RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Spoiler Vs Flaps, Calypso (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11641951-spoiler-vs-flaps-calypso.html)

Heli_hoggy 09-26-2017 04:27 AM

Spoiler Vs Flaps, Calypso

Calypso ep glider.... Anyone try to configure the flaps as spoilers? Pros, cons? Been-there, done-that's?

Top_Gunn 09-26-2017 04:32 AM

Spoilers reduce lift; flaps increase lift. Which do you want?

kdunlap 09-26-2017 08:46 AM

The problem I found with my Calypso is that once you cut the flaps off of the ailerons you really lessen the authority of the ailerons. In my opinion this glider needs the full span ailerons. The flaps do work and slow the glider down to a crawl. If I were to do this again, I'd definitely mix the flaps into the ailerons so that you have flaperons. If your radio doesn't offer the mix, don't cut out the flaps. You will really have a harder to control glider.

rgburrill 09-26-2017 09:10 AM

Flaperons is the way to go. And if you do it correctly you can also have spoilerons. Use a 3 position switch for the flaps/spoilers with the center position being the off position.

speedracerntrixie 09-26-2017 04:29 PM

I set mine up the same as I do any other full house sailplane. For landing mode you want crow. Flaps down 45 degrees, ailerons up 20 degrees at full low stick. I did mix the flaps with the ailerons so the flaps have 50% of the throw of the ailerons. I mixed the flaps and ailerons to get a little TE droop with up elevator. With the recommended 1300 mah battery it will be way nose heavy. Mine balances perfect with an 850 mah battery. It will climb like crazy at full throttle so I used a throttle/elevator mix to solve that little issue. Once you get all the bugs worked out, the Calypso IMO is the best foam powered sailplane made.

Heli_hoggy 09-27-2017 12:39 AM

Nose heavy? With the 1300 I had to add a AAA battery for ballast.

speedracerntrixie 09-27-2017 03:42 AM

How are you checking the CG? Using manual setting or flight testing?

Heli_hoggy 09-28-2017 03:39 AM

As per the manual. 1/4 inch ahead of the spar.

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie (Post 12371146)
How are you checking the CG? Using manual setting or flight testing?

speedracerntrixie 09-28-2017 03:53 AM

I got mine second hand and it did not come with a manual so mine was set up as per what was seen during test flights. I will pull it out of storage and measure just where the actual CG is. Mine was definitely nose heavy with the 1300 pack though. With the 850 pack and the correct elevator trim it read lift very well and had a very nice L/D. The crow setting slowed it down very nicely without a huge loss of aileron authority. Of course flying style may change how you want it set up. I had my throttle on a slide switch on my TX and I only used power to get to altitude then flew as if it were a true sailplane. If you fly mostly under power then my CG setting could feel too aft for some guys.

speedracerntrixie 09-29-2017 02:50 PM

I just pulled my Calypso out of storage and slid the wings on to check the CG location. Mine is set right on the wing spar on the bottom of the wing.

Desertlakesflying 09-30-2017 02:32 PM

I have full span flaperons and spoilerons on my Calypso using a 3 postion switch. Up is spoiler, middle is normal, down is flap Works great and really helps in thermals to get in.....or out. My CG is on the wing spar as well and works the best there

Gizmo-RCU 10-01-2017 06:46 AM

Mine flew away. Several weeks ago I was flying on a smokey day. One moment you could see it and then it was gone! After a little while I put it on hard left and pulled all power. Never saw it again as the smoke got denser. My guess is the plane is in a nearby wheat/barley field? Suspect it will soon be harvested, not good!
Lesson, don't fly a white plane in smoke, we had plenty here in the N/W this past summer! Oh Well!

flyboy2610 10-01-2017 10:59 AM

There have been several rather hazy days here in Nebraska this summer with the distinct smell of smoke in the air. There have been some pretty large wildfires in surrounding states, and air quality alerts have been issued a few times this summer.

Gizmo-RCU 10-02-2017 04:58 PM

Lots of fires just north in BC and just east in Montana...........much smoke at that time.