RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   how to get ca off my canopy (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/3976765-how-get-ca-off-my-canopy.html)

t309will 03-01-2006 12:54 PM

how to get ca off my canopy

What is the best way to get ca off my canopy? I've tried goof off but that caused it to smear. Now I've got two drops of ca and this smear to remove. Maybe someone has a home remidity for this.[&o]

firstplaceaviator 03-01-2006 01:20 PM

RE: how to get ca off my canopy

Unfotunately, the Goof Off may cause the canopy to yellow. Wash it thoroughly with dish soap and rinse with water.

Meguires cleaner wax (paste wax) is the best way to remove CA from your canopy.
It works great on paint, monokote and canopies!
It will remove the glue, polish the canopy and wax it all at the same time. It will only take a few minutes.There is NO easier way.........
Here is the exact product you want:

http://meguiars.com/?paste-car-waxes/Cleaner-Wax-Paste

Let us all know how it worked for you.
Doug

jaka 03-01-2006 03:37 PM

Hi!
Hardened CA glue must be polished away with something... I have used a Dremel and a fine sanding drum, sanding very, very carefully and then buffing with a polishing wheel and some auto polishing compound (like 3M finess-it).
There is a second possibility and that is if the canopy itself can stand Nitro...then just loosen up the Ca with nitro. All PET bottle plastics can stand nitro but commercial canopies might be made of other plastics so be careful.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden

discusmike 03-01-2006 10:00 PM

I have a zirolli stuka,my son knocked the ca over on the plane, right after the plane was finished,it landed on the canapy,i tried everything,most of it came off,but it gives the canapy a white hazy look,it will never be the same.If your that concerned your gonna have to buy another canapy.Sorry to give you the bad news,but ive been there.

firstplaceaviator 03-02-2006 07:38 AM

Try the Meguires wax. I GARANTEE good results.
I tried it on a glassed and painted Sig King Kobra when I knocked a bottle of CA off my bench, and right on to my beautiful plane. The glue was on the canopy, cowl and wing.

I did not know that it would work. I had already tried nearly everything else in my shop. But, when I started rubbing the Meguires it on, the CA just stared lifting right off! I was saved!

Funny, how accidents can yield such wonderful discoveries...............

Oh yeah, the King Kobra was painted in automotive urathane. But it had never been waxed.
As far as the whiteness around the CA, the wax took it right off too!!!!!!!!!!!

jaka 03-02-2006 11:53 AM

Hi!
Sounds strange...was this hardened CA glue??

Regards!
Jan K

firstplaceaviator 03-02-2006 12:09 PM

Hi Jan,
Yes, it was hardened CA.
Actually, it was 3 days after the CA was spilled on the plane.
Like I said, I tried everything I had at my disposal!
Acetone would have taken the glue off of the urathane painted surface without a problem.
But, on the canopy, I was worried that it would melt the plastic.

Now, go spill some CA on a smooth surface. (NOT ON A PRIZED AIRPLANE!!) Let it dry. Then try the Meguires!!!!!!!!!

jaka 03-03-2006 01:39 PM

Hi!
I dropped some "Flash" medium CA glue on painted jar lid and sprayed accelerator on it so it hardened really fast.
Then I rubbed on some Meguiar's mold release wax (Paste carnauba wax)...and nothing!
It didn't work..despite having rubbed hard.

Regards!
Jan K

firstplaceaviator 03-03-2006 02:42 PM

Jan,
The wax I used is Meguires Cleaner Wax. It has solvents and ultra fine abrashives.

I don't know anything about the mold release wax.
But, I do know that it is not the same product.

Try the Meguires A1214. IT WORKS!

Doug

Justin2895 03-20-2006 02:34 PM

Im not sure how to get a drop of harden CA off but i have found out how to get the white haze off with good results.

I found that if you rub denatured alc. on with you fingers then let sit for a little while the haze eventualy comes off with a few aplications. then wipe dry with a towl
I dont know how it works "maybe it mixes with the oils in you skin"?

Justin