RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Exhaust Residue on Servo? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/482064-exhaust-residue-servo.html)

SpockF4 01-14-2003 09:42 PM

Exhaust Residue on Servo?

Just wondering. Will the oily exhaust residue cause more wear
and tear on an external servo mounted in the tail? I've never had an airplane with the elevator and rudder servos located back in the tail and was curious if the residue will trash the servo. Maybe the extra lube is good for the bearings :D Thanks for the info.
Ken

Kevlar 01-15-2003 03:37 AM

Oil?

1 Attachment(s)
I can't honestly say it would be good for the servo. Get yourself one of those toys out a 25 cent dispenser, you know, the ones you can get football helmets or little rings etc. and trim so it acts like a cover for the servo. See pic.

Bad pic, but hopefully you get the idea....although, depending on your application, it could add some dynamic air flow, that would push the tail a little...

Groundforce-RCU 01-15-2003 12:05 PM

Get a hold of some #9 round balloons. Stretch them over the servo. Use a pin to poke a hole where the rod comes out the servo. Used to use that set up when running the trucks in mud, rain, whatever....should do the same for the oil.

Tattoo 01-15-2003 12:14 PM

I've been flying combat planes with external servos for years...very often the throttle servo gets soaked. Some of these servos have been in 50+ airplanes and have been drenched in oil and sprayed with windex and cleaned hundreds of times. They are still going fine. I've also replaced gears in these servos after combat damage, and it's amazing how only mynute amounts of exhaust oil actually get inside, and cause no harm...in fact, if anything, helps lubricate.

MinnFlyer 01-15-2003 04:37 PM

Nice pic Kevlar

And I like the servo condom idea too GF!

tiggerinmk 04-18-2003 01:50 PM

Dual ailoron servos on atrainer?

I'm currently putting together a Hobbistar and will be using seperate aileron servos mounted on the underside of each wing in the sheeted area.

It just occurred to me (from experience on my ex Superstar 60) that one these servos will be in the direct line of fire from the exhaust.

the amount of residue hitting this servo will be a lot more than that of a tail servo.

I'm thinking of putting half a plastic egg in front of the servo to shield it, good idea?

ReallyUglyStick 04-18-2003 11:56 PM

another cover is one side of the packaging from a plastic spinner, and it's aerodynamically shaped.

CafeenMan 04-19-2003 04:51 AM

The tail rotor servo on my raptor literally got drenched every single flight. I mean oil would actually drip from the servo. I worried about it to, but the heli guys said it wasn't a problem. I still don't really trust it, but it never had any problems.

conkster 04-20-2003 03:21 PM

residue on servo

hi,
i got fuel res on my throttle servo of my pbf. when i turned the battery on a few days later the servo arm went to full throttle + 1/4 turn. i took the servo apart & cleaned & dried the pot & board & it works fine now. btw, i also had a fuel leak on the fuel line & i think the prop blew raw fuel into the servo ,i think that was my biggest problem because i`ve gotten residue on it many times before & since then. just my $.02 worth
conk