RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   anyway to repair fuel tank pinhole? (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/3585126-anyway-repair-fuel-tank-pinhole.html)

Desert Toad 11-24-2005 09:06 PM

anyway to repair fuel tank pinhole?

Hi there,

My fuel tank has a very small pinhole in the rear seam that only leaks when it's pressurized (I can't get any air through it even if I blow into it). I'd really like to get a couple more weekends out of the plane before winter comes and I can remove the tank - it's going to be a big job! Is there anyway to patch this hole? I can reach it fairly well, but there is a lot of built up wood around it, which would be a big job to remove.

thanks,

DT

BarracudaHockey 11-24-2005 09:07 PM

RE: anyway to repair fuel tank pinhole?

I've fixed them with a small low heat soldering iron like you would use for small electronics.

Desert Toad 11-24-2005 10:33 PM

Oh, wow. Melt the seam back together! Great idea, worth a try for sure!

thanks,

DT

PS now it makes sense, read somebody fixed them with a milk carton, probably melted it into the hole. How carefull do I need to be so as not to melt the hole bigger?

Machinegun21 11-24-2005 11:44 PM

If the Fuel tank is plastic and if the hole is about the size of a pin then i would just use this brand of epoxy called JB Weld and just put a thin layer of that over the hole and let it sit overnight and it should be good.

BillS 11-25-2005 07:51 AM

The following technique might not work and may make the situation worse since the leak is on a seam.

The fuel lines on weed eaters and such are simply pushed through a hole in the tank drilled smaller than the fuel line. I have never seen a leak at the fuel line.

Drill a hole and push a short section of fuel tubing through the hole. Put a dowel in the end of the fuel tubing.

Good luck.

Bill

Desert Toad 11-25-2005 09:56 AM

Very familiar with JB weld, but why wouldn't regular epoxy work?

DT

Machinegun21 11-25-2005 04:05 PM

I have not tried to fix holes with regular epoxy so i do not know how well it would work but i can't imagine that it would work any differently.

Rodney 11-25-2005 04:55 PM

You may get by by just turning a small short sheet metal screw into the hole as a plug.

asmithnc 11-25-2005 06:30 PM

Epoxy will not stick to plastics. If air leaks through so has fuel. Jb weld might not hold good b/c of the oil in the fuel. Heat and fuel is not a good mix either. DO it the right way and replace it. It might be a big job and take longer than you want but think of the long term problems.

*JCB* 11-25-2005 06:46 PM

jb weld works well on fuel tanks. i repaired a hole in the tank of my rc boat with it and haven't had a problem yet...but asmithnc is right, just replace the tank, they're cheap and it will be a lot less work in the end.

Desert Toad 11-25-2005 08:52 PM

Well I took a look, and it was easy to pull the tank, but now I need to figure out the right kind of tank for my YS engine. It seems the motor made way too much pressure for the cheap tank I had.

DT

d_bodary 11-26-2005 03:47 AM

I have used hayes tanks with great success with my YS engines. Second way more expensive by far is use a tettra tank from central hobbies. About 15.00 depending on the size. I've used both and had great success both ways. zero failure. I have also seen du-bro tanks used with YS engines and some have popped the stopper out. and some have worked great. may or may not be the assembler.
Dennis