RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/)
-   -   Wing loading on Extra300s (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/questions-answers-154/4877480-wing-loading-extra300s.html)

ArmedZagi 10-16-2006 09:58 PM

Wing loading on Extra300s

Just curious, but I finaly got around to checking out the wing loading on my 62" wingspan Extra300s. Its got a wing loading of 33.36 oz per square foot. I've never owned a similar plane so I cant really compare it to anything else...but is it just me or does it seem unreasonably high? I havnt made any mods other than some side force generators, but they are built out of sticks and are very light.

alan0899 10-16-2006 10:27 PM

RE: Wing loading on Extra300s

G'day Mate,
Did you check it correctly, that does seem a bit high,
I'm sure you know anyway, But, It is weight in Ounces X Wing area in SQ feet. Some of these manufacturers use Decimeters & grams & stuff, so just be a bit careful when you do you calculations.

agexpert 10-16-2006 10:56 PM

I agree, that is high. Does it stall easy? That's in the realm of big***** warbird with sheeted wings and angle-iron reinforced firewall.

exeter_acres 10-17-2006 06:45 AM

Which model is it...

Yes those numbers sound high...but I wouldn't doubt it... I have not yet seen a scale acrobat in the smaller sizes that didn't have high wing loading

ArmedZagi 10-17-2006 11:08 AM

Its the Graupner Extra300s. I have an OS .61 FX on it.

I used this online calculator to determine the wing loading. And yes this plane is terrible about stalls, I have to come in quick on landings. And that wing loading is with an EMPTY fuel tank...heh

Edit: The plane is in my galary if ya'll want to check it out...Im to lazy to post the pictures :D

alan0899 10-18-2006 01:56 AM

G'day Mate,
I just checked out the specs on your plane, & it comes out to 23.1Ozs/ Sq ft wing loading, so what does your weigh, because it has a suggested weight of 6.61lbs, & that seems about right, for that size plane.

RVM 10-18-2006 03:13 AM

Fliton Extra 330... several plan-built Extra 300s in a 60" size...

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

Which model is it...

Yes those numbers sound high...but I wouldn't doubt it... I have not yet seen a scale acrobat in the smaller sizes that didn't have high wing loading

ArmedZagi 10-18-2006 09:08 AM

ORIGINAL: alan0899

G'day Mate,
I just checked out the specs on your plane, & it comes out to 23.1Ozs/ Sq ft wing loading, so what does your weigh, because it has a suggested weight of 6.61lbs, & that seems about right, for that size plane.
Mine is right around 8lbs....[:-]...I havent changed anything on the plane, and it was an ARF...so where did all the wieght come from? Its nearly a pound and a half over the manufacturer's wieght....

alan0899 10-19-2006 01:46 AM

G'day Mate,
That's the question, where did the extra weight come from, sorry, but only you can answer that one.
Did you add some extra expoxy here & there?
Did you add some extra ply here & there?
Did you add anything, like smoke tanks or on board glow batteries, etc?

ArmedZagi 10-19-2006 07:58 AM

ORIGINAL: alan0899

G'day Mate,
That's the question, where did the extra weight come from, sorry, but only you can answer that one.
Did you add some extra expoxy here & there?
Did you add some extra ply here & there?
Did you add anything, like smoke tanks or on board glow batteries, etc?
Other than the side force generators (which greatly improved its flight charecteristics) I added half a paint stick to beef up the servo tray...other than that its just like it was out of the box. Im thinking graupner was a 'lil off on their weight claim...I wouldnt doubt it...half the instructions were written wrong to.