RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Copying Models from Futaba 12FG to Futaba 14SG (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11598144-copying-models-futaba-12fg-futaba-14sg.html)

blainer48 04-25-2014 12:09 PM

Copying Models from Futaba 12FG to Futaba 14SG

I just bought a Futaba 14SG from Tower and got it this morning. I have already updated it to the latest firmware and my 12FG was also updated to the latest firmware. My question is that I copied my models from the 12FG onto an SD card so that I could transfer them to the 14SG but they are not showing up on the 14SG. It shows they are on the card because when I go into the "Information" menu on the 14SG it shows there are 5 things on the SD card. When I go to the model select screen and switch from TX to Card, the models do not show up as being there. Why is this? I talked to Futaba support and all he said was "well, they should be there and if not, then I don't know what to tell you". Great support. When the Futaba support guy says the models should be there and should transfer, then I would expect them to be there. Does anyone have any info or help they can give me I would greatly appreciate it.

Jason

malcolmholt 04-26-2014 01:35 AM

Despite what Futaba support may have said, I am pretty sure that it is not possible to transfer models between the 12FG and the 14SG. Their file systems are different. You will have to transfer the data manually.

jetmech05 04-26-2014 04:11 AM

The good news is when I transferred manually between a 9 cap and a 2.4 10 everything was exactly the same even the trims

LesUyeda 04-26-2014 06:32 AM

Welcome to the "wonderful" world of Futaba. Been using them forever, but every once and a while:-(((((((((((((((((

I went from an 8UAF to an 8UAF Super. No problem, right. Just copy everybody to the memory expansion module and transfer to the new. Wrong. Totally different animals. Booooooo.

Les

blainer48 04-26-2014 06:48 AM

Well, what really pisses me off is that their own "support" people don't even know this. I hate calling the futaba support because the guy that answers always has this tone that you are just totally wasting his time. They have the "model data converter" that should be kept up to date with all the current radios that they have out. What is the point of all the wonderful SD card saving options when you can not transfer anything except from similar radio to similar radio. Kind of ties ones hands when you want to upgrade or move on to a different radio. I have used Futaba from day one and I will continue to use Futaba. I just wish they had a better support team that actually gave solid info and help on their products. I mean keep the "model data converter" software up to date and make it a little easier on the people who buy their radios and support them. Throw the consumers a bone.

Jason

LesUyeda 04-26-2014 09:15 AM

Unfortunately, Futaba just ain't what it used to was. In the old days, before the evil empire took over, the customer was king.

Les

blainer48 04-26-2014 12:36 PM

Well, that statement could be said about the way a lot of these companies treat their customers anymore. The attitude is almost a "we don't care if we loose you because there's always the next sucker waiting in the wings". Just pretty sad and frustrating. Like I said, at least update the model data converter software to include the newer radios that are available. Oh wait, that would be customer service and we're really not interested in that.

Jason

LesUyeda 04-27-2014 06:33 AM

"They" have also found out that there is the syndrome of people buying the same manufacturer, just out of habit. "I have always bought X, and will continue to do so, till H freezes over.":

Les

Bax 04-28-2014 07:55 AM

It's not that the data converter hasn't been "updated", it's that the file system and the actual data between the 12FG and the 14SG are so different that you CANNOT convert one from the other. For instance, the 12FG has more functions, offers up to 8 conditions per model with up to 6 rates per condition. Several model type options, much more programming flexibility, and so forth. The 14SG does offer telemetry, but isn't quite as versatile in the actual model programming. If you were to try to convert 12FG models to 14SG models, what do you throw away to make it fit?

Per the website: http://www.futaba-rc.com/software-updates.html

The Model Data converter "Converts data between the 12FG, 12Z, and 14MZ(FX40)". You are asking it to do something it's really not designed to do.

The File System Utility: "This converts data stored on the SD card for the 8FG, 14SG and 12FG to a format readable on a PC. It also converts the telemetry data the 14SG logs to .csv format so that it may be imported into a spreadsheet."

Finally, when the 8U transmitter was replaced by the 8U Super, info in the 8U could be transferred to the 8U Super via the CamPac, but not from the 8U Super to the 8U. The 8U Super had additional functions that the 8U did not have, so the 8U could not "understand" a memory download from the 8U Super.

blainer48 04-28-2014 02:06 PM

Ok, I understand that Bax. I agree and had no problems with my 12FG until the past couple of weeks when it just randomly started clearing out functions and mixes all on its own. When you fly turbines the last thing you want is to not be able to trust your radio 100%. My 12FG has been my main radio for years and years and it has been an awesome radio. Why all the issues with it now, I have no idea. My problem is when I call the support number and someone tells me that they should copy over from the 12FG to the 14SG. Then I spend a lot of time thinking I'm doing something wrong and reformatting the SD card thinking I wasn't copying something right or not doing something in the 14SG to copy them over. So, after spending all that time to find out that it never was suppose to work in the first place was a real slap in the face.

Jason

LuisLauro 03-18-2018 02:25 PM

Luis L. Gonzalez

Just got the new Futaba radio 16 and actually have the FG8 and have not been able to transfer that model from the SD card to the new radio
Does any Anel know if this is possible to do with the card? Or do I need to transfer all manually?
Thanks in advance from your support and replies.