RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Removing oil from saturated balsa? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/487564-removing-oil-saturated-balsa.html)

JoshFlies3D 01-17-2003 01:11 AM

Removing oil from saturated balsa?

Hello...

I have been flying my Kyosho Flip 3D and exhaust oil is leaking inside the wing and fuse due to Kyosho's low-budget covering job. I remembered something about removing oil from wood with a spot remover....does anybody know what would work for this? :confused:

And for anyone who is in the process of building a Flip 3D make sure you seal the area where the wing meets the fuselage with some foam tape....and an exhaust divereter would help to .

Any help would be appreciated .

Thanks

Steve Guinn 01-17-2003 01:19 AM

K2r Spot Remover. It takes repeat applications, but works very well.

gary9648 01-17-2003 01:20 AM

Go to any Wamart or Kmart and look for K2r spot lifter from Texize. It comes in a Yellow, white &blue 6 oz. can. Shake it up spray it on and wait till it dries. Then just brush it off or vaccum it off. I have used this for may a year. It costs about $3.29 a can.
Saved my Bacon many times.
Let me know if you find it.
Regards,
Gary Webb

TES 01-17-2003 01:25 AM

One way is buy a product sold @ Walmart call KR-2 Spot Remover. It sprays on and dries to a white power. It does a pretty good job. It might take 2 or 3 applications. I'm sure there is others but this worked ok for me.

Good Luck
Tom

NM_Mark 01-17-2003 03:04 AM

Be sure to check you glue joints afterwards...I've heard somewhere that this stuff can eat away CA...

Mark

www.vmpflyers.com

mscic-RCU 01-17-2003 07:50 PM

You might also try alcohol and baby powder or corn starch. Soak the affected area with alcohol and put the baby powder or corn starch on top. Let the alcohol dry brush off the powder. Works real good on badly saturated wood.

JoshFlies3D 01-18-2003 03:47 AM

Thanks

Thanks for all your help.
Im going to go and buy some KR-2 and try that.

Steve Guinn 01-18-2003 04:19 AM

Really think you ought to try the K2r. :D

jgiles-RCU 01-18-2003 03:43 PM

Make sure the balsa is still good after using the K2r. Poke it with a pin or small screwdriver to check for solidity. You may want to do this before applying the K2r, because if the wood is shot, you'll need to replace it anyways.

JoshFlies3D 01-19-2003 09:43 PM

Oil Removal

After hearing your posts........i started working on my Flip because the landing gear block was starting to crack..... I decided to fly in the field next to my house the next day......and I soaked the balsa with alchohal and put cornstarch on it...it sucked all the oil out and the wood is fine now . I think i will still buy some KR2 to see if it works any better .

Steve Guinn 01-19-2003 10:28 PM

You guys R driving me CRAZY. The product is..K2r