RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Smoke 101 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11644482-smoke-101-a.html)

tailskid 01-28-2018 04:37 PM

Smoke 101

4 Attachment(s)
Never bothered to put smoke on a plane before, but the H9 RV-4 just has too much room NOT to :) so I have a couple of questions:

DLE35RA Muffler doesn't have a smoke fitting, so I guess that will require putting one in....Question: What fitting do I use? A typical pressure nipple from a regular muffler? If not, where does one get one?

Second question: Where should I place that fitting? Right between the two muffler exhaust pipes?

Last question: What is a good smoke oil to use?

Thanks for the help guys!

Jerry

BarracudaHockey 01-29-2018 06:40 AM

I'm no expert on smoke mufflers but i can tell you what works for me so far in regards to oil.

I use Robart smoke fluid for my reviews that use smoke. It is thick and stays tight longer than anything I've tried.

The other option is aero cumulus smoke fluid, I tried to get some for review but they wouldn't play but I have friends that use it and swear by it.

tailskid 01-29-2018 04:32 PM

Oops, I think you put one on the Escapade MX instead...my bad......

BarracudaHockey 01-30-2018 04:49 AM

Escapade and now the Phoenix Waco 60cc, you will be seeing that in a few weeks, Im dying to post pictures.

tailskid 01-30-2018 09:36 AM

I found a connection for smoke oil....it is the same oil used by the Blue Angels....can't wait to try it!

BarracudaHockey 01-30-2018 12:23 PM

They use Super Dri if memory serves?

tailskid 01-30-2018 12:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is where I plan on putting the smoke tank - almost on the CG and put the fuel tank in the lower hatch region.....whatya think?

Pylonracr 01-30-2018 08:27 PM

Smoke tank on the CG is a great idea...
Yes, the Blue Angles use Super Dri.
Every smoke system I have seen that worked really well preheated the smoke oil. Usually a couple of wraps of copper or soft brass around the cylinder near the head and then in through a standard pressure fitting into the muffler body. given the choice I would probably send the oil into the muffler around half way from the exhaust port to the outlet. You want plenty of heat to vaporize the oil without incinerating it.

Scott

tailskid 01-30-2018 08:29 PM

Thanks for the insight guys....

red head 02-02-2018 01:53 PM

Buy LOT'S of clean up rags . lol Red

tailskid 02-02-2018 02:23 PM

I plan on doing that :)

Pylonracr 02-02-2018 08:43 PM

The ones I use come on a pretty big roll......
Actually, I buy the blue ones at the auto parts store, they are kind of like a cross between paper towels and cloth rags. For a couple bucks a roll they work great.. Simple green or 409 in a spray bottle helps too.

Scott

BarracudaHockey 02-03-2018 05:41 AM

Depends on exhaust really. The Bisson we used on the Phoenix Waco comes out a bit and makes very little mess. Getting the mixture right to burn the oil you're pumping into the chamber is key too to not making a mess, unburnt oil is both a mess and a waste of money

tailskid 02-03-2018 05:53 AM

Good point!

JohnBuckner 02-03-2018 06:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is the brand I use: From Sullivan it is branded Super-Dri Sky Smoke. The product number is S760 it works well in my turbines and cleanup is minimal. I was able in just the last few days to take delivery of a four gallon case from Tower Hobbies even with their recent problems.

John

Rotten40851 02-08-2018 05:33 AM

I've been making my own smoke oil for years and it works just as good as any store bought oil. @ 6 bucks a gallon it's well worth it, I have tried many formulas and this one works the best of all. 50% Castor oil and 50% Off Road Diesel fuel ( the red stuff) I do pre heat by wrapping brass tubing around the header before injecting the oil into it. I use Sullivan Skywriter smoke pumps and adjust the percentage of oil going into the header for minimal waste and clean up. I got tired of watching my money go up in smoke @ 25 bucks a gallon, I can blow smoke all day now for a fraction of that. HTH, Rotten

tailskid 02-08-2018 09:19 AM

Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer Curtis 02-14-2018 12:29 PM

Instead of using a pressure fitting, use brass tubing.
Start with a piece about 6 inches long. Bend it into
a U shape with one side maybe an inch longer than
the other. On the short piece drill some small holes
through the sides of the tube on the last inch or so.
Drill two holes in one side of the muffler so both legs
of the tube will go in. Drill one hole on the other side
of the muffler so the long leg will stick out. This is
where the oil will enter.

These holes should be on the ends of the muffler so
the tube goes longways through the muffler, but avoid
the guts of the muffler if it has any. Solder the tube in
place with high temperature silver solder, or just wedge
it tightly in "just the right size hole" by squeezing the tube
slightly on each end of the long leg.

The oil goes in, gets preheated, then loops around,
gets even hotter, and then spread out in the exhaust.

Jenny