RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Super Tigre GS45 conrod assembly (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11644095-super-tigre-gs45-conrod-assembly.html)

Majic12 01-08-2018 04:11 AM

Super Tigre GS45 conrod assembly

Hello i need some help assembling an engine i bought back around 2004, i bought a Super Tigre GS45 abc engine which had an issue so i wound uo getting a new cylinder piston and conrod. I havent touched since i took it apart all those years ago as i had to leave the hobby but now i have an opportunity to take it up again.. Can anyone help with , whic direction the conrod goes back in as it has a slight bevelled edge on one side and totally flat finish on the other, does the chamfuer/ bevelled edge go towards the crank, that is , facing to the front of the engine or does it face the rear crank case cover?? any help greatly appreciated

hsukaria 01-08-2018 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Majic12 (Post 12396393)
Hello i need some help assembling an engine i bought back around 2004, i bought a Super Tigre GS45 abc engine which had an issue so i wound uo getting a new cylinder piston and conrod. I havent touched since i took it apart all those years ago as i had to leave the hobby but now i have an opportunity to take it up again.. Can anyone help with , whic direction the conrod goes back in as it has a slight bevelled edge on one side and totally flat finish on the other, does the chamfuer/ bevelled edge go towards the crank, that is , facing to the front of the engine or does it face the rear crank case cover?? any help greatly appreciated

The chamfered edge of the conrod bushing should face the crankshaft.

f16man 01-08-2018 03:57 PM

yes to clear the radius at the base of the crank pin......

Majic12 01-08-2018 09:41 PM

Thank you so much , I thought that would be the case, much appreciation for the quick response to both of you..thank you

newlinmr 01-02-2021 06:12 PM

Along this same line: I have a Super Tigre GS45 ABC that has sat for about 10 years. It was quite gummed up but have managed to get it to turn with heat and some cleaning. I am having an issue with removing the piston conrod off the camshaft. It doesn't seem to want to pivot or move enough to come off the camshaft. Anyone out there have any suggestions on what i need to do?

jester_s1 01-04-2021 03:18 PM

Soak it in glow fuel for a couple of days. Turn the engine over after a few hours to break up the congealed castor then again the next morning and the next evening.

newlinmr 01-04-2021 07:52 PM

Super Tigre GS45 conrod assembly

Thank you for the reply jester_s1. Would lacquer thinner work as well? just a thought.

jester_s1 01-05-2021 05:56 AM

It would probably dissolve the castor varnish, but it would also dissolve the orings and gaskets. I guess the most ideal thing would be straight methanol since that's the solvent the stuff was originally mixed with anyway. But most of us don't have any of that around.

newlinmr 01-07-2021 12:39 PM

So jester_s1, as long as the carb and back plate are removed, I should be able to soak the block to dissolve the castor varnish. Once that is done should the cylinder conrod drop off the camshaft easily? I'm guessing I am going to have to soak for a while. Thanks.