RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Getting Back in to it... Sort of... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11655185-getting-back-sort.html)

speedwings 10-09-2018 04:04 PM

Getting Back in to it... Sort of...

Hey guys and gals!
It's been a LONG time (15+ years) since I flew an RC airplane. Long story short... Life happened but now my 11 year old daughter is interested in at least trying to fly my RC airplane. I'd like to expose her to RC and if she's not interested in it beyond that, I'd like to get my RC airplane and equipment in good enough condition to donate or sell cheap to someone starting out.

I have a simple SIG Kadet LT-40 that I built from a kit with a cutting edge (at the time) JR XF631 radio. Everything is still in great shape although untouched for 15 years. I'd love your input on where to start to get this back in running condition. The engine was stored oiled and still turns over just fine. Here are some questions:

1- The google hasn't given me a clear winner on where to buy new batteries for the transmitter or receiver. The JR website was no help either. Any recommendations on where to look first?
1a- Am I crazy to try to use the old radio for an endeavor I may not be in to very long at all?
2- What should I be looking for to essentially "preflight" this thing other than checking over servos and getting the engine running well. Any "gotchas" I should be on the lookout for?
3- Does CA glue or the covering itself degrade for an airplane that was stored indoors and out of sunlight?
4- How long does fuel remain usable? I've still got an opened jug of Cool Power that I'm sure has gone bad but I was curious how long you guys keep opened jugs of fuel before you would no longer use it.
5- There are lots of options I see online for computer training software to get my head back in to flying RC. Which ones do you guys recommend? Bonus points for one that might still connect to an antique XF631.

Thank you VERY much in advance for any answers/ideas you might have!

Cheers

wnewbury 10-10-2018 06:07 AM

Contact your local club.
Batteries. Radical RC
72 radios are still legal.
I would get a servo tester exerciser and use it. Amazon has them.
If fuel doesn't get very hot, it might be good. try it.
I like realflight with the included controller but there are other good ones.
Happy Flying.

j.duncker 10-10-2018 06:14 AM

First of all you need new batteries for the TX and the plane. NiMH will do just fine. A bit of searching should find the two packs for 30 -40 $ Try Amazon.

You will need a new glow plug energiser battery too.

You need fresh fuel. This may require a trip to a model shop. These are disappearing fast! Sometimes your closest supplier will be the local flying club. It would be a good idea to visit them with all your kit and I am sure they will help you out especially if your daughter is with you and showing an interest. Junior flyers are rare nowadays.

Your Kadet should still be safe to fly but again the local club will usually have a safety officer who will help you check it over.

Sims are good for training especially those that allow you to use your regular TX or something very like it. I am not up to date with what is available but we do have a sim forum on RCU.

But the very best way to get you and your daughter into the air again is a local flying club with a training program using a buddy box. Use the AMA website to find your closest clubs. I know it is tempting to just find an open space and go flying but if you go down this route be sure to have a big trash bag with you. You will most likely need it on day one.

red head 10-10-2018 07:02 AM

Go the " Visit a club way " if at all possible . Even if you end up joining , in the LONG run it will probably end up the cheapest, best and easiest way. Spend at least a day with the club, watching the instructors etc. to see if there is someone you hit it off with. I hate to say it but there are a few JERKS out there that think they are helping . Just stay aware and you will probably end up having a good time getting you both back into flying , at a safe and decent price . ENJOY RED

speedwings 10-10-2018 06:23 PM

Thank you all VERY much for the input! My old club that is nearby is still around so hopefully I can connect with an instructor. I learned to fly RC initially with an instructor and buddy box and I couldn't agree more in the value of an experienced person teaching a newbie directly.

Thanks again.

Cheers!