, and no matter where you are flying.

2. The AMA weight restrictions apply in determining whether your AMA insurance will cover you and whether you can fly at an AMA club field. Since you don't have the insurance and aren't going to fly at an AMA club field, this doesn't affect you.

3. If something goes wrong and somebody gets hurt or there's property damage, you could be found liable for damages and, in an extreme case, you might be convicted of a crime like manslaughter, reckless endangerment, etc. The fact that you were flying an unusually heavy model could be used as evidence against you in cases like this. There is no magic number, though.

rgburrill 11-06-2012 08:57 AM

I am so sick of hearing this "I don't belong to the AMA so I can do what I damn well please" crap! [:@]  Stop thinking about yourself and think about the eniter hobby in general.  As stated in the US the FAA owns the airspace get over yourself!

Top_Gunn 11-06-2012 09:22 AM

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

I am so sick of hearing this ''I don't belong to the AMA so I can do what I damn well please'' crap! [:@] Stop thinking about yourself and think about the eniter hobby in general. As stated in the US the FAA owns the airspace get over yourself!
OK, so give us a citation to a statute or regulation establishing a weight limit for models. Saying "The FAA owns the airspace" means nothing until the FAA makes a regulation, and they haven't done that yet. The OP asked for information, and I gave it. This has nothing to do with "thinking about yourself": I've never had a plane weighing more than 16 pounds and I don't expect that I ever will. Whether the absence of a weight limit is good or bad is not the issue here.

JollyPopper 11-06-2012 09:36 AM

Thanks, guys. I believe I understand what we need to do to stay within the rules well enough to contact the right people if the need arises. The project is a C130 with four new Saito 180s for power. We had the engines mounted on a board last week, each with its own tank, and we got them all running in synch. What an amazing experience. I was still vibrating when I got home and still say "huh?" a lot when someone talks.

I'm going to take a short time out now so I can think about myself and not the eniter hobby in general so that I can do what I damn well please.

Top_Gunn, I believe that missile was aimed at me because I had the audacity to say that I was not AMA. Automatically makes me a bad person.

Gray Beard 11-06-2012 09:50 AM

ORIGINAL: j.duncker

In the UK there is no upper limit but there is an inspection scheme which is operated by the Large Model Association on behalf of the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA)and is a legal requirement that applies to all model aircraft exceeding 20Kg and their pilots who operate them within the confines of the United Kingdom.

I do not know of the current heaviest model in use in the UK but suspect it will be in the region of 250 to 300 lbs.
When I was still involved with IMAA I used to get magazines from the UK showing there giant scale events. I was amazed at the size of these planes. I will never forget a photo of a young lady pushing a plane out to the flight line, she could have gotten into the cockpit, the plane was huge.. That's when I discovered thee UK had no weight limit. There were a lot of fantastic planes being shown!
RG, there are a lot of people that don't belong to the AMA and a lot of non sanctioned fields around the country. Get over it. I'm betting only about 1/4 of the people I fly with are AMA members. Only a handful of these people ever fly at an AMA sanctioned field. It's been 6 years sense I have flown on one. I no longer fly events, competitions or shows. I fly on private fields or on open lake beds. If the dues were cheaper I'm sure most of the guys I fly with would join just to help support the AMA but the dues are a lot for just getting a magazine each month. I tend to let my membership run out each year, the dues are due over the holiday season when my bank account is at it's lowest. They don't pro rate my fees just because I only belong for 9 months a year either. Guys I fly with on the lake bed may only take up a plane a few times a year too. No reason for them to join.

crash1ace 11-06-2012 10:19 AM

I don't trust or ever feel safe around any model flyer who isn't an AMA member either .

acerc 11-06-2012 10:38 AM

Five years ago I did all my flying on open pasture. One day something went wrong and I had lost all control of my airplane. The last I had seen of it it was flying east, straight and level. About two week's later I got a visit from a (two mile away) neighbor. He had some photo's of my plane in his house with photo's of the window it went thru.I got very lucky in the fact we here where I live are not sue happy and he only asked that I pay for the damage's. Which I gladly did. Knowing how society is these day's I know that incident could have cost me many thousand's of dollar's in legal fee's and damages. I promptly joined the AMA and a club. I have too many assets and finance's to risk with assuming the risk of liability myself.

JollyPopper 11-06-2012 11:13 AM

I don't intend to defend myself over this AMA non mermership thing. As I stated earlier, we were AMA until one day when the self proclaimed AMA cop at our field threw the owner's brother off the field. He did not know it was Jim's brother, but I doubt that would have made any difference to him. This self important AMA member's name is Carl. None of us really liked Carl and his shennanigans was tearing the group apart. He really thought he was the boss even though he had no official status in the club. So when he really belligerently insisted Jim's brother leave the field, Jim's brother went directly to Jim whose business is also on the property. Jim came down and did everything but physically attack Carl. I wasn't aware that Jim even knew some of those words because I had never heard him use them and to this day have not heard him use them again. To make a long story short, Carl has never set foot on the property again and we became non AMA affiliated that day. I have also observed that since that day there has not been any kind of politics or dissension in the group. We are not now AMA and we will never be AMA again as long as we fly on Jim's private property.

I realize that having the AMA insurance backing us up would be a good thing, but it ain't gonna happen as long as we fly at Jim's field. So we have two choices. We can continue to fly at Jim's with everyone getting along very well or we can find another field, join the AMA, and hope nobody comes along who wants to assert himself and use AMA rules to back him up. The politics in that situation got really nasty.

We have all heard the horror stories of how difficult it is to find a decent place to fly.

