RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   What Is Your Best Two building Rules? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11594383-what-your-best-two-building-rules.html)

sensei 02-06-2014 12:24 PM

What Is Your Best Two building Rules?

My first rule is build them light. My second rule is to follow my first rule. So what is yours?

Bob

speedracerntrixie 02-06-2014 12:35 PM

hey Bud you should have gone fishing with that can of worms haha, First rule, build it strait. Second rule build it light. Third rule, use the appropriate materials ( including adhesives ).

AMA 74894 02-06-2014 01:13 PM

yupper... you guys pretty much nailed all my 'cardinal' rules
Build them light.
Build them straight
I tend to take more time cutting and sanding than gluing (make the joints as perfect as possible)
and use the right materials (epoxy where required, ply where required)
one more of my own personal rules (with only a few exceptions)
build them to LAST and to be easy to maintain.
(exception as an example... if I were building an airframe specifically for competition, that airframe really doesn't need to last more than 2 seasons at most, but DOES need to be LIGHT)

sensei 02-06-2014 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie (Post 11730418)
hey Bud you should have gone fishing with that can of worms haha, First rule, build it strait. Second rule build it light. Third rule, use the appropriate materials ( including adhesives ).

LOL. I will leave that one alone...

Bob

JohnBuckner 02-06-2014 03:56 PM

My first rule, Realize it always takes at least four times longer than first estimate.

In this way you are not as likely to stall out completely at the half way point when you realize your original estimate was a fantasy:rolleyes:

John

YAT-28E 02-06-2014 04:01 PM

#1-Make a pot of coffee
#2-Dont glue you fingers together

Redback 02-06-2014 04:12 PM

WIng joints are not a place to save weight by going light with the epoxy!

Terry

JPMacG 02-06-2014 05:11 PM

Don't point the new CA bottle toward your face when you go to cut the little tip off.

DavidAgar 02-06-2014 05:15 PM

My first 2 rules for my building session is to make sure the coffee is hot and the music is good....Good Luck, Dave

red head 02-06-2014 05:15 PM

Read twice , build ( As said above ) once . ENJOY !!! RED

Rob2160 02-06-2014 05:26 PM

I have built more helicopters in the last 4 years than planes so these are my 2 first Heli rules.

Rule 1. Loctite every nut and bolt.
Rule 2. Check that you loctited every nut and bolt.

dbacque 02-06-2014 05:40 PM

My top 2 rules (this is getting redundant):

#1: Build it straight. If it's not straight, it's not worth flying.

#2: Build it light. Once it's straight, the lighter it is, the better it flies.

Here's a few things I do to abide by these rules:

Cut and sand every glue joint for a perfect fit before glue is applied. Cut a new part if required. Less glue = less weight (rule #2), better fit = better accuracy (rule #1).

Correct wood for each application. Light where it works, strength where required. Provides accuracy where required (rule #1), builds in lightness (rule #2).

Correct glue for each application. Use the lightest glue that is advisable for a joint but don't be afraid to use epoxy where required. Light glue = light plane (rule #2), strong joints = accurate plane (rule #1).

Careful positioning and jigging of each part before gluing. Accuracy of construction (rule #1), increases accuracy of joint to reduce glue (rule #2).

Just my 2 points and 2 cents.

Dave

slapshot1997 02-06-2014 06:02 PM

#1: Buy something that has already been built by somebody else.

#2: Set it up carefully and fly it well to avoid crashing and having to rebuild / repair it.

mustangman177 02-06-2014 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner (Post 11730594)
My first rule, Realize it always takes at least four times longer than first estimate.

In this way you are not as likely to stall out completely at the half way point when you realize your original estimate was a fantasy:rolleyes:

John

Sometimes the journey is better than the destination

52larry52 02-06-2014 08:14 PM

Rule #1....Take your time and always do the best job you can with the the materials, talent, equipment and knowledge you have available to you. Rule #2....When you run into problems, refer to rule #1

speedracerntrixie 02-06-2014 08:34 PM

My rule for this coming season.......build less, fly more.

sparky4lawndart 02-06-2014 09:02 PM

Forgive me while I gibber a bit... Since I haven't built a successful airplane beyond assembling an ARF or perform repairs post stripping the covering I find that I run out of "focus" or "drive" if it can't be done quickly and easily... I'm working on a TF GS P-47 bash and I kept stalling over the last two months. The razorback conversion from WylieWarbirds.com went on pretty easily... I struggled with the Bondo... The fiberglassing was rushed as sanding is my least favorite pastime. Now I'm at the point in the bash that I've got to do the detail work... Install electronics, engine, blah, blah, blah... boring out the Robart pin hinges and getting them right...

This is the reason that I haven't bought a kit yet. Laziness is a project killer.. too many distractions. I prefer to buy my birds and fly 'em til they're no longer flyable... Eventually... Later rather than sooner I'll slow down enough and commit... I'm thinking a big ME109 w/ an inline Kolm.. that would be ****-hot

sensei 02-06-2014 09:04 PM

Lots of good input here so far. I can't speak for anyone else but the only epoxy I use on my wood structure airframes is laminating epoxy to bond my balsa sheeting to the foam cores utilizing vacuum, otherwise everything else is bonded with thin and medium CA including engine boxes, firewalls, and landing gear blocks, there is one exception to that though, I also use a little Gorilla glue for installation of wing tubes, spar caps, and servo rails in the foam parts prior to sheeting.

Bob

j41captn 02-06-2014 09:17 PM

The responses from most of you sounds very familiar: 1. Read twice
2. Build it straight
3. Build it light
4. Sand
5. Use correct glue
6. Good coffee and music LOL
7. Have patience and a good sense of humor
8. (I do it all the time) Glue my fingers together or to the plane
My only advice is to not give up because the best part of building is when the plane flies, take very little trim and lands like you think it should. Beautiful thing

Dave

lawrence b 02-06-2014 10:02 PM

4 Attachment(s)
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1966185http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1966183http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1966184http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1966186

Rule #1: Build something different, it's nice to show up with something nobody else has. (Yea, you have to draw your own plans and scratch build it)

Rule#2: Build them big, the bigger they are the better they fly. (Also as I get older I can't see the small models)

balsa brain 02-06-2014 10:47 PM

Number one for me is to never fly anything I did not build from plans or of my design and two would be never ever push a build so hard that it starts feeling like a job. This is a hobby for me and will never be a way to make a living so just relax and enjoy the build.

MetallicaJunkie 02-06-2014 11:49 PM

enjoy building ..drink some good beverages of your choice...check your cuts/fit twice before gluing...dont build two wing halves at a time(no i havent done it yet :) and some good music or an interesting show in the back ground

flyoz 02-06-2014 11:51 PM

Use plenty of 6" nails

SeaJay 02-07-2014 12:53 AM

Hey, Lawrence B,

Is that Yellow dual engine Disk aircraft based upon some experimental aircraft of the past or your own design?? I would love to show up to the field with something like that, I know that I would be the only one here with one!!

That's one interesting looking plane!!

Craig.

gene6029 02-07-2014 02:09 AM

Craig, since Lawrence hasn't answered yet, i'll chime in. The yellow plane is a scale model of the Vought V-173 flying pancake. I can attest to Lawrences building skills ( he is a Top Gun contender ) and all his unusual models fly extreamly well. Dont want to get off track here just want to answer your question.....Gene