RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Warped Aileron (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11595452-warped-aileron.html)

TPL33 02-28-2014 07:42 AM

Warped Aileron

Any tips on how to get a warp/twist out of an aileron that's already installed on a wing? I'm putting together a Great Planes Revolver and when I hooked up the aileron push rods, I couldn't get the aileron centered with the wing tip and wing root. The aileron sticks up higher than the wing TE on the root side, and lower than the wing tip TE. I didn't measure how far it's off, looks to be 1/16-to 1/8" or so.

j.duncker 02-28-2014 08:39 AM

If it were mine I would average out the position. IE a bit up and down. Then go fly it. You are not talking about a hitech pattern model. Just be ready to trim the aileron on the first flight.

Getting an established built in warp out ON A LONG TERM basis will be hard.

If it is built with separate pieces remove the covering separate the pieces with a sharp knife reglue with the parts laid out on a FLAT surface.

If it was a solid piece I would build a new one.

TPL33 02-28-2014 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by j.duncker (Post 11748052)
If it were mine I would average out the position. IE a bit up and down. Then go fly it. You are not talking about a hitech pattern model. Just be ready to trim the aileron on the first flight.

Getting an established built in warp out ON A LONG TERM basis will be hard.

If it is built with separate pieces remove the covering separate the pieces with a sharp knife reglue with the parts laid out on a FLAT surface.

If it was a solid piece I would build a new one.

With redoing the aileron in mind....how hard would it be to remove it from the wing since it has CA Hinges? This is the first time I've used the CA type hinge. I'm thinking of calling Great Planes and getting a new aileron or making one myself.

daveopam 02-28-2014 04:35 PM

You can center it and have OK results. Many times you can fix it on the plane. Have someone twist it to just past the correct position. Heat the covering on both sides with a heat gun.(leather gloves help) Hold the position until the covering cools. As I said, this will work most of the time.
It's not hard to remove the old one and replace it. If you are going to cut it off though, put it back on with some Robart hinge points. This will pay dividens down the road.3

david

bob62 03-01-2014 08:03 PM

bob62

What David said is the correct way to fix

jester_s1 03-02-2014 05:53 PM

I've used the twist n heat method before too, and it works fine. My Kaos had 3 degrees of warp in both the stab and vertical, and 2 degrees of warp across the whole wing. Must have been a bad building day in China. I was able to get everything within 1/4 of a degree of perfection using just the heat gun.

sensei 03-02-2014 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by daveopam (Post 11748362)
You can center it and have OK results. Many times you can fix it on the plane. Have someone twist it to just past the correct position. Heat the covering on both sides with a heat gun.(leather gloves help) Hold the position until the covering cools. As I said, this will work most of the time.
It's not hard to remove the old one and replace it. If you are going to cut it off though, put it back on with some Robart hinge points. This will pay dividens down the road.3

david

+3