RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Where can I get these virtual reality goggles? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/4802337-where-can-i-get-these-virtual-reality-goggles.html)

rwright142 09-28-2006 05:38 AM

Where can I get these virtual reality goggles?

DIY project merges VR goggles with RC airplane

This is a great video. Here is the introduction:

"Those crafty Canadians, they've invented everything from the beloved BlackBerry to medicalbots. Well, let's add another really sweet creation (DIY-style, this time) to the mix: a radio-controlled airplane with an on-board wireless pan-tilt camera that's linked up to a pair of VR goggles to show what the cam sees. When the terrestrial-bound viewer wears said goggles and moves his or her head, the plane-based cam will adjust accordingly -- if the viewer looks up, the cam looks up, and if the viewer looks to the left, the cam looks to the left, et cetera. Just check out the video linked below, for an amazing aerial tour of the "Club de golf Royal" in Bromont, Québec (near Montreal)."

[link=http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/27/diy-project-merges-vr-goggles-with-rc-airplane/]Flying from the cockpit.[/link]

rabraaten 10-20-2006 01:53 PM

RE: Where can I get these virtual reality goggles?

That stuff is really cool. I would think that it might be hard to get your orientation if you couldn't see the plane as a reference though. I just about died laughing when I saw him do a pass by himself though. Imagine going to a field somewhere and seeing one of the pilots standing there on the flightline with those big dark sunglasses on with a transmitter in his hand. It would be easy to fly out of sight range of the plane. Then all your buddies show up wondering what your flying....and you're just standing there moving the sticks...What a gas.

KW_Counter 10-20-2006 02:56 PM

This guy's got more money than common sense!
I love the technology!
But this guy was flying over roads, over houses, through playgrounds, etc.
This kind of activity is what will cause a bunch of regulations being imposed on us that we don't want or need.

The next group posting in here will be worrying about the terrorists.
Yes, all new technology can be used for good and evil.
That is no reason to stop developing.

Just my opinion,
KW_Counter

ricardo_mendizabal 10-25-2006 10:07 AM

You could get the vr goggles with www.rc-tech.ch they sell the goggles with giroscope included, also you can get some good vr goggles at www.icuiti.com, these are really good, and you coud buy the head giroscope separate in rc-tech.
I found a good aerial system wireless cam at www.tinywireless.com, you could make a good combo at reasonable price.

andrew66 10-25-2006 07:33 PM

can you say ryobi powered double scale kadet seniorita and a big big tank of gas?
i think i have to get me one of these (if i can scrape up the cash to do so)
i think that this project is definately going on my future projects list. I need to start writing this stuff down, the list is so long, ive forgotten most of it
as per the ppl who are afraid of the terrorist posibilities, i cant see them using it (theres no way for them to blow themselves up with one of these)

Flak 10-26-2006 02:10 PM

Awesome!!! I don't think it will be much longer and we'll have the ability to have 360 view cams. This will enable us to fly in formation and look at each other in the cockpit. Man, what cool dog fights we'll be able to have. Next thing will be paint ball guns mounted in our Warbirds. Let the War Games begin!!! Seriously, this is awesome technology. I suppose some one will soon be offering a package deal to us at an affordable price. I certainly want one.

LuftwaffeOberst 10-29-2006 01:15 PM

ORIGINAL: KW_Counter

This guy's got more money than common sense!
I love the technology!
But this guy was flying over roads, over houses, through playgrounds, etc.
This kind of activity is what will cause a bunch of regulations being imposed on us that we don't want or need.

The next group posting in here will be worrying about the terrorists.
Yes, all new technology can be used for good and evil.
That is no reason to stop developing.

Just my opinion,
KW_Counter

Exactly. Some people do stupid things already with R/C Aircraft. Just wait until this technology is more affordable, I'm kind of afraid to even think about it. With the money that's spent on all this equipment, you could get a Ultralight.

Peter Dowling aka Luftwaffe Oberst
AMA District II # 865404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY