RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   What kit ????? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/3983338-what-kit.html)

Buteos 03-02-2006 08:11 PM

What kit ?????

OK, I have built several ARF's some more detailed than others. I have installed retracts, both mechanical and air Robarts. I have installed ingines, both Nitro and Gas but I have never (since I was a kid) built and plane from scratch. I don't need anything for 3D and just want to build something that will teach me what I need to know to move to the next level. Give me some help here will ya????:D

w8ye 03-02-2006 09:10 PM

RE: What kit ?????

A Sig Four Star will be a easier to build kit. The 40 and 60 sizes are very popular.

Truely from scratch.... do you mean from plans? Here's a list from RCM....

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/000...ore-plans.html

Buteos 03-02-2006 09:12 PM

A kit will work fine.....something that will allow me to learn....

w8ye 03-02-2006 09:16 PM

There are some excellent follow through kit builds up in the kit building section of RCU. Go to kit building.

There was just a Great Planes PT 40, a Sig Hog Bipe, and theres been many Four Star builds.

The Four Star 60 is Laser cut. The parts fit nice.

The Sig LT 40 is another very popular kit. It's a high wing trainer plane

Buteos 03-02-2006 09:19 PM

I would prefer mid to low wing, something that gives me a leg up on flying the warbirds

w8ye 03-02-2006 09:22 PM

I think the Sig Four Star 40 or 60 size is for you. I did have a Four Star 60. It was reall nice for sport flying.

Buteos 03-02-2006 10:07 PM

It looks like a nice kit...how about Goldberg????

w8ye 03-02-2006 10:45 PM

The Goldberg Eagle II 40 and Protege 60 are good kits for high wingers

The Goldberg Tiger II 40 size and Tiger 60 are some the best simple low wing planes made. They have pattern flying characteristics

Enjoy,

Jim

Gringo Flyer 03-03-2006 08:16 AM

It seems like you are a fairly experienced flyer so I would recomend something like a sig somethin extra rather than the 4*. Its a little more acrobatic.

Or here is a suggestion if you are wanting to get into warbirds. My next project is the Mig3 from Redstar RC. Its a sport scale warbird. While I havent built it yet I have looked through the kit and it looks great, the instructions are very detailed and it should be a fairly easy project if you have built several ARF's.

Its also something fairly original. I bet it will be the only one at your field while I am sure you have a bunch of 4*'s and the like.

Its not going to be as demanding as a typical scale warbird bc of lower wing loading, etc. There is an extensive build thread here on RCU. The website has a link to it. http://www.redstarrc.com/main.html

I cant wait to get started on it.

Daryl_y 03-05-2006 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Since you want to get into warbirds, what about about Great Planes Mustang 40? Its a little more work than a plane like a 4* but would give you good kit building practice practice. The main thing is that if flies SWEET anybody with some low wing experience should be able to handle it. Here a picture of mine, it is built with fixed gear and covered in Ulracote its finished weight was 5.75 lbs and flies very well with a SuperTigre .51

Buteos 03-06-2006 09:16 PM

I guess you could say that I have done things Back Aswards... I have a Hanger 9 P-51 Miss America with a Saito 1.25, Robart Air Retracts, Hanger 9 P-40 with a Saito 1.00, GP Ryan STA with an OS 1.20, Mariner with an Evo .46 and a Kangke Waco with a Brison 3.2 with smoke and I learned and still am on a Hanger 9 P-51 PTS. I tell everyone I am building for the future...when I am good enough to fly all that I have put together...notice I didn't say "built". You have to know how hard it is to see all of those planes each day and know that you could fly any of them......at least 20 or 30 seconds. I feel that by building a kit I will understand more about how they work so I want to build a plane that will allow me to learn and fly and repair if needed so when the day comes if I do have a mishap I will know what to do to rebuild it. Hope this makes sense to you, it does to me.....;)

somegeek 03-07-2006 12:48 AM

I built the LT-40 and am now working on putting together a Sig SE. I have to say that the SE build is a bit more involved than the LT-40. This might be a good one to build from the sound of it to get your feet wet.

Buteos 03-07-2006 04:31 AM

I wrote to Bruce Tharpe and he feels that with my back ground in woodworking it should be pretty easy......we will see......