RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   wood filler (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/3561949-wood-filler.html)

jeffk464 11-17-2005 02:14 PM

wood filler

I am starting the finishing work on a top flite 190 fuselage. I have been having a problem with the elmers wood filler, used to fill the gaps in the sheeting, cracking after it has completely dried. Does anyone know what would cause this, I'm thinking it shrinks a little as it dries? Will using balsa filler from the local hobby store fix my problem?

Dr1Driver 11-17-2005 02:57 PM

RE: wood filler

I've never used commercial fillers for modeling, but I understand they work well. I'll suggest you're trying to put too much one at once, and possibly putting it on too wet. The more liquid that evaporates out, the more chance there is of shrinkage and cracking.

I've always used model fillers like Model Magic with great success.

Dr.1

bkdavy 11-17-2005 03:12 PM

I just saw a post in the tips forum that said using microballoons with carpenters glue makes a very nice filler that finishes easily. I'm going to try it tonight on the kit I'm working. I tried the Microballoons with 30 minute epoxy (had some epoxy left over from another part, so thought I try the leftovers, and the result is a very tough filler, but its hard to sand.

Brad

MinnFlyer 11-17-2005 03:36 PM

I use Elmer's too and it works great. My guess is that (Like DR1 said) it's either going on too thick or too wet.

But neither is a problem, just lay another coat on top of the cracks to fill them and let dry. Then sand smooth

jeffk464 11-17-2005 07:19 PM

Cool, thanks for the tips. I will just go ahead and add more filler to the cracks.

BWooster 11-17-2005 08:23 PM

There are light-weight vinyl fillers that do not shrink. They are available at any paint store.

jaka 11-18-2005 02:24 PM

Hi!
The best way to fill any imperfections on a model is to use brown micro balloons and polyester resin (or 24 hour Epoxy resin). Why brown micro balloons you say.? Because these are much more easy to sand then white ones. Brown micro balloons are made from plastic, white micro balloons from glass.
Light weight vinyl fillers found at hobby shops are not particularly good compared to the above fillers and should be avoided.

Regards!
Jan Karlsson
Sweden

rcnut101 11-25-2005 12:22 AM

My personel opinion is to use light weight spackling compound fond in hardware stores. epoxy and microballons can be expensive.
Usally if I have a crack I use thin ca and fill with putty. just remember epoxy ages under heat and is heavy.

jaka 11-25-2005 09:53 AM

Hi!
I can assure you that brown microballoons and either polyesterresin or 24hour epoxy resin(not glue) is the most versatile and easy to use filler you can use . It is sooo easy to sand and is very durable and light . I have been using this for nearly 30 years and tried everything else on the market and nothing compares to it.
Regards!
Jan K
Sweden

iaclmac 11-25-2005 11:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
GOOD QUESTION ... This is what I do. I get the light weight spackle that you can find in any hardware store. It shrinks very little. Once you have filled the areas in question, sand until it is completely flat. Once it is at that point, and your totally happy with the result. take thin CA and a q-tip. Soak the q-tip with a wet drops of the CA and rub it over the filled area. This will harden it. It comes out ROCK HARD. I have attached a couple of pics of a fuse that is totally round. it was made up of 1/4"x1/8" strips and filled in the mannor I just described.

MinnFlyer 11-27-2005 06:20 PM

The first time I saw that light-weight spackle I was really impressed - until it melted under the heat of my covering iron! [:@]

I'll stick with Elmer's. It's cheap, works great, and I can pick it up at Wallmart.

Besides, if you use so much filler that the weight makes a difference, you need to get better at building! :D