RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   *Cheap Made Engine Test Stand* (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/3522362-%2Acheap-made-engine-test-stand%2A.html)

Zippi 11-04-2005 08:37 PM

*Cheap Made Engine Test Stand*

Does anyone have any pics of the engine test stand that they made so I can get an idea? I will be bolting a Super Tigre 2300 to it.

NJ Georgee 11-05-2005 08:10 AM

RE: *Cheap Made Engine Test Stand*

Take a square peice of plywood put two peices of 1x2 sticks screwed into it.Then if you want you can attach some steel or aluminum strips on top with overhanging edge them drill your motor mount holes into the edges.Mabey paint the whole thing with fuel proof paint.Sorry no pics,Havent built one yet...lol

fwman1 11-05-2005 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the best pic I have of one I made from scrap lumber and Rustoleum red paint. The design key is that its base should extend as far in front of the prop as is practical. This cannot be seen in the picture, but the front base extends about 16" past the vertical portion. This will prevent tip-overs, and minimize foreign object damage. The side supports have a cross brace across their base to the rear provide a location to stack bricks to weigh it down. Don't forget to make it tall enough for ever growing propellers! I have seen an engine pull this one along on the ground with a 16" concrete block on the rear deck. It took about an hour to make, using deck screws and construction adhesive. Good luck.
Roger

Don M. 11-06-2005 06:43 AM

Cheap, you want cheap. This summer I wanted to test my new / old Saito 270. I just had to hear it run but in 20 years of flying I never had run an engine on a test stand before, always an airplane. Bolted it to the deck from my house, put the tank, battery, servo etc. on a piece of plywood, screwed that to the deck and away I went. My wife came running out of the house and told me "if that thing pulls the deck off the house you'll build a new one" :D:D:D I only wish it had that much power, but the improvised test stand worked very well, except for the oil stains on the side of the deck, don't think SHE'S seen those yet, maybe the neighbor's dog ? :D:D:D

I have a picture somewhere, I can't find it, but you must get the idea.

SST 11-06-2005 07:23 AM

Shoot. I just screw the motor mount I'm gonna use to the face of my work bench, and lay the tank on the bench...If I wanna get fancy, I'll use a piece of hose to plumb the exhaust into the trash can so the excess oil won't drip on the floor.

Zippi 11-06-2005 10:21 AM

Thanks for the info guys.