I choose to stay at Jim's.

sensei 11-06-2012 11:44 AM

I don't intend to defend myself over this AMA non mermership thing. As I stated earlier, we were AMA until one day when the self proclaimed AMA cop at our field threw the owner's brother off the field. He did not know it was Jim's brother, but I doubt that would have made any difference to him. This self important AMA member's name is Carl. None of us really liked Carl and his shennanigans was tearing the group apart. He really thought he was the boss even though he had no official status in the club. So when he really belligerently insisted Jim's brother leave the field, Jim's brother went directly to Jim whose business is also on the property. Jim came down and did everything but physically attack Carl. I wasn't aware that Jim even knew some of those words because I had never heard him use them and to this day have not heard him use them again. To make a long story short, Carl has never set foot on the property again and we became non AMA affiliated that day. I have also observed that since that day there has not been any kind of politics or dissension in the group. We are not now AMA and we will never be AMA again as long as we fly on Jim's private property.

I realize that having the AMA insurance backing us up would be a good thing, but it ain't gonna happen as long as we fly at Jim's field. So we have two choices. We can continue to fly at Jim's with everyone getting along very well or we can find another field, join the AMA, and hope nobody comes along who wants to assert himself and use AMA rules to back him up. The politics in that situation got really nasty.

We have all heard the horror stories of how difficult it is to find a decent place to fly.

I choose to stay at Jim's.
I don't see that you need to defend yourself either, you know the risks so just use common sense and have fun, besides this is another one of those controversial threads that nobody comes out the winner or loser...

Bob

Gray Beard 11-06-2012 11:57 AM

Something like that happened to us at the crop duster field one of my clubs used for our runway. From then on it was flying by invitation only. The club itself was AMA but we owned no land or flying site of our own. I never bothered to real all the rules for the AMA but as members we all belonged to the AMA. Joining is a good idea and in my case I flew all over the state at IMAA events so I had no choice.
As to the question of weight limits there wouldn't be any at a non AMA field. I fly at one private place and you could fly anything you like but it isn't the best giant scale field. The freeway is too close and Las Vegas Blvd. is also too close. It's almost a sq. mile of open though but there could be a safety problem is a plane got away like acerc mentioned. I had it happen once but that was at my old home field in the mountains. Here in the city it could get ugly. The field doesn't have to be AMA but it's not a bad idea to be a member. It could save you a lot of money in the long run. I do let mine laps for a few months each year. Why anyone would want there dues during the holidays is beyond me. Maybe next year I will be flying a few IMAA events and will have to have the membership even if I didn't want it. I'm going to be building a couple more giant scale planes next year and would like to show them off. IMAA is a great place to do the show and brag. These people understand what they are seeing and what it takes to build one. No one really cares out at the lake bed, they all fly ARFs, giants but ARFs and have no understanding of building. I need my ego stroked once in a while.
Max, you have no weight limits, build them as big and heavy as your runway and area can handle.

BarracudaHockey 11-06-2012 12:27 PM

Please don't judge all AMA members or the organization by the actions of one.

Hell, I have a couple of friends that are lawyers.

JollyPopper 11-06-2012 12:43 PM

I certainly undertstand that. I've had friends who were lawyers also, and , worse than that, I've had some that were doctors. :D

Hey, I'm not judging anyone except Carl He was (is) a total jerk. And I would rejoin AMA if I ever flew anywhere but where I do. But having AMA would do me no good flying at a non AMA sanctioned field.

BarracudaHockey 11-06-2012 01:15 PM

But having AMA would do me no good flying at a non AMA sanctioned field.

Why do you think that? Thats not the case at all.

JollyPopper 11-06-2012 01:22 PM

My understanding is that you must be flying at an AMA sanctioned field for the insurance to be good. Correct me if that is wrong,[:o]

Top_Gunn 11-06-2012 01:34 PM

My understanding is that you must be flying at an AMA sanctioned field for the insurance to be good. Correct me if that is wrong,[:o]
AMA insurance is not limited to accidents at AMA club fields. You do have to be in compliance with the AMA safety code, though.

sensei 11-06-2012 02:17 PM

So I have a question; what do you think the all up weight of the C130 is? Can't be too bad or 4 180s would not get the job done.

Bob

JollyPopper 11-06-2012 02:40 PM

We don't really know yet. The fellow who is building the plane is still making moulds for it. It will be an all figerglass plane. What weight range do you guys think 4 180s would lift? One 180 would fly a 15 pound plane, would it not?

Top_Gunn, can you be in compliance with AMA code and not be at an AMA field? I thought that was the first stimpulation.

sensei 11-06-2012 02:47 PM

If you want a sweet wing and power loading I would do everything in my power to keep it under 50 lbs. You will be very happy you did in the end.

Bob

da Rock 11-06-2012 03:18 PM

One 180 would fly a 15 pound plane, would it not?
By that yardstick (and it's a decent one for a rough estimate), a 4-engine using 180s would fly at 60 pounds. In fact, you can often fly more than 30lbs with 2, more than 45 with 3, more than 60 with 4.

Top_Gunn, can you be in compliance with AMA code and not be at an AMA field? I thought that was the first stimpulation.
Absolutely. AMA insurance has layers. It starts with the individual modeler wherever he is flying. Both of my clubs got their fields when they showed the owners the section of the coverage that specifically covers the field owner. The club is also protected as a club. It's been developed over the years to cover model flying well enough that it can be done without worry.

JollyPopper 11-06-2012 05:01 PM

So if I can fly anywhere I want, what do I need to do to be in compliance with AMA code?

sensei 11-06-2012 07:57 PM

Most all AMA sanctioned fields I have been at have the AMA rules and regulations posted at the field, just go check them out.

Bob