RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Wondering about a couple of old plane engines... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/4873353-wondering-about-couple-old-plane-engines.html)

Scotch! 10-16-2006 01:12 AM

Wondering about a couple of old plane engines...

I have a couple of NIB (new-in-box) airplane engines, and I'm wondering about how old they are, and whether they are worth using on a new plane.

The first one: made by HB (Helmut Bernhardt), in Germany. "HB 40 PDP-Chrom" Catalogue number - 002.112

The second one, which seems nicer: made by Supertigre, in Italy. "S75 RING R/C W/M" cod. 11001878.

If had to guess, I'd say maybe 20-25 years old?

I'd like to get into planes, and I figure with a free, and working engine, a big part of the cost is out of the way. I also have an old NIB radio set (Tx, Rx, servos) in the closet; Futaba, I think. So all I really need is a plane, I guess. hehe

BTW, I'm also posting this at RCTech.net....

Thanks!
~S~

Flak 10-16-2006 02:12 AM

RE: Wondering about a couple of old plane engines...

Go with the Super Tigre 75, a very good engine. I have one that is about that old and it runs flawlessly. Good luck. Make sure your radio is at least FM Gold Stickered.

da Rock 10-16-2006 06:09 AM

Both engines are quality ones. Both will probably take a little breaking in. Engines nowadays are made to have very short breakins. Some years back, they weren't.

What is the model of your radio? And frequency?

firstplaceaviator 10-16-2006 06:55 AM

They are both great engines!
The Supertiger is probably the more user friendly engine. It would be great on a .60 size trainer!
The HB is a real power house! I had one on a Sig Kougar.
It easily exceeded 100 MPH and had nearly unlimited vertical!
Like Darok said, both will probably need a while for beak in.
As long as they run consistantly on the ground, I would go ahead ana fly them.
Just run them rich for the first gallon of fuel and they should be fine.
Doug

Scotch! 10-16-2006 09:48 PM

Thanks so much for the rapid replies, all!

So I've got two very good engines, great, that's a huge step toward building my first plane. Though, perhaps I should just buy a cheap trainer before I put one of these nice engines in a plane. That way I can screw up a lesser engine. :P

I dug out the radio. It's a Futaba FP-8SGA.P It uses PCM, not FM. Is that a problem? Frequency: 72.790 MHz. Channels: 8 Servos: 4 Seems like a really nice piece - very solid switches. It has a trainer plug, but I assume that I'd have to find someone who has a PCM controller, or (less likely), someone who has the same model to use it?

Any idea how old this stuff is?

Thanks again!

firstplaceaviator 10-17-2006 12:08 AM

The 8GSAP was one of my all time favorite radios. It just fit my hands Sooo Nice...
It was the top of the line Futaba back then!
Make sure it is narrow band and 1991 legal with a gold sticker!!!
That radio dates back to the late 1980's.
The Supertiger could be up to 25 years old.
The HB engines were manufactured for a long time. But, I believe your engine to be 10-25 years old.
A new G75 Supertiger, is only $109.00. I would buy a 60 size ARF trainer, slap in the .75 and start flying!
Save that HB for a fast .40 size airframe.
Doug

Scotch! 10-17-2006 12:43 AM

ORIGINAL: firstplaceaviator

The 8GSAP was one of my all time favorite radios. It just fit my hands Sooo Nice...
I agree. And it feels so solid; I'm not used to switches like that on a "toy".

It was the top of the line Futaba back then!
:D Everything does seem pretty top-notch. Though, I hate the fact that the battery isn't easily changed, at least not without tools. Is the fact that it's PCM instead of FM a detriment, a plus, or are they about the same?

Make sure it is narrow band and 1991 legal with a gold sticker!!!
That radio dates back to the late 1980's.
Uh-oh, I don't see a gold sticker anywhere. Where would I find it? Can it be MADE legal? Is that a problem as far as the FCC is concerned?

