RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Lazy Ace Wing weight? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/4813921-lazy-ace-wing-weight.html)

topwinguk 10-01-2006 08:43 AM

Lazy Ace Wing weight?

Hi Lazy Ace owners

I am about to build a Lazy Ace using foam ribs and cap strips and would like to know what a typical weight is for the upper wing, film covered if possible. Anyone able to weigh theirs, could they let me know the weight please?

Tony

eswaney 12-01-2006 01:16 PM

RE: Lazy Ace Wing weight?

1 Attachment(s)
I just recovered my Wing, I used a spruce spar, and capstrips as well with my constrtuction, My wing without any of the hardware for the interplane and cabanes comes in at 31oz.

eswaney 12-01-2006 01:18 PM

I did lose my plans, if anyone has a copy to spare that would be awsome, but really i just need the cg info.

topwinguk 12-02-2006 05:23 AM

Thanks for the info regarding the wing weight. I assume we are talking about the 76" Lazy Ace? The CG position for that version is 5 inches back from the leading edge of the top wing. I got my plans from the RCM plans list about a year ago but I believe that although the mag is not published any more, you can still get it on line from them. I am just completing the fuselage at present and I am using an SC 91 FS to power the ship. I'm into bipes big time and have a 6 foot DeBolt Custom bipe which will be 50 years old next year. Big bipe and only powered, nowadays by a Laser 50 FS which still has enough power to take it near vertical. Had to do a rebuild last year when I had a engine out on take off and broke the fuselages's back. First major in all that time. Spent last year scratch building an Aeromaster which was a major build from scratch, looks like the Lazy Ace is much easier from progress to date.

Thanks again

Tony

eswaney 12-02-2006 11:11 AM

Yes, this is the 76". Mine is powered with a 33cc Homelite chainsaw conversion. More than enough power, and yet I can slow her down so much that you can walk right along with it. That always impressed the guys at the field, I would bring her low and slow, buzz the field. She has a very low roll rate though and inverted flight is hard to maintain. I suppose the dihedral in the bottom wing is the reason. I thought about making a 2nd set of wings for her. Making both semisemetrical with no dihedral and maybe 15 degrees swept would perk her right up.

topwinguk 12-02-2006 11:36 AM

Yea I thought about that as well, particularly the top wing sweepback. More like the Aeromaster! Maybe see how it goes after I finish this one. I have had problems also with other bipes using rubber bands so my Lazy Ace will be fitted with bolt downs.

Tony

mangolo 12-02-2006 03:34 PM

Lazy Ace 76 RCM plans
basswood spars balsa ribs and capstrips
Top wing, no cover,2 coats of clear dope:26oz
Lower wing,no cover,2 coats of clear dope,ailerons covered with ultresa (koverall):28oz

Waldo