RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Screw Drivers (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11324576-screw-drivers.html)

bikerbc 12-08-2012 08:28 PM

Screw Drivers

It seems like I am always looking for little screw drivers to fit the tiny screws that we have through out our planes...There are a lot of screwdrivers that are absolute crap...Does anybody have any suggestions on where to purchace some quality screwdrivers that will fit the little screws we use , a variety of sizes and tips etc. .. Maybe Craftsman ? I have had precision sets and havent had much luck with most of them although some were okay....There is only a few sizes we really use so there is no point in buying multi tip sets...I would sooner pay extra for quallity tools that will fit and last...

huck1199 12-08-2012 08:56 PM

RE: Screw Drivers

LHS usually have the JS (Japanese Standard)  type screw drivers. I have sizes 0, 1, and 2.

Gray Beard 12-08-2012 08:57 PM

Ken, I have a complete set of WIHA screw drivers {the small set} that are made in west Germany. All the tips are Molybdan and they fit! You could maybe find them on Goggle. I have them in both flat and Philip's. They get used pretty much every day and are worth there weight in gold to me. They have the loose red head that swivels too. I have a few others that have found there way into my shop too but these are the ones I use constantly. I'm sure it is supposed to be Molybdenum but the handle says Molybdan? They were a gift from an old modeling friend of mine that could no longer use them.

Rodney 12-09-2012 03:54 AM

Most of those small screws on servos and electronics use the JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) type screw heads. While they look a lot like a Philips head, they are not and if you use the Philips screwdriver you will not get a good fit and can actually ruin the screw heads. You will thank yourself many times over if you break down and buy a good set of JIS screw drivers after you see how much better they work on those little screws. Most of the better hobby shops now handle them, if not you can order them from several sources.

bikerbc 12-09-2012 05:56 AM

Thankyou for your replys .. I was not aware until just a few days ago that there was such a thing as ( JIS ) I am going to see if I can find myself a set...I use a lot of the little #0 phillips 1/4" and 3/8" and they are hard enough to handle as it is without having a screwdriver that dosent fit...I often slip a short piece of fuel tube on to the screwdriver shaft and slip the screw into that to help hold it till it starts... Your tips have helped , thankyou ..

LesUyeda 12-09-2012 07:31 AM

JIS does indeed look like standard Phillips, but they are much shallower (sp) than Phillips, and standard screwdrivers WILL slip when pushed just a little.

Les

scale only 4 me 12-09-2012 01:34 PM

I always toss the Phillips and Slot screws and only use hex screws/bolts,, problem solved

carrellh 12-09-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: bikerbc

Thankyou for your replys .. I was not aware until just a few days ago that there was such a thing as ( JIS ) I am going to see if I can find myself a set...I use a lot of the little #0 phillips 1/4'' and 3/8'' and they are hard enough to handle as it is without having a screwdriver that dosent fit...I often slip a short piece of fuel tube on to the screwdriver shaft and slip the screw into that to help hold it till it starts... Your tips have helped , thankyou ..
One source http://www.rjrcooltools.com/jis.cfm
You can find also them on Amazon

vicman 12-09-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

I always toss the Phillips and Slot screws and only use hex screws/bolts,, problem solved
I do the same thing. Works great!

K-Bob 12-10-2012 05:21 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: vicman

Quote:

I do the same thing. Works great!
Yep, especially servo arm screws. It's very inexpensive to do.

Gray Beard 12-10-2012 10:23 AM

There was an article in one of the magazines a couple years back about the JIS. Before that I had no clue there was such a thing out there.
As a kid racing motorcycles I found out about things like the British Whit-worth, the American SAE and of course Metric. I'm sure I'm not the only one that wondered why an American car would have SAE and Metric hardware, I thought it was just to mess with your head back in the late 70s and 80s.
Then along comes the JIS? At least these days it's just usually SAE or Metric we run into but the JIS gives us another reason to have some more cool tools.
I do see a problem in the future. I have a lot of odd ball tools on hand, when I drop dead there is no one to teach my grand sons about things like this. Oh well, I won't worry about it, I had to figure it all out myself too.:D

Rodney 12-10-2012 11:09 AM

There is one more Phillips type screw head (Reed $ Prince) which a lot of the aircraft manufacturers used. A better head than Phillips plus one large screw driver would fit all size of screws from a #4 to as large as you needed with a perfect fit. I have not compared one to the JIS but cursory inspection indicates that the two are very similar. Both are much superior to the Phillips.

bikerbc 12-19-2012 02:21 PM

I recieved my screwdrivers from Central Hobbies today..They are pretty good quality and they really hang onto the screws..They make a big differance...It only took 9 days to get them all the way up here in Canada and this time of year too...