RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Hinging gluing tips: How you do yours on Dubro hinge. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/4014316-hinging-gluing-tips-how-you-do-yours-dubro-hinge.html)

Magna 03-09-2006 10:42 PM

Hinging gluing tips: How you do yours on Dubro hinge.

Hi all

As I'm about to build my Showtime, I'm going to replace the CA with Dubro standard hinge(with the small pin). What glue you guy used and what techniques you use to avoid clogging up the middle pin?

Thanks!

khodges 03-09-2006 10:49 PM

RE: Hinging gluing tips: How you do yours on Dubro hinge.

If you have a Slot machine, it helps to enlarge the slot just a little. You want the hinge to be snug, but not hard to push in place. I smear a little Vaseline on the hinge area to keep the glue from locking the hinge, it works with Ca or epoxy. Just don't get any on the area where the glue goes. Epoxy or Ca works fine. If you use Ca, either use slow set and apply to the hinge and push in place, or place the hinge first and then wick thin Ca in, just like you would a Ca hinge. I you do it that way, make sure the hinge is exactly where you want it.

AirWizard 03-09-2006 10:57 PM

I use Gorlia Glue It will fill any gaps....just oil the hinges to keep them from sticking

Mike Baldwin 03-09-2006 11:36 PM

Does the Gorilla glue foam all over the place like does on hard wood?

GalenB 03-09-2006 11:45 PM

I Use Pacer Hinge glue. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCX67&P=ML

Sticks to the hinge and the wood, cleans up with water, and doesn't foam like Gorilla Glue (GG). I like GG for most things -- just not hinges...

Magna 03-10-2006 01:54 AM

I will see if the LHS have that one. Failing that I will use CA and than I will drilled and pinned it with toothpicks incase the CA brittled up and failed!

GalenB 03-10-2006 02:03 AM

I didn't notice that you were in Malayasia... If you can't get Pacer Hinge Glue then epoxy is the next best choice. Rough the hinges up a bit with sandpaper and put some oil on the hinge pin to keep the epoxy from sticking. Many use Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly) that has been melted for this. Once it cools it thickens back up and doesn't move out of the hinge pin and keeps the hinge lubricated.

red head 03-10-2006 04:01 PM

When using that kind of hinge I usually stand them all up on a piece of cardboard or something then take a toothpick, dip it in thin oil and let it drain down the pin. If I use Vasoline I put a little on the top of the hinge ( standing up ) then use my heat gun (carefullyly ) to warm it so it flows down the pin. ENJOY !!! RED

A. J. Clark 03-13-2006 12:30 AM

I use the fork slotting tool to put the slot in the wing and aileron. After I have a good fit for the hinge I take a ball point pen and run it a cross the slot to give it a bell shape. I use epoxy to mount the hinges. This makes it easier to get the epoxy in the slot. I then use chap stick to protect the the hinge joint. I use a small pocket knife to get the epoxy down in the slot. Put some on the hinge then slide it in. There's always some epoxy that pushes out. Don't bother it until it starts to set. When it's still like rubber peal it off and you won't have any mess this way.

Magna 03-14-2006 12:47 AM

I managed to get the Hinge glue from Pacer. Since its water based can I take it that its less messy or easier to deal compare to epoxy. Is this correct assumptions?

For the hinge glue, do I need to roughen up the hinge surface? Given that the slot need to be snug, the glue may have difficulty to get in so I will use a blade to slot the glue in first.

I like the heating the vaseline on top of the hinge and let it flow and cool down again. Alternatively I have ball bearing oil that come with needle nozzle so it will flow onto the pin if I use it.

da Rock 03-14-2006 07:57 AM

I managed to get the Hinge glue from Pacer. Since its water based can I take it that its less messy or easier to deal compare to epoxy. Is this correct assumptions?
It is A LOT EASIER to deal with compared to epoxy. You're absolutely correct.
I've done a couple of test installations using it and Dubro hinges. I didn't believe that it would be as strong as epoxy. It is absolutely strong enough. I tested to destruction. The wood was destroyed. The glue held the hinge flats in the holes. I wound up with hinges that had destroyed balsa glued to them.

For the hinge glue, do I need to roughen up the hinge surface? Given that the slot need to be snug, the glue may have difficulty to get in so I will use a blade to slot the glue in first.
You can roughen, but I don't bother anymore. I run a bead of glue along the slot and then use the side of a straight pin to press that glue into the slot. I then smear a thin coating of glue on the hinge flat that's going into the slot. I THINK THE IMPORTANT DETAIL is to make sure the holes in the hinge flat have glue in them. That insures that when the flat is in the slot, the glue will seal from one side of the balsa to the other side. We had to do that with epoxy, because the nylon hinge material can eventually separate from epoxy due to the properties of nylon. Those holes are what makes the hinges bulletproof. Those holes through the flats provide whatever glue you're using to created a "pin" bonding the balsa on one side of the flat to the balsa on the other side of the flat. The glue doesn't have to remain stuck to the flat.

I like the heating the vaseline on top of the hinge and let it flow and cool down again. Alternatively I have ball bearing oil that come with needle nozzle so it will flow onto the pin if I use it.
I quit going to all that trouble and effort after testing the hinge glue to see what effect it would have, if it would freeze the hinge. It won't if you take just very small precaution.

The glue sets up fairly soon after exposure to air. I usually glue all the hinges in a line into one surface at a time. For example, I get all the wing hinges into the wing before doing the actual gluing into the ailerons. Right after all the hinges are into the wing, right after I screw the top back on the glue bottle, I start to flip the exposed hinge flats up and down. I want to insure that they're all "square", plus I want to see if there is excess glue on the hinge itself.

I have a damp Q-tip on hand. If there is any glue on the hinge, the Q-tip VERY EASILY solves that problem. Every time I wipe off some glue from a hinge, and it only takes one swipe with a wet Q-tip, I almost break my face grinning. Man, epoxy was a blitch to deal with, wasn't it. Not having to deal with the vaseline and having to deal with gummy, excess epoxy was a real chore. What's the expense of a couple Q-tips? and it's dead simple to do 100% clean and perfect.
BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if the "excess" water from the Q-tip doesn't actually help the water based hinge glue to dissapate around that area. Man, there really don't seem to be any "design flaws" with the stuff.

This hinge glue is AWESOME!!!! Darned if I'm ever going to go back to epoxy. And it's as quick as CA hinges overall. I've seen absolutely no downsides to it.

Magna 03-15-2006 12:51 AM

darock

I tested the hinge glue, seems very impressive, The balsa spoilt and ruined before I can pull out the hinge.

So you actually do not oil the pin hinge and just used the wet Q Tips to clean up the center pin.