RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Folding or Detachable High Wing Design (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/11669272-folding-detachable-high-wing-design.html)

ny_hawk 09-06-2019 09:26 PM

Folding or Detachable High Wing Design

Hi all...

I am trying to find a reliable, and proven build method for taking a high wing, in this case a foam Cessna 182 wing and make it either folding or designed to detach into two wing halves for ease of transport...

I thought of simply using some kind of hinge on the bottom of the wings where they meet, then using the carbon spar cut in half and then epoxy some hard flat surface to the ends so they would meet when folded closed like this ---I I--- to support compression forces..,. Then I suppose a latch could be used on top...or some other similar variation... The thing is I really don't want to guess and I am wondering if anyone has any proven design on something like this that works... The only real goal here is to be able to (quickly) break down the wing into two halves for transport...

Thanks for any ideas...

Jim

rgburrill 09-07-2019 03:28 AM

The only proven design I have seen is the one the manufacturers use, separating the halves. That's the only way I can see where you can guarantee strength of the wing spar.

ny_hawk 09-07-2019 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by rgburrill (Post 12548550)
The only proven design I have seen is the one the manufacturers use, separating the halves. That's the only way I can see where you can guarantee strength of the wing spar.

What might that be?

Maurice Pudlo 09-07-2019 09:41 AM

In general a tube and stud type arangement is used to accurately locate the wing(s), where possible the entire wing is removed in one piece as this further helps maintain the wings structural integrity.

As for keeping the wing attached to the fuselage, you might consider using magnets, nylon screws, even rubber bands.

Very strong magnets would be my choice, along with the tube and stud method to properly locate the wing(s). If you decide to make each wing removable, make sure the tube and stud choice can hold up against the forces the wing will see in flight plus a bit so you have a margin of safety.

Maurice

ny_hawk 09-07-2019 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Maurice Pudlo (Post 12548607)
In general a tube and stud type arangement is used to accurately locate the wing(s), where possible the entire wing is removed in one piece as this further helps maintain the wings structural integrity.

As for keeping the wing attached to the fuselage, you might consider using magnets, nylon screws, even rubber bands.

Very strong magnets would be my choice, along with the tube and stud method to properly locate the wing(s). If you decide to make each wing removable, make sure the tube and stud choice can hold up against the forces the wing will see in flight plus a bit so you have a margin of safety.

Maurice

The wing IS removable... The plane in question comes with two wing halves normally joined with epoxy and reinforced with a carbon rod spar... I'm talking about a design which would allow for rapid joining of the two wing halves instead of a permanent joining and then attaching the wing to the plane. Then after flying the wing would be removed, and the wing separated back into its halves for transport, so the change is from a permanent single wing to an easy wing breakdown into its halves...

Just thought of using a rectangular piece of aluminum on each wing, that could be epoxied around the carbon spar and then slid together one side sized to go inside the other a few centimeters...

Maurice Pudlo 09-09-2019 08:36 PM

The carbon spar and aluminum tube, is basically the tube and stud arangement I mentioned just different terminology. However I can not say if a few centimeters of aluminium tube is enough to support the forces of flight in your case.

Perhaps you can give some more input on the aircraft we are talking about. A brief description of the type of flying would be very helpful too. I'm asking for the details that can flash out what sort of load the wings will see in a worse case situation.

Maurice Pudlo

DGrant 09-11-2019 05:39 PM

yeah... Don't keep the plane a secret... The more information you give on what you have and are trying to achieve, the more feedback you'll get. It's likely either someone might have done what you're wanting to do, or.... if you go as far as giving any reasoning to wanting to have the wing a 2-piece quick break down, (IE transport, storage, etc...).... it's also likely someone might have an idea for exactly what your intentions are. Don't divulge too much though, as you'll get your exact answer very fast... and it won't take 100 questions to figure it out.

Seriously though, the safest way to keep your plane intact during flight is to glue those wings together and find another idea for transport or storage, or whatever it is you're trying to accomplish.

