RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Fuel Tank on CG (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/3602291-fuel-tank-cg.html)

aerospot 11-30-2005 07:45 AM

Fuel Tank on CG

I've read posts here that have tweaked my interest for positioning the fuel tank at the CG.
Has anyone done this and what, if any problems would I encounter?
Will it have any effect on how the engine runs? Will I need a fuel pump?

I'm building a Sr. Telemaster and have a 12 oz tank for it. It's proposed to be a sailplane tug amung other duties.
Is this worth pursuing in this project? What about aerobatic builds??

Thanks in advance for the insight!

Dave

exeter_acres 11-30-2005 07:49 AM

RE: Fuel Tank on CG

I did it with my Showtime... I run it with an Iron Bay regulator

bubbagates 11-30-2005 07:52 AM

Yes, for most glow engine you will need some sort of pump. O.S. Engines makes a few 4 strokes with built in pumps and ALL YS engines are either pressure or pumped. All gas engines have a built in pump.

Placing the tank on CG has one major benefit. The CG of the airplane does not change during flight so you will not have to change your trim settings during the flight

BillS 11-30-2005 10:21 AM

Putting the tank on CG in a Sr. Telemaster … probably gains nothing and adds complexity. Why?

Bill

exeter_acres 11-30-2005 10:22 AM

agreed...forgot that part... for a pattern or aerobatic plane...sure... but really no need for a Telemaster IMHO

Vern326 11-30-2005 11:37 AM

Most models are designed for the fuel tank to be right behind the fire wall, and the aircraft is designed to balance with the fuel tank empty. Then when fuel is added it increases the nose weight which makes for a much more controlled flight. Ever try to fly a aircraft that is tail heavy?Very difficult to handle and get it back on the ground in one piece. Vern Washington R/C Flyers - President

JoeAirPort 11-30-2005 11:59 AM

Perry pump, Cline regulator, or Iron bay.

Cline reg is my favorite.

MinnFlyer 12-01-2005 12:10 AM

I'm with the guys who said "Don't bother"

With a Telemaster, you'll go through a lot of work and never notice the difference

Rcpilot 12-01-2005 12:42 AM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I'm with the guys who said "Don't bother"

With a Telemaster, you'll go through a lot of work and never notice the difference
I agree. Especially for a tug plane. You tug the gliders up and pop them loose. Who cares if it's a touch nose heavy on take off. That just makes it stable.

TexasAirBoss 12-01-2005 01:58 AM

A senior telemaster IS a glider !! :D

aerospot 12-01-2005 03:39 PM

Ok, I get the point for the Telemaster but, what about an airplane that I want to do aerobatics with like an Extra.
Is it worth the extra effort and trouble to locate the fuel tank on the CG and would I need to pump it to say a 2 cycle .60 -.90 ??
I havent ventured into the 4 cycles as of yet. Just cant justify the extra cash for em. I'd rather go into a larger scale 2 cycle spark ignition when the time comes... Do they have built in pumps that eliminate the need to worry about tank placment?[&:]

Thanks !!

Rcpilot 12-01-2005 06:34 PM

Any gasoline engine is going to have a pump built into the carb. Put the tank in the tail if you want too. ;) They will pull fuel 3 or 4 feet straight up.

For a glow engine--with the tank on the CG--you'll need an engine with a pump (not many of those) or you'll need a Cline Regulator or Iron Bay Regulator.

IMO--it's worth putting the tank on the CG on just about ANY aerobatic plane. I put the tank on the CG in my little 40 size 3D planes, and I use a Cline Regulator for them.

For a 60 or 90 size Extra--absolutely it's worth the effort to put the tank on the CG. Just run a Cline Regulator on it and you'll be happy.