RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Monocoat or Ultracoat? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/3953670-monocoat-ultracoat.html)

samsdad 02-24-2006 10:35 AM

Monocoat or Ultracoat?

I am almost finished building my 3rd kit (Sig Mid-star) and I am beginning to think about coverings. On my other kits, I went with Monocoat. It worked pretty good, but I heard Ultra coat is a lot better. I don't get very fancy with my color schemes, but I do like a nice looking finish. Monocoat does wrinkle easily and sometimes it's a pain to get them all out. What do tou guys think? Or, how about Sig covering or Coverite? Any opinions on those? Thanks

David Cutler 02-24-2006 10:43 AM

RE: Monocoat or Ultracoat?

Monocote is a little 'harder' than Ultracote so its slightly less easy to shape round compound curves like wing tips. Also, Ultracote is easier to shrink using an iron (as opposed to a heat gun).

However, both are good. You can't go far wrong using either.

-David C.

RCKen 02-24-2006 10:52 AM

Both products are good and you can get a good finished result with either one. The problem with asking that question here is kind of like asking which is better, Ford or Chevy. You're going to get answers from both sides of the fence. And just FYI, I prefer monokote. The only real advantage I can think of for monokote is that it's got a larger selection of colors available, but other than that you can get good results with either one.

Good luck

Ken

tuwood 02-24-2006 10:55 AM

I used Monokote on my first kit and was planning to use Ultracote on my second just for comparison. Unfortunately though, when it came time to make the purchase my LHS didn't have any of the colors I needed in Ultrakote plus the fact that it would have cost almost $20 more (6 rolls) I went with Monokote again.

I did have the wrinkle issues on my first build but the heat gun magically removed them all. I'm now halfway through covering my second model with Monokote & I haven't had any wrinkles and couldn't be happier. Plus I really like the Windex method of applying my trim pieces and I don't think you can do that with Ultracote.

I'm sure both coverings are good, it's just a matter of getting used to their individual differences.

Rcpilot 02-24-2006 01:33 PM

I used monkeycote exclusively for yrs.

I actually prefer Ultracote now. But, I'll use both brands--depending on the plane.

Here's why:

Ultracote will practically SUCK itself down around compound corners. Just pull on it and hit it with a heat gun. It'll pull down around a corner without a single wrinkle. Tap it with an iron, and it's stuck down good.

I like that.

Monkeycote is absolutely terrible for going around sharp or compound corners. Little tiny wrinkles everywhere--and you can't hardly get them out.

Other considerations:
Monkeycote has a more shiny or glossy finish than Ultracote.
Monkeycote has more available colors.
Ultracote shrinks at a lower temp.
Monkeycote color is actually an integral part of the film. Pull it up and the color comes with it. Sometimes you can re-stick it.
Ultracote color is only a surface layer. Pull it up, and it's ruined. The color seperates from the other layer.
Ultracote seams to hold it's shape better in the hot summer sun, whereas Monkeykote will wrinkle if you even say the word "sunlight" in proximity of it.

I just used Monkeykote for my 4*120, and it worked fine. I'll use both types, but for something with a lot of curves and rounded corners--I'll use Ultracote. I prefer Ultrcote, but it's not as easy or quick to get as Monkeykote.

ArCeeFlyer 02-25-2006 02:13 AM

Rcpilet explained it nicely. My experience as well. Although I have been able to heat Ultracoat and pull it back up without losing much adhesive and then reattach it. Givng it enough heat at the lifting spot is the trick, but I wouldn't do it more than once or twice myself. Actually, both types have a clear outer layer and a colored adhesive. Just scrape a hot soldering iron across the back of each and watch the color adhesive come off the clear layer. From experience de-covering planes for new covering, Monokote is the one that will seperate easily when trying to remove it, plus it tears easily in strips which can be aggravating and I don't think your going to have much luck in reapplying it and making it hold like the first time, where Ultracote does that well. Did you know that Ultracote was originally called Oracover? Back in the early 90's it was making eyebrows raise at R/C model shows. I watched a guy demonstrate it. He would push his finger deep into it with out breaking and heat-gun the finger mold back out virtually without a trace. He would also apply, remove (with heat), reapply, several times and it kept a good bond. When you remove Ultracote, it will come off with very little shredding. Ultracote is great for low and high temps and high temp seems to bond it even better, but Monokote always need high temp. I like Monokote for the nice gloss finish and shape holding power for things like adding washout to a non-washout built up wing. Ultracote is really nice going on top of itself or Monokote as trim and endures well. Horizon has some wild color schemes in Ultracote. They both do have their uses.