RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   How do you fully discharge a Dynamite glow plug thingy. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/4082095-how-do-you-fully-discharge-dynamite-glow-plug-thingy.html)

chauvotsm 03-25-2006 07:33 PM

How do you fully discharge a Dynamite glow plug thingy.

Hi there. I've got a Dynamite glow plug heater upper. I've lost the directions and I need to know how to fully dischage the battery so I can condition the battery. Will it discharge if I hook it up to the charger without plugging the charger in? How do you guys do it?

mduslick 03-27-2006 06:48 PM

RE: How do you fully discharge a Dynamite glow plug thingy.

1 Attachment(s)
Is this the glow driver that you have?

Rcpilot 03-28-2006 12:32 AM

ORIGINAL: chauvotsm

Hi there. I've got a Dynamite glow plug heater upper. I've lost the directions and I need to know how to fully dischage the battery so I can condition the battery. Will it discharge if I hook it up to the charger without plugging the charger in? How do you guys do it?
Use it untill it won't light the plug. It's dead. Charge it overnight.

If it bothers you THAT bad, and you just HAVE to cycle it, simply buy a battery holder from any popular electronics supply house online. Solder the + and - leads from your charging jack to it and insert you battery. Plug in your battery cycler and set it to 1 cell. Done.

hattend 03-28-2006 12:12 PM

Cut your wall charger wires and put some Deans two pin connecting pins in line. Then make up a set of wires with a Deans connector attached for your cycler.

Put the glow head charger piece into the cycler pin and then plug the glow head into the battery. Cycle as normal.

Do not connect a glow head to the battery until it isn't glowing anymore and do not find another way to discharge the battery to zero...you do not want to discharge the battery completely flat as that will mess it up permanently.

Don

Villa 03-28-2006 12:57 PM

To discharge the driver, connect it to a flashlight battery bulb. It fits just like a glow plug does.

Sport_Pilot 03-28-2006 03:20 PM

I keep two rechargeable glow drivers and one can take a full C size so I keep an Alkaline C for extra backup. I just use them and charge it only after it's dead. Cycling really won't help, because there is no issue with a reliable drop off, plane won't crash, etc. Also no issue with partial recharging. I have had a glow driver battery last over a decade. Yes it needed frequent charging to the end, only getting just over half a dozen starts per charge towards the end, but it worked so I used it.