RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Wich prop is the best? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/4875271-wich-prop-best.html)

Rate1 10-16-2006 02:20 PM

Wich prop is the best?

Wich prop is the best one to use?

Some argue the APC is the best one to use on small to mid sized engines?
On large engines, glow and gas, some claim a carbon fiber prop from Bolly, PT model, or Mejzlik is the best. However, lately more people have started to use the NX wood props, instead of CF props, on large/gas engine.
Some think the cost of the prop should be considered when deciding wich one is the best to use while other don't.

There is thrust calculating programs that is taking into account what kind of prop that is used. Can this programs figure be trusted?

Wich prop do you think is best for what application, what engine size and why.

Sport_Pilot 10-16-2006 02:33 PM

RE: Wich prop is the best?

For small engines the MA, Zinger, and TF wood props work best, but wood breaks easily. For durable props APC is good, though sometimes I get better performance from MA, sometimes not. The problem with MA is that they flex enough that some pitch goes out of the prop which usually hurts but sometimes actually helps. The wood Zinger props will load down the engine more because they will move more air. To get the engine to its power band you will have to go to a lower pitch or smaller diameter. When you do so they usually, not always work better than the APC.

Charlie P. 10-16-2006 03:15 PM

In the 1.20 size and down the APC seems to run quieter (a club I guest fly at their range safety officer checks). Word among the pattern flyers is that it is the prop of choice, but I don't know what they are basing their decision on. I see a lot of Zinger props on the big gas jobs at my IMAA club, but then these are usually big scale jobs and the original planes of those designs used wood props. They just look right.

I like the looks of wood, and if I'm not flying a performance model I use it. In anything that's a glow-powered sport plane I fly APC. I've been very satisfied with every prop I ever bought from them. On a .40 size "vintage" biplane a TopFlite also looks right and I will sacrifice performance for that look.

da Rock 10-16-2006 06:55 PM

There is thrust calculating programs that is taking into account what kind of prop that is used. Can this programs figure be trusted?
The program should not be trusted. Supposedly identical props of the same make and specifications will give different results when run one right after the other. There is no reason to believe that the program has any magic to it. And there are a number of different props from each manufacturer, so that program would have to specify not only the mfg, but the specific line of props by that mfg. And manufacturers often change the details of their props yet keep the original name for the type they changed. I've used a certain brand of props for about 50 years and the new ones I bought the other day don't look much like any of the previous ones. I doubt the program would have kept up with changes since it was written.

Just a few years ago, it was accepted that props are only 75% efficient. Today, it is accepted by some engine experts that the old 75% figure isn't true anymore. The props they are a changing.............

Richard L. 10-17-2006 01:12 AM

For small glow engines below 1.40, I like to use Graupner and more recently the new MA Scimitar S-2. On larger gas engines, I like carbon props, such as Bolly, Biela, and Mejzlik.