RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   ARF Building (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/4048172-arf-building.html)

mwranch 03-17-2006 09:58 PM

ARF Building

With the current "Pressed for time" mode we all seem bound to today, I have 3 questions:

1. Would an ARF completion service be of benifit to anyone?
2. Could a completely RTF "ready to fly" ARF, spec'ed by the RC'er intrest anyone?
3. Is this the right place to ask about such?

redfox435cat 03-17-2006 11:15 PM

RE: ARF Building

that kinda service would depend entirely on your local market because this kinda of service would be a customer by customer service. It would also depend on what kinda of scale your planning on. Is it going to be out of your garage or are you getting serious and obtaining shop space and hiring people. In reality the only RC businesses that do well are selling to a national audience. People like to think that their hobby shop's are making a killing for what they charge, I'll tell ya first hand they ain't making crap. Also for this to be done on a national level would incur huge shipping bills. Personally I've built several planes RTF's ARF ARC's and a few kits for others. I don't recognise it as a business nor do I even claim it since my income from it is really nill. When I think about it even receiving 3 g's for building a 1/5 scale P-51, with the time I put into it and the cost of materials it really didn't make much maybe 450 bucks totaling about 3 dollars an hour woohoo. that kinda of customer is few and far between. Most ARF I'd get like 50 dollars profit getting 6 bucks an hour which is still below chump change status but I like doing it and it's on the side.

Basically I'd say don't call it a business. Just put a small ad in your club news letter and talk to guys at your local fields and see how many takers you get. Since this hobby breeds idiots there are plenty of people that will pay ya to build there models, those guy usually make great repeat business since there wallets out weight their flying ability:D, problem is they don't last long in the hobby[&o] A couple of my retired buddys have so many projects from other people they wanna go back to work to get a break:D

Live Wire 03-17-2006 11:30 PM

You better be ready for a bunch of BS because the price will never be right and you will never put it to gether the way it was supposed to be:eek: Built in the USA;) no one will pay [8|when they by ARF's. They are looking for a CHEEP way out and look for a free ride and say it is the economy or the do not have the time to build but want to fly but do not have wing's or willpower or the ambition WHAT A CROCK

mwranch 03-18-2006 12:09 AM

Great! Great! Keep 'um coming. You guys are hitting the nail on the head! This kind of response is what I was hoping for. Food for thought is where I wanted to start. One off's is what the basis would be, even with the BS. Floor space is not a limitation. The expense/shipping etc., would be shouldered by the customer and or bank. And yes, my shop is a good set up, but, it is not for this kind of thing. That would have to remain seperate, as mine. I do value what is posted here. And I need others for that.

THIS IS GOOD STUFF!! Thanks

Rcpilot 03-18-2006 12:14 AM

I posted a flyer on the bulliten board at the local field.

I'll assemble an ARF or build a kit for anyone willing to pay. I'm not working, so I got lots of time. I enjoy the work. $3 or $6 an hour is more than I'm makin' sittin on my butt--so I'm willing to do it. $3 an hour is better than $0 an hr.

No takers yet. These Pueblo guys are tight. :eek:

rclement 03-18-2006 09:17 AM

There's a guy at our field that was out of work for a while and he made planes (arfs) for people but I don't think he made much at all doing it. I think he mostly did it to help out. I did taxidermy as a hobby for over 20 years and found that most of the time people just wanted a good deal so I ended up not making much at all out of it. It was rewarding and challenging but most of the time not very profitable. Usually in indeavors like that people just aren't willing to pay you what your time is worth.

Live Wire 03-18-2006 12:20 PM

Oh
I forgot to tell you building is what keeps me in the hobby:D other wise I could not afford it:eek:;)

ballgunner 03-18-2006 02:14 PM

I enjoy building so much that I often build for other club members. The only cost is for materials. I don't charge but I insist on being there for the first flight. Ain't RC fun?

Rcpilot 03-18-2006 07:06 PM

Got my first customer today. :D

I'm framing a kit for a guy.

mwranch 03-19-2006 12:59 AM

Congratulations Rcpilet!! Keep us all posted. Maybe I started a little something other builders and non-builders can benifit from. Let's keep going and see what happens.:D