RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   War Bird covering? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/3986288-war-bird-covering.html)

tfarmer96 03-03-2006 01:57 PM

War Bird covering?

I am getting my stuff together to cover my spit. I know lots of people prefer glassing and paint, but i just dont want to do that. My question is about how to do the camo on this bird. My first plan is to cover the bottom with flat gray monkcoat the top in olive drab monokoat then use the lusterkoat gray to create the camo scheme. Im sure some one can tell me if this is a good plan or not.

Thanks!

Warbird Man 03-03-2006 09:04 PM

RE: War Bird covering?

Monokote on a warbird???

Well, If you must. I would suggest using ultracote instead. Either way, I would pick out a base color and do the whole thing in it.
Then scuff it up real good to get the gloss off and paint all your colors.

I personally have had better results with ultracote than with monokote. I don't know about the rest of the modeling world, but the "flat" monokote doesn't seem to have the same properties as the regular stuff and I have had bad luck with it.

Solartex would be a good option. Use a primer filler and then paint. Iv'e seen alot of WWII birds done that way. Done properly, you won't see the weave.

If you already have the covering, you could cover it all in grey and then go over it with the olive green cut out in the camo shapes and iron that on. You have to be careful not to trap air bubbles under it though. Use the small sealing iron and work it back and forth. from one end to the other carfully. You can also use the monokote trim solvent to apply the second color, but it's a real mess to work with on such large areas.

Glassing is not hard to do and will look much better.

But, thats just one mans opinion.

tfarmer96 03-03-2006 10:53 PM

Well here is the deal....I have no idea nor anyone in my club that is a warbird guy. I dont even know how to begine to do a paintjob on this thing. Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

teufelhund 03-03-2006 11:02 PM

tfarmer96,
you have no idea how to do what exactly, fiberglass? Ben

tfarmer96 03-03-2006 11:05 PM

yes i dont know the process of painting a r/c plane. I have painted trucks and farm equiptment before, but i bet its not the same. I need some ABCs to get me going on the prep work on the airplane.

teufelhund 03-03-2006 11:06 PM

tfarmer96, What size model is this? Ben

tfarmer96 03-03-2006 11:11 PM

its a topflight 60

teufelhund 03-03-2006 11:24 PM

Okay, if you dont want to glass it, you can get some white Coverite to use as a base color. The white is opaque and will give you a great backer to airbrush the scheme you want. If you have never used an airbrush it will be a lot simpler to get yourself a single action brush instead of a double action. Since you have done some painting with a HVLP system (I'm assuming that you used this to paint the equipment on your farm) it will not be difficult to paint with the single action brush as it works the same way. You can purchase a single action brush at your local Wmart most likely, or invest maybe 50.00 to 60.00 dollars on a Paashe that you will probably use again on another project. The only downside to the cloth and paint will be a slight weight penalty depending on how thick you layer it. This will give you the most authentic looking paint though. The fiberglass may or may not add more weight than covering and painting. The other upside to glass though is that you can add panel lines and rivets. Ben

teufelhund 03-03-2006 11:27 PM

tfarmer96,
If you decide to glass it you can do an internet search and find many articles on this subject. Good luck! Ben

tfarmer96 03-03-2006 11:41 PM

Many thanks Ben.

teufelhund 03-03-2006 11:46 PM

No problem, let us know if you have any more questions. Be sure to post some pics to! Ben

tfarmer96 03-30-2006 08:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well i found out it could be done, but it was a big pain.