You don't want that 2-piece wing separating when they' aren't supposed too. So... take a risk here... what plane is it?.

ny_hawk 09-13-2019 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by DGrant (Post 12549715)
yeah... Don't keep the plane a secret... The more information you give on what you have and are trying to achieve, the more feedback you'll get. It's likely either someone might have done what you're wanting to do, or.... if you go as far as giving any reasoning to wanting to have the wing a 2-piece quick break down, (IE transport, storage, etc...).... it's also likely someone might have an idea for exactly what your intentions are. Don't divulge too much though, as you'll get your exact answer very fast... and it won't take 100 questions to figure it out.

Seriously though, the safest way to keep your plane intact during flight is to glue those wings together and find another idea for transport or storage, or whatever it is you're trying to accomplish.

You don't want that 2-piece wing separating when they' aren't supposed too. So... take a risk here... what plane is it?.

It's the FMS 182 Sky Trainer...
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...aca4a35cbd.jpg

FMS 182 Sky Trainer

After much consideration I decided on a 1/2 inch square aluminum tube and aluminum bar insert that would allow the two halves to slide together... The wing is supported by a carbon fiber tube spar, two screws hold it on the fuse, where it locks under a flange and two support struts on the wing as seen in the photo... I am very confident that this method will work while adding minimal weight to the plane.... I can post pics of the build here... I am confident enough in my building skills and in the joining concept .. The two part aluminum join should, I think, be stronger than the original spar would be...

The purpose of the "quick join" of the two wing halves is ease of transport.. The wing, while not huge is around 55 inches joined...and it's just a bit too long to make it easy to transport...

Thanks,

Jim

DGrant 09-14-2019 11:15 AM

There ya go Jim! Sounds like you've got it now. You'll do fine.

Post back with your results, as it might help someone else decide to do what you're doing, or not to do it, depending on how it works for you. Good luck with it.

ny_hawk 09-14-2019 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by DGrant (Post 12550271)
There ya go Jim! Sounds like you've got it now. You'll do fine.

Post back with your results, as it might help someone else decide to do what you're doing, or not to do it, depending on how it works for you. Good luck with it.

I will...

I would like to be able to do something similar on another plane like a P-47 or P-40 but I don't know how they build... Transport has always been a royal pain and getting planes smaller for transport helps keep me flying, especially fixed wing...

Jim

DGrant 09-14-2019 02:43 PM

What kind of car do you drive? I've never had any problems getting planes into any vehicle I own. What kind of car is it that you can't fit a 55" wing into?... just so I know in the future not to get that kind of car.. LOL. I am fortunate I bought a van many years ago and can get a 42% scale giant into it no sweat.

I understand keeping something that you can fit and fly though. Some of the modern designs are coming with 2-piece wings these days. Wish I could recommend one... but you'll improvise whatever you find. Happy landings!

ny_hawk 09-14-2019 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by DGrant (Post 12550298)
What kind of car do you drive? I've never had any problems getting planes into any vehicle I own. What kind of car is it that you can't fit a 55" wing into?... just so I know in the future not to get that kind of car.. LOL. I am fortunate I bought a van many years ago and can get a 42% scale giant into it no sweat.

I understand keeping something that you can fit and fly though. Some of the modern designs are coming with 2-piece wings these days. Wish I could recommend one... but you'll improvise whatever you find. Happy landings!

Either my buddy's (I don't remember the model) smallish car which does allow for the 182 fully assembled (I have another one), but nothing else and it is a delicate operation to get it in/out (nose down in the back) It just fits -- it's amazing how small some cars have become... Or my motorcycle (don't laugh) with a really large trunk with custom plane carrier. The trunk is large enough to carry half the width of the wing and the fuse and other equipment and then I get to take my bike and not worry about car issues... :)

DGrant 09-14-2019 07:38 PM

That's great! There's nothing you can tell me that would make me laugh about transpo to the flying field. Myself and many other friends have gotten to the field every which way but Sunday.. myself literally on a bicycle or motorcycle.. and many friends gave be rides years ago when I was young..... all sorts of clever transportation and logistics can be involved in getting out there... even a city bus or public transportation has taken flyers to the flying field... . It's all good. Glad you have the drive to get where you want. So get that wing split and go flying! Have fun.