The Supertiger could be up to 25 years old.
If it helps, the stickers on it say the retail is $154.95, marked down to $114.95

The HB engines were manufactured for a long time. But, I believe your engine to be 10-25 years old.
A new G75 Supertiger, is only $109.00. I would buy a 60 size ARF trainer, slap in the .75 and start flying!
Save that HB for a fast .40 size airframe.
Doug
Awesome, thanks for all the info!

~S~

firstplaceaviator 10-17-2006 07:20 AM

Everything does seem pretty top-notch. Though, I hate the fact that the battery isn't easily changed, at least not without tools. Is the fact that it's PCM instead of FM a detriment, a plus, or are they about the same?
PCM is a plus. But, I think the 8GSAP is a PCM512. The 512 is virtually obsolete. I don't think their are any receivers manufactured today for it. Futaba recently released PCM2048 on the 12Z and M14Z radios.

Uh-oh, I don't see a gold sticker anywhere. Where would I find it? Can it be MADE legal? Is that a problem as far as the FCC is concerned?
That could be a problem. In 1991 R/C was Narrow Banded. I think the 8GSAP is narrow band though. Check with Radio South or D&M Electronics. Either one can help you there.

If it helps, the stickers on it say the retail is $154.95, marked down to $114.95
Well, R/C Engines and radios really haven't changed much in pricing over the last 25 years. You may be able to find a copyright date on some of the paperwork. Both engines and radios have got much better through the years. But the prices actually seem cheaper today!

Scotch! 10-17-2006 12:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Everything does seem pretty top-notch. Though, I hate the fact that the battery isn't easily changed, at least not without tools. Is the fact that it's PCM instead of FM a detriment, a plus, or are they about the same?
PCM is a plus. But, I think the 8GSAP is a PCM512. The 512 is virtually obsolete. I don't think their are any receivers manufactured today for it. Futaba recently released PCM2048 on the 12Z and M14Z radios.
Wel, that's cool, I guess.

That could be a problem. In 1991 R/C was Narrow Banded. I think the 8GSAP is narrow band though. Check with Radio South or D&M Electronics. Either one can help you there.
Hmm, maybe they can. If it's not, I assume that I could be fined for using it? Is it worth trying to make it legal?

Well, R/C Engines and radios really haven't changed much in pricing over the last 25 years. You may be able to find a copyright date on some of the paperwork. Both engines and radios have got much better through the years. But the prices actually seem cheaper today!
hehe I looked for a copyright date on all the paperwork, castings, even on the boxes, just to find /some/ sort of clue. The art and copy on the Supertigre look like it came from the 50s and 60s, so that's no help. :P

I thought that I'd shoot a pic of the engines for ya, but I don't see it in my preview. I hope it turns out...

firstplaceaviator 10-17-2006 01:00 PM

I doubt that you would be fined for using it. There is a good possibility of loss of control from interference. I wouldn't take that risk! A model can do way too much damage to whatever it hits.
Give Dave a call at D&M Heres his website: http://www.dnmelectronics.com/

The pics make me think the Supertiger is early 90's and the HB is early 80's. There should be a date code on the Supertigre paperwork. You may have to inerprate it from a longer set of numbers. It won't tell you when your engine was manufactured. But it will give an idea of age.

Scotch! 10-18-2006 12:22 AM

I doubt that you would be fined for using it. There is a good possibility of loss of control from interference. I wouldn't take that risk! A model can do way too much damage to whatever it hits.
Yikes. I didn't know interference was the issue. I live out in the middle of nowhere, but there is a R/C plane club in So. Ohio that I might fly with, so I guess I'd better get that radio legal...

Give Dave a call at D&M Heres his website: http://www.dnmelectronics.com/
Will do! Thanks! In fact, I'll probably send him an e-mail. :)

The pics make me think the Supertiger is early 90's and the HB is early 80's. There should be a date code on the Supertigre paperwork. You may have to inerprate it from a longer set of numbers. It won't tell you when your engine was manufactured. But it will give an idea of age.
Hmm, the only code on the paperwork I found was 09500891. Whatever, I'm just satisfied that I have a decent engine (well, two) on which to build a plane. Woohoo!