RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   exhaust gasket (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/3618987-exhaust-gasket.html)

davesteemke 12-04-2005 11:51 PM

exhaust gasket

My .46 Thunder Tiger's exhaust gasket has deteriorated beyond use. Is there any material I can use that is a good substitute?

bbbair 12-05-2005 09:04 AM

RE: exhaust gasket

There are a number of excellent gasket makers at you local hardware store, in the automotive department.

Trade names will depend on your country (this is an international site you know ;) ) and the store, but names like "GOOP" and gasket maker seem to be popular.

Just be careful to get the stuff that is heat resistant and in the 'smallest' quantity possible. - Because we use very little to make our gaskets and by the time that you need to make another one the tube of sealant may have turned into a rock.

Ugo Ferrari 12-05-2005 09:49 AM

Don't waste your time on that gasket ! Metal to metal is the best seal on the exhaust system ! Any attempt at a gasket will eventually burn off anyway... Just my .02...:D

Ugo

JCflyrc 12-05-2005 12:34 PM

I always just cut one out of an old playing card...

Geistware 12-05-2005 12:45 PM

I have made gaskets and I have used high temp RTV. High Temp RTV seems to work the best. Make sure both surfaces are clean and dry. You should not have any leaks. It works great.

Debris Field 12-06-2005 01:52 AM

Usually can't go wrong with a piece of thin card. If you must, gasket paper can be had from most hardware stores.

pettit 12-06-2005 07:25 AM

I recently got a note from one of our readers with a description of how he makes gaskets.

Take a piece of plain old coffee filter and put a dab of high temp silicone sealer on it.

Put another piece of coffee filter over the silicone and squeegee the whole thing flat.

Maybe a large wood dowel used like a rolling pin may work too.

When cured, cut out the gasket from that material.

I don't have that letter with me today bit I'll give the originator due credit whan I remember his name.

BarracudaHockey 12-06-2005 09:17 AM

Clean the surfaces, bolt the muffler on, let it warm up, snug the bolts and go fly.

Been doing helicopters that way for years, never had a leak or a muffler fall off and they vibrate a heck of a lot worse than airplane engines. RTV if your not careful can flake off and get into the cylinder. When that happens it immediately ruins your glow plug.

Geistware 12-06-2005 01:35 PM

Yes, this works.
Sandwich it all between wax paper so it will not stick.
I did this will all of my Brison engines and it works good.
Never tried it on the BME 100. The mount on the Brison had to support the weight as a lever arm (pitts muffler)

ORIGINAL: pettit

I recently got a note from one of our readers with a description of how he makes gaskets.

Take a piece of plain old coffee filter and put a dab of high temp silicone sealer on it.

Put another piece of coffee filter over the silicone and squeegee the whole thing flat.

Maybe a large wood dowel used like a rolling pin may work too.

When cured, cut out the gasket from that material.

I don't have that letter with me today bit I'll give the originator due credit whan I remember his name.