RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Trainer cord setup (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/3440183-trainer-cord-setup.html)

Synapse 10-10-2005 01:41 AM

Trainer cord setup

I'm looking to help get a friend of mine in the air with a zagi flying wing just like the one I've been flying for years. He has never touched an RC plane before, so I wanted to hook him up through my JR 8103 with a trainer cord. I've got the needed cord on order, but I just have a couple questions about how the setup:

- When configured with my 8103 as the master and his TX as the slave, which device is actually transmitting the signal? Is it always passing out of my TX or does it completely switch over to his once I flip the switch to let him have control?
- (Related to the last question) Should his TX crystal be removed for any reason? I've heard this mentioned elsewhere, which is why I'm asking.

Thanks for any help you guys can give,

-Syn

Lightfoot 10-10-2005 02:15 AM

RE: Trainer cord setup

There is an article on my web page that explains how a buddy box works. Some of the statements about applying power to the slave unit does not apply to a JR system. I have been mistaken in the past in statements I made about buddy boxes not requiring power. If I remember correctly, a JR system has to have power on the buddy box but the crystal must be removed.

redfox435cat 10-10-2005 03:01 PM

The master is alway trasmitting to the model. control is pasted to the slave unit. also on a flying wing. both radios need to be computer radios since the slave doen't use the mixes on the master it has to have its own mix. leave the power switch off on the slave unit. With JR you acually need to set witch unit is slave and master though the program since the unit just turns on once the cord is plugged in. Personally I've alway rather used futaba/hitec for trainer systems since they'er more dummy proof.

Synapse 10-11-2005 12:38 AM

woohoo, thanks for the info redfox. Actually answered some questions I hadn't even gotten around to asking. :)

-syn

pt19 flyer 10-15-2005 01:46 PM

hi
the master tx is still transmitting the rf signal. the control on the slave are modulating the rf signal to the plane. be sure to check that you have identical throws from the slave as on the master, double, double check throws and direction when you have the slave switch activated.

good luck and happy flying
pt19 flyere

donmcgowan 11-12-2005 03:46 PM

short answer - student box must have a battery(an ordinary 9 volt dry cell works fine), the on/off switch must be left off!!!!. The master transmits at all times with the trainer switch only making the student's sticks live rather than the instructor'sand of course the control reverts to the master Tx when the tainer button/switch is released.

d_bodary 11-14-2005 12:19 AM

One other thing with the JR when the trainer cord is plugged in both transmitters light up. The instructors still needs to be turned on the switch on the student box stays off as said in an earlier post. after the flight when you turn off the instructors transmitter the lights will still be on both transmitters. The trainer cord needs to be disconnected from both transmitters to turn the lights off. I have always used a regular transmitter battery in the student box. never tried a dry cell before. Don't see why it would'nt work if you did'nt have a stock transmitter battery.
Dennis