RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Paint compatibility (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11641131-paint-compatibility.html)

Therapy 08-20-2017 04:13 AM

Paint compatibility

Hi all. I just want to set the record straight for anyone researching paint compatibility with glow fuels. Finishing my Sig Senior prompted me to apply paint for graphics. While researching paints some threads have users posting that Rustoleum Painters Touch is compatible. Well I am here to say FIRMLY that the new 2x Painters touch IS NOT nitro friendly! I applied 2 colors (red and black) with Painters Touch and Yellow with straight Rustoleum. The Painters Touch gets tacky, loses its gloss, at appears on my wipe rag while cleaning at the end of a flying day. HORRID! (I religiously and meticulously do this at end of flying day and quickly after any flight)

The good news, it appears that so far the straight Rustoleum is holding up well. Shows no sign of failure thus far. In looking at the solvent ingredients the Painters Touch is definitely different from Standard Rustoleum.

My original thoughts were to apply clear Lustrekote over the plane after graphics but lo and behold it just stopped being available as I finished my paint job. I currently know of no other rattle can glow fuel compatible paint.

As a final thought, Painters Touch was a thorough PITA applying proper to get a nice finish without runs where as the Rustoleum went on like a dream although significantly longer dry time.

Sorry to be so long winded but as I scoured to research this before painting I found differing thoughts. Some swearing it was Nitro friendly. Again, it is NOT.

(the ole "read it on the internet, it must be true") LOL

Thank you for listening.

Therapy 08-20-2017 04:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attaching a pic. Cowl is currently in the "paint booth". :)

Attachment 2228609

kenh3497 08-20-2017 07:13 AM

I've been using automotive urethane as a clear coat. I've sprayed it over Krylon brand paint, Hobby Lobby acrylic craft paints and over automotive basecoats without issue. It is fuel proof and easy to apply though you should use a good respirator to protect yourself. In fact with any of the two part paints a respirator should be used. The urethane I've been using is just a "house brand", Autobody Master brand. I've been happy with it. It sprays nicely and has good gloss without any extra work. It could be wet sanded and buffed for additional gloss if you want to.

Ken

Therapy 08-20-2017 10:16 AM

Yes, I've painted Imron in the past. (way past) But I no longer have the paint guns and respirators. I was hoping for a rattle can paint for ease of clean up. I does look as though I will have to get a touch up gun and use your method. At least it's only the last coat so clean up won't be an issue as much. As in Taa-daa! I'm done! :)

speedracerntrixie 08-20-2017 05:29 PM

Do a search for Spray Max brand of products especially the 2K clear. I have applied this clear over a few different brands of R/C car lexan paint with no issues. The secret is to apply a few very light coats that will flash off fast and seal the colors. Then you can come back with your wet coat.

Just a final thought, I would never ever use Rustoleum, regardless of what anyone says I have never seen it be more then marginally resistant to glow fuel. It's gloss is also horrible.

TomCrump 08-21-2017 04:00 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I clear coat my Rustoleum painted models with Minwax Polyurethane. It seems to hold up well to glow fuel.

The polyurethane will yellow over time, but I'm not concerned. It isn't too visible over yellow, orange, red, and darker colors.

The Lockheed Vega is sprayed with Rustoleum aerosols, and clear coated with Minwax Polyurethane, also in aerosol form.

Leroy Gardner 08-22-2017 01:30 PM

While 2 K clear in a can sounds good, and is made, in all likely hood it doesn't have a hardner in it unless it has a puncture canister in the can. Any time your using a clear out of a can it's going to yellow and is not fuel proof, automotive clear coats are the best of all worlds and can be sprayed over most any paints. You see this question a lot.

Leroy