RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Mono-Kote A Cowl ? (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/449253-mono-kote-cowl.html)

Cougar-RCU 12-31-2002 02:21 AM

Mono-Kote A Cowl ?

Can this be done? Will it stay on?
Its Fiberglass, but painted.
Thanks
Jeff

TerrellFlyer 12-31-2002 03:07 AM

Mono-Kote A Cowl ?

Mono-Kote takes 270 degree heat to activate,Ultracote takes 220 degrees,I have covered glass and plastic with Ultracote by being very care full,also covered foam with Ultracote. Me and Mono-Kote are not the best of friends,I us it sometimes if the lhs is out of Ultracote.

Cougar-RCU 12-31-2002 03:09 AM

John,

Thanks!

BingoFlyer 12-31-2002 05:01 PM

Mono-Kote A Cowl ?

Jeff,

MonoKote can be applied to fiberglass. I think you would have to remove the paint first. The good thing about it is that you have a perfect color match the bad thing is that it was very hard for me to get the results that I wanted. An article in RCM awhile back told how to do this and is covered in a book sold by RCM. I am unable to think of his name but will post it if I can find the mag. it was in.

Cougar-RCU 12-31-2002 06:11 PM

Thanks

Morris~ :)

FLYBOY 12-31-2002 07:12 PM

Mono-Kote A Cowl ?

Don't waste your time with monokote on it. I use it for just about everything, but not over glass. I tried Ultracote, but didn't like it. If you don't mind lots of seam lines, it can be done. I would just sand it good and prime and paint it. Looks the best. I use an auto parts store in town and take them a sample of monokote on balsa, and they match it and put it in a rattle can for me. Costs about $12 and it matches every time. I tried TF paint that is supposed to be an exact match and it is not even close. Don't waste your time with it. The other way works so much nicer.

Cougar-RCU 12-31-2002 07:20 PM

FLYBOY

What auto parts store does this?
I am trying to match pearl white mono-kote
and how do they put that into a spray can?
thanks
Jeff

BingoFlyer 01-01-2003 12:12 PM

Mono-Kote A Cowl ?

Jeff,

IT IS worth the effort to cover glass with MonoKote, however I did give you the wrong info in my last post. The mag. that the article was in is Model Airplane News (don't know the issue) by Faye Stilley.

I usually have only one seam on cowls and wheel pants and have not had any come off or even loosen. The glass needs proper preparation to remove the mold release wax, gloss and of course oil from your hands. You start at the high point and use a trim iron doing only about 1/8" at a time I use a iron with a curved bottom. It takes a little time and effort but you don't have to buy costly paint that won't match (I always have MonoKote left over so there is no extra cost).

Get the copy of M.A.N. with the article (do a search) or buy the book, Covering R/C Airplanes by Faye Stilley.

Cougar-RCU 01-01-2003 12:19 PM

Morris

Thanks Again! ;)